Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Universal Power Supply for MP3 Player?

• 19-09-2007 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I need to get a new charger for my Zen Sleek Photo, but unfortunately Creative discontinued them so I can't get one direct and Ebay/Amazon and all the rest don't seem to have what I need.

So....I was thinking a Universal Power Supply would do the trick. It needs to be AC to DC, with an output of 5V-1.5A. I can find one in Peats for 5V-2.5A, i'm guessing that's no use? Any idea where I'd get one? Tried Maplin but no joy.

It plugs into a docking station, but there's no transformer in it. The USB cable doesn't charge it unfortunately either.

Any help is very welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

The one in Peats should be fine. The 2.5 A is the maximum that the transformer can supply, as long as it's higher than required you're grand. Once you make sure you have appropriate connector and get the polarity right you'll be good to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Cool, cheers for the reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

yeah the 2.5a one will be fine. the creative will probably have some awkward type of proprietary head for the player though so you just cut off the head from the broken charger. I had to do that for my "troublesome crock of balls" commodore pmc30.

just check the polarity and solder the wires together and bingo. youre good as new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

mawk wrote:
    yeah the 2.5a one will be fine. the creative will probably have some awkward type of proprietary head for the player though so you just cut off the head from the broken charger. I had to do that for my "troublesome crock of balls" commodore pmc30.

just check the polarity and solder the wires together and bingo. youre good as new.

Cheers, it's actually just a regular head that plugs into the docking station and the ups from peats gives different sized heads that you can just flip to change the polarity. Sweet.

Advertisement