Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacsination and jabs for a cat

Options
  • 19-09-2007 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

What injections do young cats need (3-4months), which ones are vital they get? De-wormer? How much are these things likely to cost?

We got him from a cat shelter (kitty cottage if anyone knows it) from what i remember he was de-liced and he might have has his injection for worms.

Jozi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Bring him to a vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I'd say we are talking 40-50 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Yeah €40 in my local vets for both sets of injections together.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

What?!!!! 40 euros!

My vet charged me 90 for the 2 vaccs!!! And I have 2 kittens so it cost me 180 in total. I nearly fainted when I got the bill!

That was for the cat flu vacc and the leukemia vacc - the initial shot + booster. What did your 40 euro cover.

I am going back to complain if I have been ripped off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

My two are going in today for their annual vac - 3 in one - & general check-up. Will report back later :)
    60 Euro for the Nobivac Tricat shot for both of them and plus check-up (both a 100%, vet was very happy with them) :)))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I paid a total of €100 for microchipping and both inital vaccinations, and then two weeks later for the booster vaccinations alone were around €65. Worm Tablets aren't too expensive, €3 each at the most

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭greine

I work in vet clinic, we charge €40 for each shot - Nobivac Tricat does not cover feline leukemia. If the client wants to be covered for leukemia we do the whole programme, 2 visits plus 2 x Tricat + Leukemia for €110. If someone has a few cats to do we might give a discount. Maybe ring around first if you have the luxury of choice of vets in your area and get quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Never heard of that rescue... I could only find info on one with that name in the states.
    Any kitten that comes from a rescue should at the very least have thier first vax, wormed and flead. The flea drops cost about 7, the worm tab about 3 and the vax prob about 70- 80 for the two.
    Did they not give you any health records or vet certs with the kitten?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Kitty cottage, it's somewhere around cavan. I think what it really is is just a lady who started caring for some found cats and that it grew out of hand with her now caring for a couple dozen.

She mentioned something about the cat getting ..... done. Possibly worms and flees. I don't notice him scratching much at all, no idea how to diagnose for worms. I'm going to give her a call tomorrow what i get a number.

Is the Nobivac Tricat shot enough to keep him out of danger of getting anything?

Any recommended clinics in the phibsboro area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Have a look here http://www.kittenadoption.org/care.htm It should answer any questions you have.

Hopefully you'll be able to get more details from the woman you got him off, you'll need that information for you first vet visit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭yawn

i live in tallaght

local vet charged €45 for a 5 in 1 only about a month ago for 1 of my cats

booster costs €30 for the the other cat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

The best vac out at the moment is nobivac forcat covers them for feline herpesvirus, feline calicivirus, Chlamydophila felis and feline panleucopenia. Tricat is the older version and doesnt cover them for chlamydophila felis (feline clamydia) the should get a vac at 9weeks old and then 12 weeks old. Also you should look into getting them cover with feline leukemia vac, this is probably extra. As for worming and flea treatment, you generally dont get an injection for this, but can but frontline combi - which is applied to the back of the neck between shoulders, for fleas ticks and lice and milbemax wormer - just an oral medication, which covers them for the 4 types of internal worms round, tape,hook and heart worm.

The charges for these can vary from place to place but generally the pruce shoudl include a full health check. But if money is an issue the blue cross vaccinate pets and it is for people who have money issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

yawn wrote:
    i live in tallaght

local vet charged €45 for a 5 in 1 only about a month ago for 1 of my cats

booster costs €30 for the the other cat

Theres no such thing as a 5-in-1 vaccine for cats ??

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

jozi wrote:

She mentioned something about the cat getting ..... done. Possibly worms and flees. I don't notice him scratching much at all, no idea how to diagnose for worms. I'm going to give her a call tomorrow what i get a number.
    Is the Nobivac Tricat shot enough to keep him out of danger of getting anything?
    Any recommended clinics in the phibsboro area?

If you got the kitten from a rescue the likelihood it has fleas is very high. You may not see them until its too late and your cat will be driven demented with them. All kittens have a high worm burden and need to be wormed monthly for the 1st 6 months and then every 3 months, depending on what wormer you are using. The signs of a high worm burden are a ravenous appetite, swollen stomach (sometimes), sometimes you may even see some worms in the animals faeces.

You really should consider the leukaemia vaccine. The virus is rampant in stray cats and you should have her tested before vaccinated, its a crippling immune disease and if you can afford to have her vaccinated against it, its well worth it. I personally had a cat with it and its not a nice way to see you beloved pet, even if it is a bit pricy.

The veterinary surgery on the old cabra road is very good, cosgrave is the name of the vet, I think its part of the ActiveVet care group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭yawn

well then i'm seriously worried cos the gf returned home from the vet with her and said she got a 5 in 1 for the cat for 40 euro

Advertisement