Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mourinho possibly gone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This is amazing. Chelsea are f*cked now.

Mourinho for the Ireland job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Won't be long before Real sack Schuster, then Mourinho's in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Won't be long before Real sack Schuster, then Mourinho's in.

Dunno would José go there. managers at Real for the past decade have all had the exact same problems as Mourinho faced at Chelsea: lack of complete control and lack of full backing from those above. it'd be the same story, different league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Jesus, that's crazy. What a total fúck-you to the club to leave at this time of the year rather than waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

John Terry to be named player/manager.

Chelsea site confirms he's gone. http://www.chelseafc.com/xxchelsea180706/index.html#/page/NewsHomePage/list_2209129_0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If true, there'll be an exodus from Chelsea come the next two transfer windows. If he goes somewhere big like Real, I wouldn't be surprised to see Terry, Lampard and Drogba following.

He's not exactly covered himself in glory when forced to work around injuries... so maybe those big offers won't be coming in too quick...

Chelsea site confirming it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

HOLY SH1T!!! what great news after a night out!!! I know its being reported everywhere but I hope to god it's true 100%. im heading over to the game on sunday.... officially cant wait now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

V brusque statement:
    CHELSEA STATEMENT
    Chelsea Football Club and José Mourinho have agreed to part company today (Thursday) by mutual consent.
    http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LandingPage/0,,10268~1031634,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Just seen this story on France24. Very strange timing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Strange alright. Very clever timing to go now rather than face being demolished 1-0 by Fergie and co. at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Good ridance, what an utter child of a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Can't say I'll miss him tbh, chelsea fairly fcuked now:D!! I wouldn't be surprised if Hiddink took the job while still managing Russia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Loved Mourinho. Hope he stays in the Premiership. Come to Villa Jose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Now that it is official :):):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

just confirmed on sky news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭patrickc

not much of a statement eh, no proper reasons.. good riddance i never liked him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭patrickc

cheesedude wrote:
    Yeah ****s sake, crazy!

Can't believe he has gone!

United for the league now definitely...:P

you mean the gunners....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

retarded sacking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

or push/"mutual consent"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

This seems to have been brewing for a long time but it's quite unexpected at this time.
    I'd have expected him to leave at the end of the season regardless of if he'd won the Premiership/Champions League.
    The amount of control he had at the club was continually being undermined.

As a neutral football fan, I'd have to say this is a golden opportunity for Arsenal and Liverpool.
    If Arsenal can tighten up defensively while continuing to play like they have been on the rest of the park, they are definitely going to be in the running.
    Obviously you can't rule out Utd. and a win this weekend would do wonders for them.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Terry, Lampard and Drogba. Lampard and Drogba in particular will likely be on the way out.
    Somehow I can't see Terry wanting to play anywhere else.

Interesting times all the same.

Killian

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

sounds like he quit, he announced it by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Very sad news for the Premiership, he is a very very intelligent man and I for one will miss him, I think those that think badly of him didn't understand his intelligence and the way he used it to get other managers and media talking about the issues he wanted.

Hopefully he will come back to the premiership soon, perhaps a short drive to Spurs? Imo klinsmann will be the next Chelsea manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

staunton for chelsea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If ferguson was to leave United at the end of this season, I could see Mourinho taking over.

I'm really not a fan of his style of play, but I reckon ferfie will have a say in who takes over, and I reckon Fergie would love it to be Mourinho as Jose has the same hands on approach to managing the club as fergie does. Although Ronaldo hates the guy now so that could play against him.

As for the story in general - not a massive shock really. Surprised that it happened now, just before the United game, but was also a little surprised Mourinho was in charge at the Community Shield, I though he'd be going in the summer.

Will be putting a few quid on Hiddink to eventually be named as the replacement, given his relationship with Abramovic.

irish1 wrote:
    Very sad news for the Premiership, he is a very very intelligent man and I for one will miss him, I think those that think badly of him didn't understand his intelligence and the way he used it to get other managers and media talking about the issues he wanted.

