Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can connect to Live but can't update. Tried wired and wireless.

• 19-09-2007 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Once i connect to my wireless network I'm informed the console needs an update. I click ok and watch as the progress bar just sits at zero then seems to time out with a generic error message.

I ran Xbox live connection test and it passes fine.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

Go into ur router settings and turn ur firewall settings to low.Thats wat worked for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

yep, tried that. Tried turning the firewall off altogether too, no dice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Try burning the update to CD and running it from that:

Update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

have you opened the ports on your router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What country is your xbox set to?

• Advertisement

neacy69 wrote:

ah, these are good suggestions. I was messing with the ports on the router recently but thought i had left everything as i found it.

Also the console was plugged out for a while and it lost its date and time settings so maybe the country setting went too...

I'll check both when i get home later. I'll also try connecting it directly to the modem to see if the router is the problem.

ok so i downloaded the backward compatible update below and no joy.

I skipped the router and went straight through the modem and no luck.

I tried connecting through the neighbours wireless connection: nada.

My country is set to Ireland and i have loads of HDD space left.

out of ideas now and i really want to start playing Halo online!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭matchthis

quarryman wrote:
    Once i connect to my wireless network I'm informed the console needs an update. I click ok and watch as the progress bar just sits at zero then seems to time out with a generic error message.

I ran Xbox live connection test and it passes fine.

Any ideas?

Have a friend who is having the exact same problem. We gave the xbox live centre a call that is near grafton street, Dublin. They were saying that he needs to contact his provider(eircom) and gets the ports opened from them. It's in his mam's name and she ain't gonna let that happen too soon :D Still exact same problem that you are having :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

I'm having the same problem. Haven't used my xbox in a few weeks & went to play Need for Speed. I get an error at the Xbox Live Test & I'm using a wired connection. I'd say its just a case the network is overloaded today with all the Halo 3 players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Debaserirl

you have to do it yourself go to www.portforward.com it tells u how to do it there.......

• Advertisement

problem solved. I had gone into my wireless router settings and turned off the firewall but hadn't done it on the Netopia modem.

Strange that the modem suddenly set its firewall to medium. Maybe Xbox live was sending the updates in a different way that the firewall decided to block.

What was throwing me (and convincing me it was a console problem) was that i was getting the same error with the nieghbours wireless but i guess they must be Eircom too!

Halo deathmatch here i come!

quarryman wrote:
    problem solved. I had gone into my wireless router settings and turned off the firewall but hadn't done it on the Netopia modem.

Strange that the modem suddenly set its firewall to medium. Maybe Xbox live was sending the updates in a different way that the firewall decided to block.

What was throwing me (and convincing me it was a console problem) was that i was getting the same error with the nieghbours wireless but i guess they must be Eircom too!

Halo deathmatch here i come!

By any chance are you with eircom? Friend has netopia router too...

yep. see above. Firewall setting on allow will fix it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,699 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had the same issue, just solved it by setting firewall to low - eircom obviously knocked up everyones router security for some reason.

Had the same issue, just solved it by setting firewall to low - eircom obviously knocked up everyones router security for some reason.

Sorry, playin Halo and keepin an eye on this :D

Advertisement