Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of shotgun ammo gone up?

Options
  • 19-09-2007 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

I just went to a local firearms dealer who normaly charges a reasonable price for clay ammo(7.5) It was only about 6 months ago he was charging €40 for a carton(250 rounds) now the price is €50. :mad: He tells me the price from his supplier just went up again this week.

I think I will have to save up and buy in bulk. Does anyone have any advice on where I could buy the ammo cheaper in bulk?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

The only problem would be the licence. How many rounds are you allowed?

Have you asked your dealer how much for a 1000 rounds? Personally 50 per 250 is not bad in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Was clay shooting a few weeks back too and the guy who
    was coaching/facilitating the evening had mentioned that
    his supplier for his normal brand had upped their price and he had
    to switch to another brand which was also going up.

I found my local dealer for rimfire rifle ammo has also gone from 16.50 a box
    of .17HMR to 19.50 which is crazy!

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

And I thought that a box of 50 .22 LR rounds for €7 was dear. Bullets you have my sympathy.

Must be the price of lead that is rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭The Villain

Bond,

You are spot on. It is indeed the price of lead that is going up, and so are the cartridges for this reason. I bought trade cartridges (Eley Olympic Trap) at the start of July, at the list price, and by end of July, they had increased but I still bought some, and by mid August, I had to change to Nike / Fiocchi because the Olympics had been increased again, the reason from the wholesaler is that the price of lead keeps increasing.

I heard on the grapevine that one of my customers said that I was increasing my prices too much. The fact is that if the dealer is buying them in at a more expensive price, then the end user is going to have to pay more accordingly. Hope this helps.

TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bmcm71

Apparently the Chinese are buying up all the metal they can get their hands on and prices have rocketed. That includes brass and lead and thats shoving up the price of our shells. Have a friend who sells ammo and he tells me the profit margin is tiny. You'd need to be buying 10's of thousands of rounds to save anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭The Villain

bmcm71 wrote:
    Apparently the Chinese are buying up all the metal they can get their hands on and prices have rocketed. That includes brass and lead and thats shoving up the price of our shells. Have a friend who sells ammo and he tells me the profit margin is tiny. You'd need to be buying 10's of thousands of rounds to save anything.
    I know what he feels like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

SMERSH wrote:
    The only problem would be the licence. How many rounds are you allowed?

Have you asked your dealer how much for a 1000 rounds? Personally 50 per 250 is not bad in all fairness.

Maybe this is something I shouldn't talk about but what my limit is on my licence has never concerned any daerler I have purchased from.
    I will probably buy 1000 next time. From what you guys say €50 seems like an ok deal, it's just a bit of a shock because I was used to paying €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

You arent going to save on bulk, I buy 1000 rounds at a time and its the same price. You need to buy a few thousand rounds at wholesale to save buts its not a practical solution. Shop around and watch for developments in alternative shot, steel etc.

Advertisement