Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argon

Options
  • 19-09-2007 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where you can get Argon fills in Ireland? i know BOC do them but will they do a 1.5ltr bottle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Suggest you ask on:

http://www.tecdiver.ie

You will get the info there I reckon.

Seadeuce

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I have my doubts about Argon being any warmer than air in the suit.

BOC will not fill your 1.5;tr. You would need to get a tank of argon from them and decant into your tank. Not worth the hastle imo.

Just fill the tank with air and you won't go far wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Peace wrote:
    I have my doubts about Argon being any warmer than air in the suit.

Have you used Argon? Or could you expand why you believe Argon wouldn't be warmer.

Just wondering is all. I haven't but know a few people who do.

If Argon is denser than air then it makes sense that it should be warmer
    Just like if you put Helium in your suit it'll be colder as it's less dense.

flyz wrote:
    Have you used Argon? Or could you expand why you believe Argon wouldn't be warmer.

Its just based on feedback i have got from divers over the last while. Some guys used argon and then went back to using air due to both the costs of argon and they didn't feel all that much warmer.

How long are the divers you are planning on doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

The US navy I think did a study and they concluded there was little if any benefit of using argon. You have to flush the suit with argon a few times at the start of the dive as well to get any benefit there might be out of it.

If you're feeling cold on dives, look at better undergarments for a start. Never used argon myself but like Kev said.. the consensus seems to be that you're better off sticking with air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Peace wrote:
    Its just based on feedback i have got from divers over the last while. Some guys used argon and then went back to using air due to both the costs of argon and they didn't feel all that much warmer.

How long are the divers you are planning on doing?

I'm not planning on doing any dives with argon.

Your comment was very vague and was just wondering what your reasoning was :)

Personally I don't see any advantage of argon if I'm using air and have no intention of doing trimix dives anytime soon.

The only opinions I've heard are from people who use Argon when on Trimix dives as then they see a difference. They would never use Argon on an air dive.

This summer the longest dive i've done so far was about 2:15minutes give or take and about 1:30minutes of that would have been spent between 12 - 6m just hanging and not really exercising. I was a small bit chilly but not overly so and that was with air in the suit.

I use an Weezle Extreme+ under suit which is bulky but good once you take the squeeze off and allow it to expand.

It would probably be a better idea to invest in a good undersuit than paying for Argon fills. I hear good things about the Xerotherm Artic which i will be getting soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Read the following (if you have the time!):

http://www.decompression.org/maiken/Why_Argon.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/divers3/Argon.pdf

Having read the above you will find the hammer does not come down on the side of Argon.

Personal choice again.

Seadeuce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

The main reason I'd use a seperate tank for my suit is if I had a helium based mix in my main tank, which would be colder than air. Even then, I'd most likely use air in the suit tank for ease of filling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Peace wrote:
    Xerotherm Artic

Toasty!!

Advertisement