Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mourinho possibly gone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

DesF wrote:
    Ah come on there, that's a massive leap to make.

Clubs sack managers all the time, and players get over it, or leave and new players come in.

Chelsea will still attract the top players, because they can afford the top wages.

They won't be falling apart.
    Lampard hasn't signed a new deal yet and i cant see him staying now so that'll be a big loss. I can also see Drogba moving on. Thats 2 big players they could possibly lose and that will be a big problem for Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I won't miss him.

Im disappointed to see him leave but Im not at all suprised. I like Jose despite all his crap and I dont think the PL will be as entertaining without him. We can say what we like about him but the fact is that he has won everything there is to win in the game, albeit without the style of your Barcelona's etc etc. But I think that was the point, it was clear to see that Roman was flexing his muscle so to speak because the impression is there that he was forced into aigning players he did not necessarily want (Ballack and Shevchenko being the obvious ones) He brought a bit of life to the Premiership in recent years when it badly needed it. Good luck to him wherever he goes.

As for Chelsea, I think they may have problems now. Theyll probably look to get a world class coach in, someone like Capello (who said recently that he was done with club management) but realistically besides the money its clearly a job that any self thinking coach would be aprehensive about taking bearing in mind the pressure theyre going to be under. Pressure to win is one thing, but pressure on your team selection is a whole different matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jank wrote:
    Thats a very short tem view of things. How long do you think that chunk of cash will last to pay all those wages that chelsea are currently contarcted to.
    Also this idea that someone else will come along and buy the club is no gaurantee that players will not want to move off.
    A lot of EPL clubs are owned by forgieners are they all successful??:p

I just cant see them being as successful as the previous years and may even drop out of the top 4, especially with the African Nations coming up this year.
    its steady the ship time for chelsea.

Oh and Leeds were a big club too a few years ago....
    NOTHING is certain in football
    Well - apparently chelsea are going to be running within their means soon enough (previous 'debt' wiped out) so they should be able to afford the wages they are currently offering, who really knows though.

There is a long way to go between not being successful and the team falling apart thoguh.

Player may leave, but other players will come in for them. I can't see them 'doing a leeds' to be honest with you, there are way to many assets in the first place (such as the groun, the hotel and the training pitches)

As for them dropping out of the top 4, ar you having a laugh? I'd be shocked if chelsea were not in the title race up to the last couple of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

jobonar wrote:
    Lampard hasn't signed a new deal yet and i cant see him staying now so that'll be a big loss. I can also see Drogba moving on. Thats 2 big players they could possibly lose and that will be a big problem for Chelsea
    New players will come in.

Strange as it may seem, Lampard and Drogba aren't irreplaceable worldbeaters.

They won nothing major last season.

jank wrote:
    Not saying it will happen but the possibility of it happening is greater now then ever under the RA era
    RA wants to build a Real Madrid, or to make Chelsea the "Man Utd of the South":p

He won't be walking out any time soon.

FACT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

jank wrote:
    Thats a very short tem view of things. How long do you think that chunk of cash will last to pay all those wages that chelsea are currently contarcted to.
    Also this idea that someone else will come along and buy the club is no gaurantee that players will not want to move off.
    A lot of EPL clubs are owned by forgieners are they all successful??:p

I just cant see them being as successful as the previous years and may even drop out of the top 4, especially with the African Nations coming up this year.
    its steady the ship time for chelsea.

Oh and Leeds were a big club too a few years ago....

I can't see that happening at all. Realistically they should be fighting tooth and nail for the title right to the end...only 2 pts short at the moment despite whats going on.

jobonar wrote:
    not too hard to fix though.

A fit Ballack could come in for Lampard, and given the Ballack is a better player he could improve the chelsea side without Lampard there to compete with.

As for Drogba, that is a tougher one - but i still believe he is replacable. Maybe not within his own position, but if chelsea were to go to a traditional 442, with Malouda on one wing, SWP on the other, Ballack and Essien in the middle - you could play Shevchenko and A.N.Other up top and still be damn good. Who is to say they wouldn't replace him with someone like Berbatov - he'd be a damned good signing, or Ibrahimovic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I imagine a bit of a player exodus following Mourinho wherever he goes. Lampard, Terry, Carvalho, ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

jank wrote:

That's very true.

The leaving of Mourinho is not the end of the world for Chelsea. But I would be surprised if they win the CL and/or League this season, just by the effects that happen when any manager leaves in such circumstances.

