Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places for MP3 Players while cycling

Options
  • 19-09-2007 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

Is there any item out there recommended to hold a iPod while cycling in full Road Cycling cloths preferably something waterproof. It can get lonely cycling early on Sunday mornings. I know it can be dangerous but what ways have you gone about this?

I don't like putting it in the rear jacket pockets in case I hit a bump and its falls out and smashes

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

I bought this built like a rock, solid as, and fecking deadly mp3 player when i lost my €300 zen as a dirt cheap replacement. It's tiny, cheap, and incredibly durable. I just tuck it into my waistband on my shorts and away I go. Rain/Sweat/Falling on it have yet to make a mark on it (I lie, i cracked the screen when i fell on it really hard:o )

Best €15 i've ever spent. If you're worried about damaging an expensive MP3 player and are going to get an armband or whatever, i'd recommend this. If you fall on an IPOD or whatever, you're fecked. This boyo, you truly can't go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Oh, and a few weeks ago i found my zen in a shoe in my wardrobe. I still use the 7Dayshop one cos it's quality! Never use the big heavy zen, ever.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Use a jersey or jacket with a zipped pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Try the online Apple store.
    I saw a moisture resistant armband there for 30 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

The best place for the MP3 player, while cycling is....at home, all the better to hear what's coming from behind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HJ Simpson

The best place for the MP3 player, while cycling is....at home, all the better to hear what's coming from behind.

Could not agree more! Is it not illegal to cycle with headphones anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Since you won't be able to change tracks that much, get one of these: http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/test_new/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=21682

It's a few inches big, and will fit in any pocket.

Also, get these: http://www.dealtime.com/xPO-Street-Style-Headphone-with-Turbo-Duct as they allow you to listen to your music, but still hear the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

HJ Simpson wrote:
    Is it not illegal to cycle with headphones anyway?
    No, not specifically. I am sure there is some law they could drag you up on, cycling without due care or something. Any law they could do you on, they could probably do you for the same thing in a car for listening to the radio.

Eating is not specifically illegal in cars but I think people have been done for it.

The crazy thing is smoking is still legal in cars, while using a mobile isn't. Holding an ignited roll of burning leaves going down a motorway is dangerous if it falls on your lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wouldn't be of the blanket opinion that players on bikes == bad. It all depends on the volume. I listen to the radio on my commute and it doesn't reduce my ability to hear traffic behind me. The radio is high enough that I can hear it but low enough that I can hear the traffic. If I hit a certain speed or in high winds, the sound of the breeze overpowers both anyway.
    Ears are no substitute for turning your head and looking around anyway.

I'm not sure if it's customary to have a backpack (even one of those giant water-filled one) in full road gear, but my own has a pocket in the top specifically for the MP3 player. You just feed the earphone cable through a small (fairly watertight) hole in the top of the bag.
    Then I bought earphones with a lanyard that goes around your neck and a cable that splits in the middle. So if the cable gets caught on any part of the bike, it just disconnects (rather than ripping the earphones out of my ear), and if an earphone falls out, it stays attached to the lanyard. Found them extremely handy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Wheelworx

If you wrap your i pod in cling film it will be pretty waterproof and you will still be able to operate the controls, I also do this when running.
    Zip up pocket is a good idea or stuff it in the waistband of your shorts (If they dont have a bib)
    Rob

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

I don't like putting it in the rear jacket pockets in case I hit a bump and its falls out and smashes

I'd say that's highly unlikely. I've had all sorts of loose stuff in my jersey pockets, never had anything fall out. In fact it hardly even moves, and I go over some very bumpy road surfaces (at speed).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rubadub wrote:
    No, not specifically. I am sure there is some law they could drag you up on, cycling without due care or something. Any law they could do you on, they could probably do you for the same thing in a car for listening to the radio
    Bicycles by law need a bell, but they are sod all use because of the level of SOUNDPROOFING in modern cars, nevermind if the radio is on or not.

When cars have a reduced level of soundproofing such that emergency service vehicles can revert back to using the older less loud sirens them maybe..

I used to get a pair of headphones and put them behind my ears. Quality isn't that good though but you don't block as much traffic noise that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I always stick stuff in my jersey pocket and have never had any problem with things falling out, doesn't get wet when it rains either as it's on my back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

seamus wrote:
    I wouldn't be of the blanket opinion that players on bikes == bad. It all depends on the volume. I listen to the radio on my commute and it doesn't reduce my ability to hear traffic behind me. The radio is high enough that I can hear it but low enough that I can hear the traffic. If I hit a certain speed or in high winds, the sound of the breeze overpowers both anyway.
    Ears are no substitute for turning your head and looking around anyway.

Perhaps the most sound advice here so far (excuse pun!). I have yet to be surprised by a car when I cycle, I often pop the right earphone out so I can hear better, but a quick glance over your shoulder is the safest choice. I have been behind many cyclists, who sway from side to side and I can't overtake, ears free from anything bar wax and yet they never once seem to glance behind . I put my ipod in the second puch of a jansport bag (in the little "stationary holder" I guess). More recently however I have been using an Altura Night Vision Windproof Jacket and stick the ipod in the front pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i have my MP3 player in my bumbag, have the cord under my top and tucked in under the helmet strap, and even then, only use it in my left ear, so can still hear the traffic, at least if it does pop out will either be caught by the helmet strap or by my coller

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Full-size iPod? Personally wouldn't cycle with one (mainly the weight, causes a bit of sagging) but a Nano you can stick in a jersey pocket or even down your shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Man I think you're nuts listening to anything except traffic if you're driving in the city, but hey it's probably grand if you're off road.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭aodhu

There is a attachment you can get for the ipod so it goes on your arm.

personally I use the sony walkman.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Sony%20S2%20Sports%20Walkman%20NW-S203F%20MP3%20Player:1994341415

Advertisement