Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i prevent our cat from going missing again?

Options
  • 19-09-2007 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

About a week and a half ago our little cat (3 months old, 4 max) went missing while me and my gf where on holidays. We live in shared accomodation and there where 3 other house mates here to take care of him for the time.

Tonight (after putting up posters) we got a call that he was 10 house down from where we live for the past while.

He's been out trough the front before but came back and started miowing (sp?) at the door to get in.

Since we have him back again is there anyway to prevent him from running of again? I don't even know if it's common for a 3 month old cat to run of and not come back?

For the moment we are going to keep him in the house, is thiis wise?

He's always played/spent hrs in the back garden which has high walls around it (which by now he can climb) and either come in trough the door or a open window. We aren't sure if this is where he started his travels or if he slipped out trough the front.

Anything advice appreciated.
    Jozi

EDIT: assuming he goes off again, he he most likely to head back to the house that he has been for the past week or more?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

First of all get him neutered as soon as the vet says it is OK, males are prone to wandering and many will wander and never come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Get him neutered.Cats will head off,but will almost always come back to base.

I would say that the average territory would be up to twenty/thirty houses away. Not a lot you can do besides making him a "house" cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

If you affix a light bit of fencing or netting on top of your back wall in an inward facing angle the cat won't be able to get over and out.

Zoo plus sell netting I noticed:
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_flaps_nets/cat_nets/29941

And here is some info on the fence:
    http://www.feralcat.com/fence.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Try to keep him indoors for a few weeks... just to get in his mind that you're his home. If the other house was feeding and minding him he might run off their again. The netting is a good suggestion. Also, you could try to put him on a cat harness, but only when supervised outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Might be an idea to get your cat microchipped as well if you haven't already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I would def keep him in until he is neutered. He also needs time to settle into his new home. It can take a while to get into the swing of making sure he's not around the doors when you are going out but at least he will be safe if he's inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Netting or fencing on top of the walls isn't really possible, don't think the land lord would like it.

We had him about 2 months of which he spent prob half just inside before we let him in the back garden. He got out a few times trough the front door, came back meowing in front of the door to be let in.

TBH i think that the poeple who found him playing on the street taught he was homeless because we didn't have a collar for him them and that they just kept him inside not giving him a chance to return.

I don't know what causes them to run away but he has 6 people here who give him attention, he always has food and water (some times of someones plate, not mine btw) and he seems to be quite happy playing around in the back yard for hrs on end.

What micro chipping? Tracking device similar to what you can get for cars? How do they work if he goes missing, do you pay to track him or how does it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The chip will have your details on it so if the cat goes missing and someone picks him up, brings him to a vet or shelter then they can scan it and find where you live so to contact you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

We now have our cats years and they are allowed to wander freely. One of them can be missing for days but the other one stays around all the time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

jozi wrote:
    For the moment we are going to keep him in the house, is thiis wise?
    QUOTE]
    Cats are pretty savvy and know where their base is ...but if theyre gettin attention elsewhere they dont generally think of "home" till theyre bored and decide to wander back as cool as anythin after havin a fab few days in a different house(think drunk teenager at 4am havin a great time,forgettin to ring home and panicked parents worried where the hell they are :p ). A collar with a tag is a must and microchipping..a nifty little device if the collar falls off is great! The only thing with chipping is..it wont be tracked unless its brought to a vet with a scanner! If hes 3 months old..hes headin into cat teenage territory (sorry to be be explaining it in human terms) so 5/6mths old unless unneutered will wander for even longer in search of a mate! The thing about cats...more so than dogs is ..if they wander for more than 2/3 days then id start worryin (dogs are silly..loyal and lovely.. but silly..they dont generally stray for as long or as far cos theyre pack animals and prefer the comfort of what they know )!Netting wont help..if he wants to get out .he will!The big one is... Get him neutered..you'll have far less worryin days..let him outside and dont panic unless a few days have passed! A collar will let people know hes owned by someone so will stop them bringing him to a rescue shelter etc;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement