Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many runners will the IPO get???

• 19-09-2007 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just want to get some opinions and its something for everyone to vote on :D .

I'm only doing this to give us an idea of exactly how many dealers/tables/chips we should be organising.

We have 258 registered right now with 11 days to go before registration closes. No real idea if we should expect 6/700 to register between now and 1st Oct or 2/300.

How Many More Players Will Register For the IPO? 51 votes

100 - 250 Players
    0%
    250 - 400 Players
    3%
    OilBeefHooked2joe o neill 2 votes
    400 - 550 Players
    23%
    super_furryionapaulNickyODocallaghrag2garMickLbopsGoodluck2mecorkie123BIG-SLICK-POKERAce2007Theresalwaysone 12 votes
    550 or More Players
    72%
    RasTadigimanLafortezzaspanmdwexfordLegend_DITBigDragonOllieboy5starpoolTrueDubconnie147The_ChoppernicnicnicDeadParrotPavementtipptop29Mr.PloughGoldcupfaveoghan104LuckyLloyd 37 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

You're def. going to have 259 anyway, just haven't gotten around to it/waiting for payday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

rb_ie wrote:
    You're def. going to have 259 anyway, just haven't gotten around to it/waiting for payday.

lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

550 or More Players
    If there is 700 will there be 100k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

550 or More Players
    500 handy.

700+ hopefully.

A better poll might be how many IPO threads will have been started by October 10th. Id defo go for 700+ then......;)

RasTa wrote:
    If there is 700 will there be 100k?

Thats the "Guarantee".....:)

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote:
    500 handy.

700+ hopefully.

:o

Are you talking totals here or how have you read the thread properly???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

550 or More Players
    lolz - Joe voted for < 250. lol!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

550 or More Players
    carfax wrote:
    :o

Are you talking totals here or how have you read the thread properly???

Oh yeah totals, i did read it properly but still posted wrong :o

Edit - No i didnt, thread title is how many runners will the IPO get, i voted in the poll right 400-550

mdwexford wrote:
    Oh yeah totals, i did read it properly but still posted wrong :o

Edit - No i didnt, thread title is how many runners will the IPO get, i voted in the poll right 400-550

I'm tired out just leave me alone :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I expect the numbers to go up and up, the student game easily doubled in the last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

400 - 550 Players
    i would expect about and extra double of numbers so 200+400 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I would expect 500 approx - the danger is some (braindead) people will still think they can register the week leading up to the IPO and not the deadline of the 30th. Expect calls that week with people trying to register.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

550 or More Players
    Warper wrote:
    I would expect 500 approx - the danger is some (braindead) people will still think they can register the week leading up to the IPO and not the deadline of the 30th. Expect calls that week with people trying to register.
    I agree that that is the biggest issue that Steve will come across in the last wwek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

550 or More Players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Blip

550 or More Players
    carfax wrote:
    How many runners will the IPO get???

Sound like a competition, so whats the prize free entry/reg back?

Anyway I'm in now so 260 deffo, My guess 466.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

Would get alot more if there wasn't a ridiculous way of registering.

What about the people who don't have credit cards ???

and people that are not boardsie's and don't see all these posts and think there will definitely be cash accepted on the day ???

just from wat I have been hearing from players I play with

550 or More Players
    The Al Lad wrote:
    Would get alot more if there wasn't a ridiculous way of registering.

What about the people who don't have credit cards ???

and people that are not boardsie's and don't see all these posts and think there will definitely be cash accepted on the day ???

just from wat I have been hearing from players I play with

sigh. Welcome to 2007. Buying things on the internet is standard. Try and understand the impossibillity of taking cash on the day from 500 - 1000 people - both from a logistical and security standpoint. The players you play with sound like reasonable and enlightened people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

250 - 400 Players
    LuckyLloyd wrote:
    sigh. Welcome to 2007. Buying things on the internet is standard. Try and understand the impossibillity of taking cash on the day from 500 - 1000 people - both from a logistical and security standpoint. The players you play with sound like reasonable and enlightened people.

double sigh

yeah it would be next to impossible I'd imagine to take ALL those registrations in just one day.
    God only knows how they manage it inother tournaments of a similiar or larger scale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

550 or More Players
    still think theyl get less than 250 players david k?

550 or More Players
    david-k wrote:
    double sigh

yeah it would be next to impossible I'd imagine to take ALL those registrations in just one day.
    God only knows how they manage it inother tournaments of a similiar or larger scale?
    I think it is very rude of Stephen to spring it on us at this late stage that he cannot accept cash payments on the day when all his fliers say he can.

Oh wait a minute, something isn't right about the above, but I can't just put my finger on it. If cash payments were accpeted on the day, you would have a total of about 80 players who would register online I would imagine, so how the hell do you know how many tables, dealers, seats, descks, chips, etc to have on hand?

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote:

Welcome to LuckyLlyod, witty sarcastic answers are standard,

Llyod listen buddy...there ARE people who don't have credit cards, if you say there's not your just foolish.

So how can they register for the tournament ???

As for the players I play with, some are people on here... and have posted their reluctance to register in the way required.

Read the previous posts,

oh and we'll see if the tournament gets the 1,000 runners as hoped.

david-k wrote:
    double sigh

Could you please mention a similar tourney that takes reg on the day.
    the irish ipen for example regs the day before. And events such as the EPT take about 10x the reg fee than the IPO, more disposable cash means they can pay for more staff to get through numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Hawk Eye

If your desperate enough to be part of the biggest tournament in Europe and lets face it, no self respecting poker player wouldn't want to be then anyone can easily get their hands on a credit card. It's been nearly 3 months since this was advertised so no excuses.

550 or More Players
    The Al Lad wrote:

Llyod listen buddy...there ARE people who don't have credit cards, if you say there's not your just foolish.

THE ****ING MONEYBOOKER CASH THINGY'S STE HAS BEEN BANGING ON ABOUT OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER.

Again: Never booked a flight online? Never bought a book, CD, or stitch of clothes online? Never booked a hotel room online? A train ticket? Never registered for an educational course, etc, online?

Mellor wrote:
    Could you please mention a similar tourney that takes reg on the day.
    the irish ipen for example regs the day before. And events such as the EPT take about 10x the reg fee than the IPO, more disposable cash means they can pay for more staff to get through numbers

yeah thats fair enough but the point i'm making is some people can't register for the I.P.O as they don't have credit cards in their own name, i.e lots of students, for example

do you agree that this is gonna affect the numbers for this tournament ???

The Al Lad wrote:

nobody suggested that everyone had a CC, just that buying things online was very common, CDs, Books and flights being the most common.

As for ways of registering for people withput credit cards,
    here is the list of ways for people to register that do not involve a credit card or a online money transfer account
    • Credit Card
    • Debit Card
    • Bank Transfer, to either Mermaid or Stephan
    • Cash payment to stephen or clamper who were at a number of tourneys around the country
    • Moneybookers
    • Neteller
    • Paysafe Card
    • Click to pay/Click and Buy
    • Cheque/Bank Draft, this option may not get through in time

There is no need to have a credit card or even a bank account for some of those options, anyone with €150 to spare can walk into most decent convience shops and buy paysafe cards and deposit. The internet is also easy to come by.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    THE ****ING MONEYBOOKER CASH THINGY'S STE HAS BEEN BANGING ON ABOUT OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER.

Again: Never booked a flight online? Never bought a book, CD, or stitch of clothes online? Never booked a hotel room online? A train ticket? Never registered for an educational course, etc, online?

Welcome to LuckyLlyod, witty sarcastic answers are standard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭C4Queen

Am still as amazed as i was the first week :D nooo sorry not true am MORE amazed that people still keep up these empty frazes . lool

Its 2007, dont everyone over 18 have an bankaccount?

How does compnaies pay their emploies in Irland or how does student get their money, am asking because i really would like to know, OBS am not being ironic.

There is no need for Credit cards.
    Bankaccount, Neteller, moneybooker, paysafecard....

