Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody else sick of getting fake charity bags in their letterbox?

Options
  • 19-09-2007 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

You will like this one....

I don't know about anywhere else in Meath, but i live in Navan and over the past six months i have received approx 15 "charity" bin bags in my post box and actually, now they are getting lazy and throwing them from car/van inside the front gate onto the driveway.

They are normally yellow or green in colour and are wrapped with a rubber band with an accompanying note stating something along the lines of they are collecting for oxfam or overseas clothing drives etc.

I got so pissed off about receiving these charity bags that i rang Navan Gardai to see was it legit. The guard that answered my call was sound and said there was nothing they could do about this as the people behind it were not breaking any laws. He also said that they have received many calls in relation to this and that the people behind it are more then likely from the north and they get between £5 and £10 stg for each bag that they hand over to charities for sale in their shops!

What prompted me to post this is that this morning when i was driving out my driveway a brand new northern reg transit (pimped out like it was on MTVs "pimp my ride" with chrome and everything) shot past the house and a girl of about 17 or 18 sitting in the passenger seat (wearing large hoop earrings and tanned to the same shade as my shed) lobbed a wrapped up yellow charity bag at the foot of the driveway. She got a shock as she did it due to the fact that my gate is obscured from the road and she didn't see me until she had the wrapped up charity bag lobbed out the window of the van which bounced off the bonnet of my car. All this was at 5.30am! And what was printed on the side of the van? "North East Guttering and Soffit"!

Make up your own minds on this, but think about where you send unwanted clothing. There are plenty of local charity shops in Navan and around Meath and it only takes a minute to drop a bag of unwanted clothing into them if you have any.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

They make good bin liners. Fill them with junk and have it taken away for free sounds like a good service to me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

We don't get the bags that much anymore but we get about two leaflets a day. I suppose they're cheaper than the bags.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

May I suggest you get your own back by using the bag for rubbish so its a dead loss for them to give you one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 montyballs

i also live in navan and every morning i get 2-3 of these bags/stickers and its starting to really piss me off but i have being geting them for about 2 maybe 3 years now, some days i can get up to 5 of these,any way its all a sham they are brought up the north and sold for 120-150 a ton (pounds).so if you want to help,theres many on our own door step (s.v.p. ect).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

SDooM wrote:
    May I suggest you get your own back by using the bag for rubbish so its a dead loss for them to give you one?

I do, they seem to fit perfectly in my swinglid bin! :D and i just dispose of them in my regular wheelie bin once full of household rubbish.

But ive also seen people leave these bags out for collection with rubbish in them and the muppets just rip the bag open all over the persons front gate when they discover what they have been left! Muppets!

And anyways, what a missing bag to them... pennies!

• Advertisement

montyballs wrote:
    i also live in navan and every morning i get 2-3 of these bags/stickers and its starting to really piss me off but i have being geting them for about 2 maybe 3 years now, some days i can get up to 5 of these,any way its all a sham they are brought up the north and sold for 120-150 a ton (pounds).so if you want to help,theres many on our own door step (s.v.p. ect).

True... there are a good few charity shops in Navan.

I take it you know how i feel! im sick of these fecking things!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Access wrote:
    I do, they seem to fit perfectly in my swinglid bin! :D and i just dispose of them in my regular wheelie bin once full of household rubbish.

But ive also seen people leave these bags out for collection with rubbish in them and the muppets just rip the bag open all over the persons front gate when they discover what they have been left! Muppets!

And anyways, what a missing bag to them... pennies!

most of them have a number of small holes in them.
    They don't make for much use as bin liners.

The-Rigger wrote:
    most of them have a number of small holes in them.
    They don't make for much use as bin liners.

I disagree, they seem to hold a good few full baby nappies!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 montyballs

holes or not they do make good swingbin bags:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Ya i've noticed them being thrown in the driveway the cheeky fockers.Like all the rest of you I use them for rubbish or emptying grass cutings after cutting the grass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

same thing happened in dundalk when i lived there, there was a northern van that went around posting them through letterboxs and a foreign reg audi a4 as well, we just used the bags for rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭gipi

They're a regular feature in Drogheda as well - leaflets with or without bags and a mobile contact number.

What annoys me at this time of the year is when they drop the bags off during the night, shove it half-way in the letterbox (thereby leaving the letterbox open) so all my heat escapes and I'm met with a gale in the hall! Grrrrrr!!!

Funny story - A few weeks ago I noticed that my Allied Waste binbag had been collected earlier than usual (7am!)....I then remembered that the day before, I'd been gifted a "charity bag" which was the same colour as my binbag.....wonder what they did with the catfood leftovers, empty cartons......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

I was in Romania last summer on intergovernmental biz, at the time the customs there had seized a 40 ft container of clothes, all second hand. The destination was a private religous focused Northern Irish controlled orphanage. When the customs raided the orphanage they discovered a mini factory for washing and pressing clothes, all for resale in second hand shops. I was asked to represent the so-called Irish charity. They told me they collect the clothes through the plastic bags. It's a grey legal area becaise there is no customs/excise tax on humanitarian aid, but if they can prove resale is taking place the tax applies. The 'charity' refused to pay the tax.
    This Northern Irish charity lost the entire load. The customs decided to donate it to state orphanages. I was asked to witness the delivery as an observer. I also visted the private orphanage which was better than the hotel I was given, whuch was the best in the city as it happens. I cannot say where every organisation sends the contents of these bags but by all accounts this one was and is one of the biggest distribution routes. The 'new value of clothes confascated was €500,000, the second hand clothes shop value was estimated at €50,000 euro and the cost of shipping was €4,000. Nice business if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Get loads every week. Although its mostly stickers now and no bags. To be honest, it may not be legit but to get rid of clothes I do not want its either leave them out or physically take them to a clothing bank or charity shop (which is never open when i want).
    I do take pleasure in including old torn socks and underwear etc.