Abramovich leaving (ie: selling Chelsea) would not be the end of the world for Chelsea either. They are in a good position to continue in a top-4 position. But what is not known, is whether the new owners would be willing to pump in as much money on an annual basis that Abramovich is doing, and running the business at such huge losses. Looking around the leagues across Europe, no-one else is doing that so I would think No. That would mean a different and lower financed Chelsea. No more Duff's, Robben's, Drogba's, Wright-Phillips, Ballack's, Shevcenko's, or at least an awful lot fewer of them.

However, I dont think Abramovich has tired yet. The Mourinho phase is over, an interim situation may exist for a while, and a new phase will begin. He so wants to win the CL, it is palpable. He may be willing to spend 500m to do it so he still has some money left. Having only 20,000 odd fans at a CL match must have been very embarassing for Abramovich. This is far from a Real Madrid situation that has been created and it was another nail in the coffin for the Mourinho phase, along with the result.

I would guess that he must be extremely jealous of Arsenal as well, that's more the style that he wanted to end up with. Could he persuade Wenger to join Chelsea? Or more daring, could he mount a bid for Arsenal, and then off-load Chelsea?

Stranger things have happened ...

Redspider

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote:
    not too hard to fix though.

A fit Ballack could come in for Lampard, and given the Ballack is a better player he could improve the chelsea side without Lampard there to compete with.

As for Drogba, that is a tougher one - but i still believe he is replacable. Maybe not within his own position, but if chelsea were to go to a traditional 442, with Malouda on one wing, SWP on the other, Ballack and Essien in the middle - you could play Shevchenko and A.N.Other up top and still be damn good. Who is to say they wouldn't replace him with someone like Berbatov - he'd be a damned good signing, or Ibrahimovic.
    Thats relying on Ballack staying. He may still be on his way out too.

Lampard and Drogba are by no means the best players in the world but thats where all Chelsea's goals come from. The last 2 games they've been missing and they couldn't buy a goal. Along with Terry they are what makes Chelsea solid.

Drogba, however much i dont like him, is a great centre forward who has adapted very well to the English game. Berbatov is the only forward IMO that could fill his boots without needing to settle in. Shevchenko? He cant be relied on as the main striker now. He's yet to prove himself in England and at this stage i dont believe he ever will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

V!alli wrote:
    I'm glad I didn't back Jol as the first manager to go now :p

Someone texted into Newstalk a few minutes ago saying that they got about 80/1 for Jose to go first.... jammy pigs :(

i can see lampard going, maybe Carvalho, but Terry will stay. He has just signed a new contract, has been with chelsea for years and is the club captain - I don't see him jumping ship anytime soon.

DesF wrote:
    They won nothing major last season.
    2nd in the League, CL semi Final and won the FA Cup and Carling Cup. FA Cup is still a major trophy. If it wasnt then other teams beside United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea would have been winning it in recent years. And with it being the first final in New Wembley and all.........

jobonar wrote:
    Thats relying on Ballack staying. He may still be on his way out too.

Lampard and Drogba are by no means the best players in the world but thats where all Chelsea's goals come from. The last 2 games they've been missing and they couldn't buy a goal. Along with Terry they are what makes Chelsea solid.

Drogba, however much i dont like him, is a great centre forward who has adapted very well to the English game. Berbatov is the only forward IMO that could fill his boots without needing to settle in. Shevchenko? He cant be relied on as the main striker now. He's yet to prove himself in England and at this stage i dont believe he ever will
    As a main striker Shevchenko may not cut it in England, but play him up top in a 442 (as opposed to on the wing or central in a 433) and you would have a massively different player imo. The Mourinho style didn't suit him. Grant was brought in, in the summer with one of thegoals being to get the best out of shevchenko.

Regardless of anything else, Shevchenko will be getting a lot more game time now - and if player right he could finally show the player he used to be.

Tauren wrote:
    As a main striker Shevchenko may not cut it in England, but play him up top in a 442 (as opposed to on the wing or central in a 433) and you would have a massively different player imo. The Mourinho style didn't suit him. Grant was brought in, in the summer with one of thegoals being to get the best out of shevchenko.

Regardless of anything else, Shevchenko will be getting a lot more game time now - and if player right he could finally show the player he used to be.
    I dont doubt Terry will stay. I couldn't see him leaving. Althought rumour has it that an arguement with Terry sped up his departure.....

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2741850,00.html

Well now that Grant will be Abromovich's puppet he'll play every game. If the team play the way Abromovich wants them too i can see them struggling.

jobonar wrote:
    I dont doubt Terry will stay. I couldn't see him leaving. Althought rumour has it that an arguement with Terry sped up his departure.....

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2741850,00.html

Er, that's from the Sun, would believe it less than an OJ Simpson testimony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I really hated the man and good riddance but as soon as his book comes out, I'll be first in the queue to buy it! I'd say he's a lot of dirt to dish on Roman!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well - apparently chelsea are going to be running within their means soon enough (previous 'debt' wiped out) so they should be able to afford the wages they are currently offering, who really knows though.

Apparently thats the plan but they also want to be the biggest club in the world and a half empty stadium will not do that im afraid.
    They arent even the biggest club in London FFS

Redspider hit the nail on the head there. RA looks to North London and sees what Wenger is doing at Arsenal with **** all money. They fill the ground week in week out play the best football in the league.

However, Wenger would never leave Arsenal. RA buying arsenal then...hmm maybe but i dont want that to happen either. Anway like United and Fergie Wenger controlls very facet of the club.

As i said interesting times ahead, but a reality check for RA

• Advertisement

DesF wrote:
    Er, that's from the Sun, would believe it less than an OJ Simpson testimony.
    Thats why i said "Rumour" :D

Tauren wrote:
    As a main striker Shevchenko may not cut it in England ... Shevchenko will be getting a lot more game time now - and if player right he could finally show the player he used to be.

Yes, he will be getting a lot more game time. If the new manager can set-up a side that suits him, he could blossom.

But Shev is very much a confidence player, and he suffers from low confidence at times which severely affects his game. This is clearly visible in his body language. At times last season he was literally tripping over on the ball as his legs was so jelly like and his touch had gone. Its still gone.

The new manager will need to instill confidence in him. That is possible but it will take some time. It was clear that with the thaw in relations between Mourinho and Abramovich resulted in Mourinho giving Shev a hard time. Mourinho was playing on his weakness and knew it more to the point. One thing is for sure, Shevcenko wont be shedding any tears that Mourinho is gone. I'd say he was cracking out the Vodka and the Caviar last night. The question is, how many other players were doing it? Ballack, perhaps?

But for others, Terry, Lampard, it is a major change for them.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

redspider wrote:
    I would guess that he must be extremely jealous of Arsenal as well, that's more the style that he wanted to end up with.

I would say this is a big factor. For all the money spent and stars they posess, Chelsea can be a hard team to watch. Roman wants the beautiful game at the bridge.

As a Pool fan Im delighted. When Abramovich took over I imagined a Real Madrid-esque nightmare where managers are sacked on a regular basis, whether they are succesful or not. It took time for him to warm up but once he starts swinging the Axe, he could find it hard to stop.
    Getting rid of Jose is a massive mistake on Chelseas part. But Im not complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Cant say I'm upset or suprised by this apart from the fact its only a few games into a new season. This has been coming for a long time. IIRC didnt himself and RA not speak for a few months last season. Looks like Tueday night was the final nail in the coffin, between the piss poor result and piss poor turnout of the plastic chelsea fan.

As much as I hated Jose, he did the business for Chelsea even if it was by playing some awfully boring football. I'm sure this is a sad day for the true Chelsea fans, but i wonder how many of the plastic fans will stick around if Grant doesnt have them challenging this year.

Interesting times lie ahead at Stamford Bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

BBC are saying Grant will be taking over from Jose.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2741858,00.html

yom 1 wrote:
    Interesting times lie ahead at Stamford Bridge

Very much so. The next year is gonna be interesting to see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Tauren wrote:
    The represent a very good investment in footballing terms.

In all fairness they've gone tits up twice in the last 25 years, saved 3 times, first by bates, then by harding and then roman. I'm not saying they will do a Leeds. If the big players, Drogba(seriously dobt him going) or rotund Frank go, they'll get big cash for them asnd will be able to get a more than adequate replacement. Most important signing was Terry signing a new contract.

As for Jose, if he was at any other club other than Them and united, i'd have been his biggest fan. altho if he does go to spuds, i'll have to to hate him evenmore.

In all fairness they've gone tits up twice in the last 25 years, saved 3 times, first by bates, then by harding and then roman. I'm not saying they will do a Leeds. If the big players, Drogba(seriously dobt him going) or rotund Frank go, they'll get big cash for them asnd will be able to get a more than adequate replacement. Most important signing was Terry signing a new contract.