Hopefully he will come back to the premiership soon, perhaps a short drive to Spurs? Imo klinsmann will be the next Chelsea manager
    I kinda thought the same, until he called Ronaldo a lier and cheat, and said it was not surprising considering he grew up as a poor kid and received little education. To attack some one like that, let alone someone you apparently considered as a friend was just so damn low and completely lacking in the class his expensive education should seemingly have brought him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Its a bit of shock alright, only heard this morning. Another character gone from the premiership. You can all say what you like buit he will be missed, purely for comedy reasons tho!

A very good manager cannot be denied...will be interesting to see who takes his place. Lippi, Scolari, Staunton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Didier Deschamps maybe?

He quit Juve in the summer and is currently available. Also, the fact he's an ex Chelsea player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Nunu wrote:
    Didier Deschamps maybe?

He quit Juve in the summer and is currently available. Also, the fact he's an ex Chelsea player.

some of the papers are saying he's the immediate favourite to take over. how do they know? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Roar wrote:
    staunton for chelsea!

LOL! :D

• Advertisement

some of the papers are saying he's the immediate favourite to take over. how do they know? :confused:
    i'd be shocked - don't think he has the managerial experience or success to get it. Sure, he got Monaco to the CL final a few seasons ago, but Monaco were very poor the following season, and getting Juventus promoted from S.B is hardly a stunning acheivement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Trilla wrote:
    Its a bit of shock alright, only heard this morning. Another character gone from the premiership. You can all say what you like buit he will be missed, purely for comedy reasons tho!

seconded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I'd say it'll be Ramos from Sevilla, Deschamps had one good season with Monaco and it didnt have a bad team with Juve last season!

But Russian-Israeli links are strong so you never know, Grant might get it full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Well looks like he went with the stooge option

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/7004083.stm

woodyg wrote:
    Well looks like he went with the stooge option

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/7004083.stm
    Dunno - will have to wait for the statement later. I would have thought he'd be put in temporary charge of the club, if it is permenent i'd be surprised. Will have to wait and see what is said though.

Either way, Shevchenko will be getting a lot more game time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

This is sheer madness by Abramovic.

And the fact that bbc are saying that this Grant character is getting his job is also weird.

Another thought on Grant - i reckon he could easily be a puppet for Abramovic.

I would not be surprised if it was Roman telling Grant the team he wanted picked, and the tactics, with Grant issing them - as Roman doesn't have the required certs to be a boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

What good news to wake up to, im hungover, going to work early and this has brightened me up, nothing can bring me down.

Tauren wrote:
    Another thought on Grant - i reckon he could easily be a puppet for Abramovic.

I would not be surprised if it was Roman telling Grant the team he wanted picked, and the tactics, with Grant issing them - as Roman doesn't have the required certs to be a boss.
    The players would cop that soon enough, and if it is any way true, they'll be revolting.

Unless he gets rid of all the naysaying players in the squad, and tells the truth to new signings.

It's believable, but unworkable, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I was thinking earlier how funny it would be if Roman Abramovich appointed himself as manager.

Now it looks like he pretty much has.

Let the hilarity ensue!! :D

(it's not quite as humerous as having Roman in the dugout, and giving the interviews, but it's still pretty good!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Well, the 'special one' has found out that he is not so special after all!

What is questionable is the timing of this. It is far from ideal as the season is just under way. He could have been sacked after the end of last season and that would have seemed far more logical and would have tied in with the visible problems that appeared last season. It would also have given a new manager a tansfer window to set his tactics, style and players in the team. The new manager will have to wait until January.

The other aspect is the stong relationship many of the key players have with Mourinho, such as Terry and Lampard. They have at times tioed themselves mentally to Mourinho rather than laying their lives down for Abramovich. How they will be affected is anyone's guess. Terry has a new contract, but Lampard has not signed a new contract I understand.

With 3 years left on his contract worth 19m or so, and a reputed 10m pay-off for him to leave, in that sense it is a 'mutual consent', as in both parties agreed. However, it is a sacking in reality.

But the lesson is if you dont provide what the boss wants, you will get the chop. Plain and simple.

