Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting Classes

Options
  • 19-09-2007 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there are shooting (targets) classes in the Dublin area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MortgageMan

Hi Sarah

Try to contact some of the clubs in South Dublin, North Wicklow area. Members there will more than happy to help you out especially if you bring the champagne and strawberries. :D

Some of the members may even be good shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Some of the members may even be good shots.

Yeah right:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

well it depends, just how sassy are you? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Sarah,

Just ignore the childish replies and you'll be ok. If you need any info on target shooting in Dublin, ask Sparks or Kealan Symes, either would be able to help you.

Rgds
    LB6 (Welcome to the female club!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

LB6 wrote:
    If you need any info on target shooting in Dublin, ask Sparks or Kealan Symes, either would be able to help you.

Thanks for the plug LB6, How's the training going? Hope that piece of glass is in pride of place in your cabinet!

Sarah. If you would give me an idea of what you are looking for, either myself or Sparks should be able to point you in the right direction.

As in: Air Rifle, .22 Target Rifle, Air Pistol or .22 Target Pistol.

Any or all of the above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Your welcome hon!

Did more work on Sunday pm back at BRC - even in wind was doing 10.8's - now why didnt that happen for me on Sunday morning? lol

Yep - Glass has pride of place on mantel piece amongst the medals! Gonna have to get a special cabinet made up ! :-)

LB6 (BTW - can you send me on the UTD calendar for NTSA please?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

I suppose you start off with the air pistols?

SarahSassy wrote:

You start wherever you want Sarah. If you want to do .22 Target Pistol, you start there. By all means you can also do Air, but there's no hard and fast rule on where you start.

Just bear in mind that target equipment is expensive, so try everything before you decide what you want to do, and definitely before you buy anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭BOBTHESHOOTER

SarahSassy wrote:

Hilltop Sports do a basic pistol course every month, would suit a complete beginer and anyone wishing to get to know more about pistols.

Participants get to know all about pistols from .22 to 9mm, get practical hands on .22, .38 and 9mm.

The course is also certified to an international standard

Contact Pat Cook of Hilltop Sports Club for further details

Hilltop Sports do a basic pistol course every month, would suit a complete beginer and anyone wishing to get to know more about pistols.

I'm sort of contradicting myself now, but cartridge pistol shooting is not necessarily the starting point and the main reason is that suddenly you are confronted with noise, recoil and a feeling of lack of control. I've seen experienced Air Pistol shooters being surprised at the recoil from a .22 target pistol and these guys had shot target rifle as well.

The problem is that you quickly develop a flinch and trigger control goes out the window never to return.

If you've never shot before, I'd reccommend rifle shooting first and depending on your own preferences, that could be .22 or air. Again, I've met air rifle shooters whose first shot with a .22 has been a revelation in that they have expected recoil and found very little, so it's up to you.

There are plenty of clubs around that will give you lessons. In fact every one of them will. From a Dublin point of view there is BRC Sporting club based in Bohernabreena, The two University clubs in UCD and Trinity (you have to be a student or alumni) and Fingal in Balbriggan.

Outside (but close to Dublin) you have the commercial clubs: Hilltop in Newtownmountkennedy and Courtlough in Balbriggan and then you have the normal clubs such as Wilkinstown in Meath, East Coast in Roundwood, Rathdrum in Rathdrum (surprise) and Dublin Rifle Club in Kilbride. You also have Dublin Target Sports Club in Brittas, but I've no information on that one.

Here's a few websites to visit:

Wilkinstown: www.targetshootingexcellence.org
    East Coast: www.eastcoastshootingclub.com
    Rathdrum: www.rathdrumrpc.org
    Hilltop: www.pcquad.com
    National Target Shooting Association: www.targetshootingireland.org

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement