Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mourinho possibly gone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

If this is true, what a ridiculous time of the season to change manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Jose Mourinho's turbulent reign at Chelsea is expected to end today after he sent text messages to five senior players last night telling them he was leaving.

Mourinho caught Chelsea's hierarchy by surprise after the premiere of the club's documentary Blue Revolution by demanding talks at Stamford Bridge over his future.

Those talks went on late into last night, but his players are under the impression that the 1-1 draw against Rosenborg on Tuesday night was his last match in charge.

Mourinho, who has been at loggerheads with the Chelsea board for the past 12 months, sent text messages to five players at 6pm.

By midnight, the entire first-team squad were aware that Mourinho, who led the club to two Premiership titles after joining the club in June 2004, will be forced out by their billionaire owner Roman Abramovich.

The Chelsea manager told his players that he will report to the training ground as usual today, but it will be only to say goodbye after just over three years at the club.

Incredibly, Juande Ramos, who was in charge of Sevilla during their 3-0 defeat against Arsenal in the Champions League last night, is being linked with the job.

Ramos turned down Tottenham last month when it emerged that he was waiting for a bigger offer, but he is one of many names on Chelsea's radar after leading Sevilla to two successive UEFA Cup triumphs.

Mourinho still has three years left on a contract worth a staggering £6.5million a year, but Abramovich is prepared to pay up a huge proportion of that.

At the time he signed the deal, Mourinho said: "My heart is with Chelsea and the fantastic group of players that I have but the vision of the owner and the board for the future of Chelsea is also one I want to be a part of it. I cannot imagine another situation or another club where I could be happier. I am totally behind this project."

Chelsea's board have become increasingly restless following the club's disjointed start to the season, which has left the club fifth in the Premier League, two points behind leaders Arsenal after six games, and it manifested itself after the 1-1 draw against Norwegian minnows Rosenborg in their first Champions League group game on Tuesday.

Mourinho complained, as he has complained every week since the start of the season, about injuries to key players, and that has not sat easily with the board.

Incredibly, Mourinho's decision to leave Stamford Bridge after three years at the club comes just two days before they travel to Old Trafford to face Manchester United in the Premier League in one of the biggest games of the season.

It means assistant manager Steve Clarke or director of football Avram Grant will be asked to take the team on Sunday.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=482822&in_page_id=1779&ito=newsnow

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Hits the Telegraph now.

(In the rolling Breaking news at the top)

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Sky News are saying similar.

Watching the Chelsea highlights last night, I got the impression he was unhappy with how things were going at the club (whether it be on the pitch, or behind the scenes) and I was genuinely thinking that maybe he wouldn't last the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

Also 'Breaking News' on Sky News now.

Maybe the FAI have tapped him to replace Stan the man. :D

• Advertisement

Its on Sky News now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

See ya now Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

And before the ManU game at the weekend.
    And it's on BBC News 24. Too much smoke for there to be no fire.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

He is going to take over at Leyton Orient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Was on Skysports just there apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Wow this is amazing news if its true. For all of the bad things about Mourinho he will definitely be missed from the Premier League.

TBH I think Chelsea are crazy to let him go. The guy is a winner and there are not many managers around that could achieve what he has. And he is box office too, I`d say lots of soccer journos will be crying into their cornflakes in the morning wondering where their copy is going to come from now.

I`m sure it won`t be long before Mourinho bounces back though... I wonder if he fancies the challenge of taking from Stan?!;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

where will he go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Mourinho for Spurs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

where will he go?
    ManU, when Sir Alex retires at the end of this season ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

it's about time he left tbh. it's been pretty clear over the past season or so that he has had very little input in transfers and that. he did good, but i think it's time he shows what he is really capable of in one of the big leagues given complete control of the budget ad transfers etc.

on the other side, i can easily see whoever comes in getting a lot more out of some of the existing players there. a huge amount of talent is being squandered at Chelsea imo. i'd be more worried about Chelsea's potential threat under a new manager like Ramos, than i would Mourinho. probably not this season though.

to conlude: fairwell Mourinho, you arrogant git, you may be a good manager but I can't say I'll miss you.

It'll be interesting to see where he goes. would Barca, given current circumstances, axe Rijkaard to get José?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Maybe Barca ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

yep its true

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/7003912.stm

i'd say Hiddink is already lined up

Exit wrote:
    Mourinho for Spurs?

I hope so... that would be brilliant! I just hope that he stays in the Premier League and outside the top four (which is unbelievably unlikely) Spurs is the only option. His family is settled in London so you never know...

Otherwise I would say he will take the rest of the season off and look at his options in the summer. The Portugese national team would be an option too but I imagine he would consider himself too young for that.

Maybe the FAI tapped him up....!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

F*ck Yes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Skys "breaking news" said " Jose Mourinho has left Chelsea FC. Maybe he's just gone home for the evening and somebody got there wires crossed :p

hmmm... maybe if we all agreed to chip ina few quid, the FAI would approach him, even on a part time basis! :D

edit:
    GBX wrote:
    Skys "breaking news" said " Jose Mourinho has left Chelsea FC. Maybe he's just gone home for the evening and somebody got there wires crossed :p

lol, tbh I wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised if that were true :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Well thats lovely going into Sunday, as if things weren't bad enough :mad:

Mourinho - great manager, terrible sport.

Such a shame Wenger never got one over him...

I think Benitez will miss him the most.

Chelsea should go for Juande Ramos, but I really hope he stays with Sevilla for at least this season.

I can still see Chelsea winning at Old Trafford on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

From his own point of view, its not a great time to be leaving, there isn't any of the big European teams that are on the lookout, and I can't see him settling with a 'spurs'. He considers himself, and rightly so, a top club manager. Real could have been his had he pulled the trigger in the summer.

actually, isn't it likely yer man Avraham Grant who Ambramovich seems to have a hard on for will step in for the rest of the season at least?

(or rather until another big name becomes available?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Madness.

how much will this affect Chelsea's title bid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

It'll be interesting to see where he goes. would Barca, given current circumstances, axe Rijkaard to get José?

Considering the type of football they play i'd be surprised to see him go to Barca, Inter could use a coach like him possibly , other than that i reckon he should have a go setting up a team at a slightly smaller club and bring them success, he's certainly a good enough manager to do it. Bad time to sack a manager though, damn good news for United if its the case, couldn't pick a better time to play them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Football has officially gone nuts.

how much will this affect Chelsea's title bid?

A lot, I would imagine.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

He''l have a few months off, one of the big euro clubs will sack a manager, and he will slot in there.

would Barca, given current circumstances, axe Rijkaard to get José?
    Unlikely. He's been painted as the devil over there by the Catalan press. He wouldn't be a popular choice for aesthetic reasons either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Good riddance Maureen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Anyone else thinks this means Fat Frank will finally head off to Barca, supposedly he didn't turn up to the dvd launch with the rest of the team after Jose rang him to give him the bad news?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Dub13 wrote:
    Maybe the FAI tapped him up....!!!

Yes Delaney has confirmed that Jose Mourinho has replaced Bobby Robson in the role of consultant to Steve Staunton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

From his own point of view, its not a great time to be leaving, there isn't any of the big European teams that are on the lookout, and I can't see him settling with a 'spurs'. He considers himself, and rightly so, a top club manager. Real could have been his had he pulled the trigger in the summer.

Well in that case he could always take a rest for a while, recently he's looked like he hasn't been getting much sleep with the russian mafia hounding him for victories etc. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Mezcita wrote:
    Madness.
    +1.

Cannot understand this, but then again I'm not a Russian billionaire. Things havent seemed right at Chelski in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Id say it might have something to do with what Souness was saying last night, that what Abromovich wanted was the atmosphere in the stadium, the adoration of the fans and the scintilating football that he saw at the Man U Madrid match before he bought Chelsea. They've never had any of that really and the lack of attendance from fans to the Bridge last night coupled with a bad home draw against one of the worst teams in the champions league might have been too much. Even if Mourinho gets success, it doesnt seem to be the kind of success Roman wants.

With Seville's ethos on the game under Ramos i could definately see him being the favourite to take over, which is a pity as i like Ramos and id be forced to dislike him then :(

Still shocking timing though, but i guess things must have just come to a head. Maybe some things were said after last night that made things irreconcilable.

At least after the United match they have Hull and Fulham to try and steady the ship before Valencia come to visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah ****s sake, crazy!

Can't believe he has gone!

United for the league now definitely...:P

• Advertisement

I'm glad I didn't back Jol as the first manager to go now :p

Double Post, sorry, plz delete :)

cheesedude wrote:
    United for the league now definitely...:P

My arse, Man Utd are suffering the problem of integrating and allowing the new players to adapt while the more senior will be slowly phased out, bit of a transition period imo. Liverpool still haven't been able to overcome the tendency to play too deep and just lump it forward on evidence of more recent games. Arsenal have shown the most promise. the younger heads are finally growing into their boots. And Chelsea still have the squad to compete regardless. it'll be a four way race hopefully til the end. with Man City as the dark horses :D

anyway that's off topic. i'm just delighted that Mourinho is finally gone. lets see some attractive football from all that talent finally!

Chelsea never lost at home under Jose, now that his tenure is over his record is complete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

A crucial period for Chelsea now. Will Abromovich appoint such a strong character as Ramos, or give the job to a stooge like Grant?

And considering the team spirit Mourinho instilled in the squad, I wonder will players like Terry, Lampard and Drogba be unsettled?

Imagine Mourinho at Spurs! I guess it could happen, he recently said his family are settled in London, he constantly states he puts his family before football, and Spurs are a bit crazy spending money. Who knows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Bloody hell! Very random timing if you ask me. As a United fan, I hope this is true. I think the Chelsea powers that be are crazy to get rid of him (if this is true)

My guess would maybe be Capello to be his successor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Wow, that is just nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

My arse, Man Utd are suffering the problem of integrating and allowing the new players to adapt while the more senior will be slowly phased out, bit of a transition period imo. Liverpool still haven't been able to overcome the tendency to play too deep and just lump it forward on evidence of more recent games. Arsenal have shown the most promise. the younger heads are finally growing into their boots. And Chelsea still have the squad to compete regardless. it'll be a four way race hopefully til the end. with Man City as the dark horses :D

anyway that's off topic. i'm just delighted that Mourinho is finally gone. lets see some attractive football from all that talent finally!

It does seem like the premierships scriptwriters have been watching a bit of last seasons La Liga and figured England could do with a bit of that - twas far too much consistency till this year!

On Capello, i very much doubt it. Id say one of the big reasons for Jose leaving would be the style of football he insists on playing with 2 holding midfielders etc, and Capello is one of the most defensive around.

The new man will either be an attack minded guy like Ramos or as was mentioned a stooge like Grant who'll play whatever football Roman wants.

besty wrote:
    good shout, he fits the bill to a T as far as im concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

besty wrote:
    Bloody hell! Very random timing if you ask me. As a United fan, I hope this is true. I think the Chelsea powers that be are crazy to get rid of him (if this is true)

Don't think Capello speaks English. Still, didn't stop Ranieri from having a go!

• Advertisement
Advertisement