Abramovich's dream of emulating a Real Madrid in England has not come to pass, and his patience ran out. Stale performances, grinding out results are not what he wanted. Chelsea is an entertainment toy for him, a fact which many Chelsea fans still do not realise. He has decided to throw out part of that toy now out of the pram, as in Mourinho. The question is whether at some point he will tire of the whole project. It is likely to happen at some point, perhaps in the next 5 years. At that point, it will be a whole new ball game for Chelsea.

Redspider

DesF wrote:
    The players would cop that soon enough, and if it is any way true, they'll be revolting.

Unless he gets rid of all the naysaying players in the squad, and tells the truth to new signings.

It's believable, but unworkable, imo.
    why?

If they were winning, which is more then possible considering the ability of the players on show, why would the players really care who is picking the side? Going by reports, Abramovic gets on well with the Chelsea players so it is not like they'd be pissed to see him having more of an input - unless the playes are devoted to Grant, which i doubt.

I honestly can't see why the players would revolt unless Abamovic's actions were directly contributing to poor form. We don't even know what Mourinho's relationship with the players was/is really. Reports are that he had a MAJOR row with Terry before and after the game, and some players who have previously played for Mourinho have said he is not a nice guy to work for -but then again, I think he has got more out of Terry, Lampard and Drogba then anyone else would have.

It is a tough one, but if Grant is appointed, I can't see Roman maintaining his distance from team affairs, he will become a lot more involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

THis could sound the death knell of the club if RA goes.
    He wants to play an exciting brand of football but doing that and having success doing it are 2 very different things.

Maybe RA will pack up and go as the current team will fall apart in the next 18 months.

Anyway interesting times ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

SofaKing wrote:
    ManU, when Sir Alex retires at the end of this season ;)

if Mourinho goes to Man U ill support Man U !!!

first off - it has been said for a long time that Abramovic has deposited a very large amount of cash in an account for Chelsea, that will be released to them if/when he leaves so that the club does not fall apart. Secondly, if if that is not the case, someone else, someone else with a lot of money will buy the club from him. Chelsea are one of the biggest clubs around now, with fantastic facilitie. The represent a very good investment in footballing terms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

how much will this affect Chelsea's title bid?

well now with the mighty AVRAM GRANT !!!!!! WHO THE F*CK IS THAT!! ?? ..

it has affected not only the title bid , but they won't even make 4th spot !!

jank wrote:
    THis could sound the death knell of the club if RA goes.
    He wants to play an exciting brand of football but doing that and having success doing it are 2 very different things.

Maybe RA will pack up and go as the current team will fall apart in the next 18 months.

Anyway interesting times ahead.
    Ah come on there, that's a massive leap to make.

Clubs sack managers all the time, and players get over it, or leave and new players come in.

Chelsea will still attract the top players, because they can afford the top wages.

They won't be falling apart.

Tauren wrote:
    first off - it has been said for a long time that Abramovic has deposited a very large amount of cash in an account for Chelsea, that will be released to them if/when he leaves so that the club does not fall apart. Secondly, if if that is not the case, someone else, someone else with a lot of money will buy the club from him. Chelsea are one of the biggest clubs around now, with fantastic facilitie. The represent a very good investment in footballing terms.

Thats a very short tem view of things. How long do you think that chunk of cash will last to pay all those wages that chelsea are currently contarcted to.
    Also this idea that someone else will come along and buy the club is no gaurantee that players will not want to move off.
    A lot of EPL clubs are owned by forgieners are they all successful??:p

I just cant see them being as successful as the previous years and may even drop out of the top 4, especially with the African Nations coming up this year.
    its steady the ship time for chelsea.

Oh and Leeds were a big club too a few years ago....
    NOTHING is certain in football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Hell of a headline to wake up to this morning! :eek: Thought i was hearing things when i turned on the telly! I dunno whether he'll be a loss to the premiership or not. He's a good manager but an arrogant git at the same time.

No more egg speeches for a while :D.......

DesF wrote:
    Ah come on there, that's a massive leap to make.

Clubs sack managers all the time, and players get over it, or leave and new players come in.

Chelsea will still attract the top players, because they can afford the top wages.

They won't be falling apart.

Not saying it will happen but the possibility of it happening is greater now then ever under the RA era

• Advertisement
Advertisement