Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arvo Pärt

Options
  • 19-09-2007 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

http://www.epccireland.com/

Is anybody going to this? I have no idea what the music is like, but it sounds really interesting, just from reading the Irish Times article yesterday. I like the type of choral music sung in Orthodox services, but I'm not sure if it will be like this, or if it's just the same text. Anyway, think I'll give it a go.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Funnily enough the choir I'm in (RTE Philharmonic) is doing him at the moment too. We're doing his mass and credo.

It's a bit boring imo, but maybe it will grow on me. The text is interesting in that it is that used in the Orthodox tradition, but I prefer Tchaikovsky's music for it (which we're also doing).

Pärt uses a lot of moving between the tonic and the dominant in various rhythmic patterns. It's kind of like weird arpeggios.

I realise I'm explaining this very badly but it is good in the respect that for a modern piece at least it doesn't sound like 100 pianos being chucked downstairs (It had to be stolen, sorry!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

The Dublin concert is sold out!! I had a feeling this was going to happen. Waiting for a friend to get back to me to confirm she was coming. If it wasn't so far from the last pay day and I wasn't so broke I'd probably have just bought the tickets without being sure she was coming. There are still tickets for Drogheda on Monday though I'm not sure if I could make that. I have sung Pärt myself, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was, the name always just stuck out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Pianist2891

I am not a fan of any of Pärt's music, apart from one piece..

Spiegel Im Spiegel for Violin/Piano or Cello/Piano! The rest of his music bores me to tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Next year's RTE Living Music Fest features Pärt. I like Pärt. I've a recording from the Estonian Choral Something or other. It's good. Fratres (most of the time) is good, and when not good, interesting at least. Tabula Rasa's my favourite.

As for the original question: no.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

The RTE Philharmonic Choir is performing the Berliner Messe at the Living Music Festival.

It's also performing it at a mass on Sat 6th Oct (no cover charge!), in Bray I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

mambo wrote:
    The RTE Philharmonic Choir is performing the Berliner Messe at the Living Music Festival.

It's also performing it at a mass on Sat 6th Oct (no cover charge!), in Bray I think.

This Saturday 6th October at 6.15pm mass in the Church of the Holy Redeemer, Main St, Bray, to be precise!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

mambo wrote:
    This Saturday 6th October at 6.15pm mass in the Church of the Holy Redeemer, Main St, Bray, to be precise!
    Also some Tchaikovsky and Bruckner.

Advertisement