Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog eating blackberries.

Options
  • 19-09-2007 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Noticed today that Nero - my male dobie was munching away on blackberries along the ditch. He was picking them very deftly off the branches and even seemed to know only to pick the black ripe ones.

I have never known a dog to eat blackberries and the other two were looking at him as if he was mad and would not touch them. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

My bull terrier was doing the same the other day, she seemed to love them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

My mutt (beagle x) loves them too to my surprise. But then she eats cow- and sheepsh**e too, even peat crumbs from beside the fireplace. Thinking of it, she eats everything. I should have called her Hoover or Piggy ... :D

Nothing to worry about the blackberries. Full of vitamins (and little worms, spiders and flies).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

i know a dog that eats raspberries, my neighbours dog eats raw courgettes as well. nutcase of a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

palaver wrote:
    Nothing to worry about the blackberries. Full of vitamins (and little worms, spiders and flies).

And can often be ejected after processing in the form of a very strong dye!:D

Better mind your carpets!!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

It's a dobie thing, I'm convinced of it.:) My 2 gorge themselves on them everyday in the garden, the other 2 dogs never go near them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

We used to have a beagle-cross and he'd sit by your leg when you were peeling the vegetables at the sink. He'd devour anything from raw cauliflower to carrots to broccoli. He loved it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sfinksas

My dog very like onions... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

All dogs will eat blackberries if given a chance. Foxes love them!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

sfinksas wrote:
    My dog very like onions... :)

Onions (in large quantities) are poisonous for dogs ! (so is raw garlic).

In our so called "garden" there are tons of blackberries ...none left on doggy height though :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my dog, has eaten all the strawberries, rasberries and gooseberries grown in my garden this year

i also caught him digging up the potatoes!!!!!
    :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

My dog Fudge loves raw carrots, he will eat them all day if given the chance
    alexdenby6 wrote:
    i know a dog that eats raspberries, my neighbours dog eats raw courgettes as well. nutcase of a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

My guys love blackberries....they'd happily sit and graze off the bushes for hours if I let them. They are so engrossed I have to keep reminding them what they've come outside to do *LOL*.

But I draw the line at letting them eat Sloes....the sloes are for my gin ffs...get off you hounds! They'd strip all the low hanging sloes if I let them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Padjo1981 wrote:
    My dog Fudge loves raw carrots, he will eat them all day if given the chance

My dog Fudge also eats raw carrots - she's also fond of jellyfish, clothes pegs and horse ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

alexdenby6 wrote:

leave my poor Mr. Pippins alone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

My dog for some reason loves to chew raw potatoes. She doesn't eat them but likes to chew them and throw them around. My nutcase baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

My neighbour's apple tree overhangs into our garden so lately the dogs are always heading out and coming back with apples to chew on. It wouldn't be such a problem except they will always decide they both want the same apple and squabble and tug of war over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

aww this thread has made me smile....we thought our boxer was the only nutty dog about!!

our dog loves [and has robbed out of our hand!] BANANAS..., apples ,raw broccoli and his latest craze is frubes...yip you know the ones..petit filous yoghurt in tubes! i just open the top for him and then he puts it between his paws and squeezes!!

so funny he is

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭flipsat

My guys love blackberries....they'd happily sit and graze off the bushes for hours if I let them. They are so engrossed I have to keep reminding them what they've come outside to do *LOL*.

But I draw the line at letting them eat Sloes....the sloes are for my gin ffs...get off you hounds! They'd strip all the low hanging sloes if I let them :D

Fortunately my dog didn't like the sloes I was picking for sloe gin, though she will probably like to lick the finished product...........if I can spare her a lick! Caught her red handed (or pawed) eating our strawberries. Some ripening tomatoes have disappeared too, but in fairness to her I am sure there are other scavengers in the garden too

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

What a funny thread...

A dog of mine used to like belts. You had to watch them all the time around him. Odd I know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Yeah my dog eats them too :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

cmurph wrote:
    his latest craze is frubes...yip you know the ones..petit filous yoghurt in tubes! i just open the top for him and then he puts it between his paws and squeezes!!
    this really made me smile

Advertisement