I would actually appreciate it more if they were honest and said they were for the markets. Instead of falsely saying they are for charity.
    I have 4 different ones in my hallway.
    One of them is http://www.viltis.eu/ which "looks" Legit... enough so they have a website anyway

If you want revenge then the dodgy ones that have mobile phone numbers..,. you could eh... sign them up for free ipods online and stuff like that to help with the cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Irishbee

I'm not sure..we're all entitled to our own opinions...but I take in each and every bag / sticker..whatever and start up a bag (we have kids...and of course they grow QUICKLY)...and I often take in clothes for a friend of mine in Slane...so the bags get good use and I'm able to donate often. Better than those ppl that commit the huge sin of throwing clothes and shoes away - too lazy to drop them off at any Charity places. Just also hate it when the peeps climb over your wall..walk through your garden....but...what can we say? Huge hoop earrings..laugh..someone up there wrote about this...I wear those...makes me want to think twice now!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

I've been getting loads lately with a picture of some little blonde kid on the sticker. I think he's meant to be the face of those you are helping, but he looks like a spoilt little fecker with a big bold petulant head on him. The whole thing is laughable though, as the grammar is really all over the place with lots of mistakes.
    And the really funny part is where they for no apparent reason, have a line that says "we are not racist against any people or countries, regardless of color". Why in the name of Kang would you put something like that on it?

"oh, its not the Ku Kux Klan, well okay then, have my old shirts good sirs".

Like above, I woke up one morning at about 3am, and there was a big blingmobile van outside with all these big hairy dudes running around delivering them. Something seems iffy about that to say the least, particularly as the van had orange construction lights on the roof. Mild mannered construction worker by day, super hero charity clothes collector by night. Its ragman!!

I just give old clothes to St VdeP instead, at least you KNOW they're going where they should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

I used to line the outside and the top of the bag with clothes while the inner part had nappies, dinner left overs and the contents of my cats litter tray. The id spray the whole thing with strong fabreeze to kill the smell, I also tore up the flyer they put in the door right in fornt of there face (in the presence of my Garda buddy).

I used to line the outside and the top of the bag with clothes while the inner part had nappies, dinner left overs and the contents of my cats litter tray. The id spray the whole thing with strong fabreeze to kill the smell, I also tore up the flyer they put in the door right in fornt of there face (in the presence of my Garda buddy).

Ha ha! Brilliant! - i must try that out! :D

Feckers were out this morning again around my area... Northern reg red BMW with huge alloys, 2 guys, one driving and another guy (about 17yrs) wearing a day-glow vest, leaping in and out of the car putting charity bags in the post boxes.

And all at 8am this morning!

I somehow don't think they are doing this all from the goodness of their hearts!... they probably need money for bigger alloys for the beamer!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Just last week I was at the front door about to lob in a black bag full of rubbish into the bin and an eastern european guy pulls up in a transit and comes over to me while talking on a mobile and tries to grab the bag from me. He prolly assumed it was for him, so I wasnt gonna argue with him. bad timing for him! :D Saved me a walk down to the bin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

sirpsycho wrote: »
    Just last week I was at the front door about to lob in a black bag full of rubbish into the bin and an eastern european guy pulls up in a transit and comes over to me while talking on a mobile and tries to grab the bag from me. He prolly assumed it was for him, so I wasnt gonna argue with him. bad timing for him! :D Saved me a walk down to the bin!

Thats well deserved for him, but its also an unsettling way for someone to act, by trying to grab something off you without permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I hate these f*cks...get at least 4 bags/stickers a week.

OP; as much a nice bit of luck as that was, you can rest assured that the minute they found out it was refuse it got chucked by the nearest roadside...once you had nothing in it that leads back to your address you're fine...be terrible to end up with an illegal dumping charge 'cos of these c*nts...

Feck sake... got another one this morning! Two red bags with the same old notice attached with rubber bands.

The two bags will come in handy for the kitchen swing bin! :)

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGG! :mad:

Another one this morning.... same note and pink bag

Dropped off by some lad in a day-glow vest in a 04 KE Landcruiser with orange flashing lights on the roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I think i have 5 of them or so in the last couple of weeks. We do not get bags any more unfortunatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Use them for bagging grass, or household rubbish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I tried the sticker on the letterbox approach, "No junk mail, plastic bags or stickers"
    Whats the point, none of them speak english, still getting sh!te through the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Totally agree with u! Morning noon and night getting everday,Sometimes when i get home from work there is about 4 on the hall floor and stuck in my letter box. Isnt there anything that can be done.Have u noticed aswell cause people are using them for bin liners they are throwing in those fricking stickers now:rolleyes:
    I had someone throw a catalogue in my door for cleaning products and when she knocked back to get the dirty looks i got cause i hadnt got it anymore.Like i have nothing better to do then keep tabs on stuff i dont want in my letter box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

I tried the sticker on the letterbox approach, "No junk mail, plastic bags or stickers"
    Whats the point, none of them speak english, still getting sh!te through the door

Hahahaha u didnt :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

I'm sick of them too. A few months ago i was at a market that takes place at a race course, I witnessed two fellas taking these kind of bags out of a hiace van and just emptying them on the ground to sell as second-hand clothes. I kid you not, i couldn't believe it.

Advertisement