Bankaccount or paysafecards is two excellent choises........Stephen by the way went trough hell and back to be able to provide you with paysafecards.....

hep Hep Clap Clap

whos round is first?

;)

anna panna

ohh Mellor dear darling!

You said it all.

I buy you beer, how many you want!!!

anna

• Advertisement

550 or More Players
    david-k wrote:
    double sigh

TRIPLE SIGH.

Other tournaments of a similair or larger scale are open to online registrations months in advance. They never take cash payments on the starting day. The difference is that well established events like the WPT, IO, EPT, WSOP (these are the scale of events you are talking about) are big enough and so well established that they can be on site a week in advance and take cash registrations while side events are running in the background for a couple of days beforehand.

But bear in mind that they will always be certain of selling out or getting close to max capacity. Ste cannot afford to use that system because:

A) The Reg fee doesn't justify him running a reg desk for a number of weekdays before the event;

B) He has no gaurantee of the type of numbers that will turn up to play - so he needs to draw a line in the sand and know exactly how many tables, chairs, chips, cards and dealers he needs to have set up by 12 noon on October 6th.

And no, it doesn't now look like we will get 1000. Happy? Think like your point is proven? **** you. All the arguments expounded by your side of this debate stem from laziness - nothing else. And if you weren't willing to put the effort into registering and can't see how great this tournament is going to be - it is YOU who is loing out.

Mellor wrote:
    Also, Strictly speaking im a student (or unemployed) until monday.
    I dont have a credit card in my name.
    i deposited using my mothers credit card, it was my birthday present.
    THE CREDIT CARD DOESN'T HAVE TO BE IN YOUR OWN NAME

stop stop stop!!

IT has to be in your name unless you want your account blocked and explain and send id and stuff so dont even go trought that if you are late in time.

anna

Mellor wrote:
    nobody suggested that everyone had a CC, just that buying things online was very common, CDs, Books and flights being the most common.

As for ways of registering for people withput credit cards,
    here is the list of ways for people to register that do not involve a credit card or a online money transfer account
    • Credit Card
    • Debit Card
    • Bank Transfer, to either Mermaid or Stephan
    • Cash payment to stephen or clamper who were at a number of tourneys around the country
    • Moneybookers
    • Neteller
    • Paysafe Card
    • Click to pay/Click and Buy
    • Cheque/Bank Draft, this option may not get through in time

There is no need to have a credit card or even a bank account for some of those options, anyone with €150 to spare can walk into most decent convience shops and buy paysafe cards and deposit. The internet is also easy to come by.

Thats a good informative reply, thank you.

LuckyLlyod should take note instead of losing the marbles.:p

550 or More Players
    The Al Lad wrote:
    Welcome to LuckyLlyod, witty sarcastic answers are standard
    At least he reads the bloody thread before complaining about things. As Mellor has pointed out (several times in this thread in fact), there are plenty of alternatives to using a credit card, and these have been outlined over the last couple of months.

C4Queen wrote:
    ohh Mellor dear darling!

You said it all.

I buy you beer, how many you want!!!

anna
    Theres only so much help you can throw at people,
    and i'll have a Heineken :D:D

Is the fact that monies can't be paid on the day gonna affect the numbers ???

Yes / No

• Advertisement

550 or More Players
    The Al Lad wrote:
    Is the fact that monies can't be paid on the day gonna affect the numbers ???

Yes / No
    Obviously it will. So what? I'm sure the fact that the EPT won't take cash on the day loses them a few players aswell. But they still do it that way.

Would allowing onday registrations up until 10 minutes before the event starts make it practically impossible to guage the numbers of tables, dealers etc. required; and create a significant delay and possible discomfort for the players?

Yes / No

5starpool wrote:
    At least he reads the bloody thread before complaining about things. As Mellor has pointed out (several times in this thread in fact), there are plenty of alternatives to using a credit card, and these have been outlined over the last couple of months.

:D:D:D

Heineken??

anna

C4Queen wrote:
    stop stop stop!!

IT has to be in your name unless you want your account blocked and explain and send id and stuff so dont even go trought that if you are late in time.

anna

Well done Mellor,

Sure the credit card doesn't have to be in your own name ???

Thanks Anna, I knew I READ that somewhere. 5Starpool :p

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Obviously it will. So what? I'm sure the fact that the EPT won't take cash on the day loses them a few players aswell. But they still do it that way.

Would allowing onday registrations up until 10 minutes before the event starts make it practically impossible to guage the numbers of tables, dealers etc. required; and create a significant delay and possible discomfort for the players?

Yes / No

it just came to me ... YOU SHOULD HAVE ORGANISED THIS EVENT :rolleyes:

550 or More Players
    The Al Lad wrote:
    it just came to me ... YOU SHOULD HAVE ORGANISED THIS EVENT :rolleyes:
    Welcome to The lA Lad, witty sarcastic answers are standard

See, I can spell your name wrong too. And see also, your argument kind of runs out of steam after a certain point, doesn't it?

• Advertisement

LuckyLoyd

I think i owe you a beer too!

How will there be time for poker mheeeeee?? :confused:

550 or More Players
    C4Queen wrote:
    LuckyLoyd

I think i owe you a beer too!

How will there be time for poker mheeeeee?? :confused:
    Heineken is for little girls. Guinness please.

yeaaaaaaa thats the world of a real man!

Guiness it will be!

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Welcome to The lA Lad, witty sarcastic answers are standard

See, I can spell your name wrong too. And see also, your argument kind of runs out of steam after a certain point, doesn't it?

Not really, just saying you know so much about everything, it would be great if you could have organised this event...thats if the circus has finished with you first:D

550 or More Players
    The Al Lad wrote:
    Not really, just saying you know so much about everything, it would be great if you could have organised this event...thats if the circus has finished with you first:D
    Ohh Ohh, Uhh Uhh, Ahh Ahh. Tbh, my circus days are mostly numbered as my ringmaster tells me that I am looking too much like an Ape or Gorilla these days to cut it as a circus monkey anymore. And the trapezes won't hold my weight - so professional acrobat is not an option. :(

I play at live tournaments of various shapes, sizes and buy - ins. I read a little. I apply the odd bit of common sense every now and again. As such, it seems perfectly logical to me why Ste has set up the Reg the way he has. And I find the counter arguments (but I don't have a credit card, waaaaaaaah; I wouldn't trust those fellas with my money; I wouldn't want to have to commit to a date ya know; I'm too lazy to be bothered with that ****e) to be irrelevant and illogical.

Meh, this will be a great tournament. Those who don't play are missing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

550 or More Players
    creeping up now. just over 2 weeks to go. starting to really look forward to playing an event of this structure. 12pm to 01.30 the first day.

drool

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Ohh Ohh, Uhh Uhh, Ahh Ahh. Tbh, my circus days are mostly numbered as my ringmaster tells me that I am looking too much like an Ape or Gorilla these days to cut it as a circus monkey anymore. And the trapezes won't hold my weight - so professional acrobat is not an option. :(

I play at live tournaments of various shapes, sizes and buy - ins. I read a little. I apply the odd bit of common sense every now and again. As such, it seems perfectly logical to me why Ste has set up the Reg the way he has. And I find the counter arguments (but I don't have a credit card, waaaaaaaah; I wouldn't trust those fellas with my money; I wouldn't want to have to commit to a date ya know; I'm too lazy to be bothered with that ****e) to be irrelevant and illogical.

Agree

LuckyLloyd wrote:

Don't tell me this thread has turned into another whinge fest.

Cheers for the support Lloyd.....I might read over the first two pages of the thread later but I probably won't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

550 or More Players
    Ste. Regarding going around and recruiting new players.
    It might be an idea to bring a laptop with a 3g modem (3, Vodafone etc)to these games and reg the lads there?
    Probably not the best idea but just trying to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Blip

550 or More Players
    Mr.Plough wrote:
    creeping up now. just over 2 weeks to go. starting to really look forward to playing an event of this structure. 12pm to 01.30 the first day.

drool

Yes indeed, 10 more reg'ed since i did at 11:30am today, this is going to be GREAT!

• Advertisement
Advertisement