Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

irish junior science olympics

• 19-09-2007 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

did anyone get invited to them? my friend did, he's unreal at science like. i'm jealous out like, if he gets through he gets a free trip to nicosia! if only they had a maths one only :D i'm better than him at maths like and it said on his form he scored very high marks in maths and science!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

There's a maths olympiiad as well. Destination this year (well actually next year) is Spain, I believe. It was Vietnam last year, oh how I regret how little work I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

coolio, never heard of either of these, how you know if you got invited? (still holding on to a small bit of hope)

I got a letter about it.. for the maths olympiiad anyway I think you can go along to the lectures anyway without being invited. Though I didn't do the junior science *******d, I did the EUSO, but I imagine it's similar enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waheyyy

timmywex wrote:
    coolio, never heard of either of these, how you know if you got invited? (still holding on to a small bit of hope)
    well my friend got called to the ofice today at lunch, the prinicpal gave him a letter and there was the invite.... i think it was from dcu???? or something. jr euso or something it's called.

whoa i'm shocked i got a letter today too! woop! don't know which science to pick though! there's a test in dcu on 10th november for all the finalists! anyone have any ideas what's actually on the test? is it like the junior cert syllabus or what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ¬wicked¬

ye i got invited:D:D:D - I think I'll pick physics...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

I got an invite also.
    Really tough decision as to which science I should pick.
    I couldn't believe it when I got it though as no one else I know was invited.
    Does anyone know how many are invited altogether?
    I am better at maths than at at science and if expecting an invite to one of these "box socials" I would always have assumed maths before science almost every time (Got 99% in maths in the mocks).
    But as it says on the invite "The SEC has informed me that you scored very high marks in both science and maths".
    Such is life. I won't complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm so jealous :(

well i picked chemistry in the end. don't know why. just had a feeling about it. i got the less stress more success chemistry for lc. damn it's hard. tell me, am i just wasting my time learning any of it?

Does anyone know how many are invited altogether?
    they said here http://www.dcu.ie/*******ds/faq.shtml the top 300

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭CiaraBelle

I got a letter too, don't know what science to pick yet. is everyone going to cram leaving cert science before the exam? Cos I don't want to go in if everyone has done that and not me!!, and I have so much to do in TY that i don't think I'd have time even if I wanted to...:(

i dont know, i got the lc chemistry book but it's serious hard **** like. i cant learn it in a month anyway like! i have so much other stuff too in ty lik urself!! urgh!! no one i know has done it before its so annoying i dont know what to expect!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Turquoise

Memories....from the corner of my mind...ahem
    I got invited to them a couple of years ago, the Science one, and the seperate Maths one. Should I be ashamed to say that there was no way I was dragging myself out of bed on a Saturday morning for extra school work? I'm probably a disgrace to nerds everywhere. j/k
    Just because I'm good at it, doesn't mean I enjoy it, you know?

I know a couple of people who went, and a girl who got through and went to the actual Maths *******d to represent Ireland as part of a team. It's hard going, but if you enjoy it, it's worth it. As far as I know the Science one is just the JC course, though don't quote me on that. ;) I wouldn't stress over it anyway. ;)

Oh, and you get invited back in fifth year as well. ;) I didn't go then either, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 hurlingguy

There's a maths olympiiad as well. Destination this year (well actually next year) is Spain, I believe. It was Vietnam last year, oh how I regret how little work I did.
    My mate went to UL for 10weeks training for that at the start of the year.

Yeah, I did it in UCD, shall probably be doing it again this year, starting near christmas I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Yeah, I did it in UCD, shall probably be doing it again this year, starting near christmas I think!
    When did you get the invite?

For this year, haven't got an invite (yet if at all)... It's possible there was an invitation included in the results for the IMO this year, I can't remember.
    If I haven't got word closer to the date, I'll email one of the lecturer guys asking if I can go back sure.

Advertisement