As for Jose, if he was at any other club other than Them and united, i'd have been his biggest fan. altho if he does go to spuds, i'll have to to hate him evenmore.
    yes, they almost went tits up twice, but they were far further away from going under just before RA arrived then people would have you believe. Yes, they had large debts, but the assets, especially SB and the hotel would have covered it, so things weren't that drastic. Also, when chelsea have been seemingly close to going under, they weren't a big club in world footballing terms. they are now. Massive fan base, plastic or not. It would take a massive turn around for chelsea to fall apart really - if RA was to leave they might become less competitive for a few seasons, but i'd not have any worry of them sliding to League 1 with a 10point penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The thing is that Ambrovomich wanted a team that won and played good football. He wanted to create a great team. Mourinho just wanted to win. I think this is great, a team with Chelseas money trying to play good football will be a joy to watch. Chelsea imo are still in the title race, 2nd favorites, but I think United are favorites now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Not being bitchy but 24K at the opening Champions league match is not a huge fan base, it was the same last year for soem FAC up ties, they could'nt give the tickets away. I think they've gotten a bigger base since RC came but nothing comapred to United, and they're well behind Arsenal, Liverpool possibly even spurs and Newcastle.

As for the hotel, when RC came that was their one saving grace for a good while, but even if they did sell the hotel then, they were still running a huge deficit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Not being bitchy but 24K at the opening Champions league match is not a huge fan base, it was the same last year for soem FAC up ties, they could'nt give the tickets away. I think they've gotten a bigger base since RC came but nothing comapred to United, and they're well behind Arsenal, Liverpool possibly even spurs and Newcastle.

AFAIK Chelsea's fanbase is still smaller than Leeds and Sunderland in England (or some other championship clubs along those lines)

i dont think this is going to be as devastating for Chelsea as some make out. Clearly Ambramovich and Mourinho have different philosophies on the game and it was always going to end up this way. they could never work together.

if Ambramovich maintains a bit of sense about him i think this is a new beginning for Chelsea. Mourinho was very arrogant and pigheaded, and and his personality and teams were never very endearing for the average neutral. His siege mentality is what makes his teams so successful, but if you maintain that attitude you're never going to win over the fanbase that Chelsea want (and need for their long term financial ambitions). What Chelsea need to do is play attractive football to win over the the fanbase. they need to abandon the cagey and cynical style for a more open and fluid game like Arsenal and Man Utd.

Ambramovich bought Sheva for one reason. he wanted to see Chelsea change the way they play. under Mourinho, Sheva was never going to be successful. Forwards always look somewhat isolated at Chelsea, and rely on knockdowns and imposing themselves to get goals. Sheva isn't this type of player. he needs more build up play, more through balls instead of long range shots (that Lamps and Cole love) and more space being created by the midfield. Had Mourinho decided to embrace Sheva and set his stall around him, Sheva would be a very different player than the one we see today. instead Mourinho took offense and seemingly tried to ruin a glittering career by seemingly placing Sheva in scenarios where he was never going to be successful. support striker to Drogs or winger, ffs. never going to work. Now that Mourinho is gone, Ambramovich can take the time to get in a manager he agrees with, and knows he can have a successful working relationship with. this is what is needed if Chelsea are to ever fulfill their lofty ambitions.

now we hear about grant. yes it's a stooge appointment, but i for one will give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being. Grant did some good things with Isreal, and there is no reason to believe he isn't capable of making the step up. but only time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

As someone else mentioned, BBC is reporting that Avram Grant is taking over as manager! I laughed out loud when I saw that... Ok perhaps Grant is a managerial genius and will transform Chelsea into free-flowing proponents of the beautiful game but I doubt it and his managerial record fairly average. A couple of spells with Macabi Tel Aviv and Macabi Haifa and a couple of championships and nothing too special and then doing well enough with Israel but still not qualifying for anything.

There is no evidence to suggest that he will transform Chelsea into what Abramovich is looking for. I hope Roman gets what he deserves and realises that world-class coaches like Mourinho don`t come around all that often and you shouldn`t go around interfering with a winning formula.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

As a Chelsea fan, I'm gutted, JM was without doubt our best manager ever, delivering 2 league titles, the FA cup, 2 league cups, 2 champions league semis, the most incredible unbeaten home run ever, and only getting beaten 10ish times in the premiership during his tenure and that idiot Roman allows him to leave, absolutely daft and has well and truly pulled the rug out from under us this season.

The man is a chelsea legend and Kenyon and co will have their work cut out to win the real fans back. I'll never forget the feeling of winning the league, of beating barca at home ,of thumping utd 3-0 largely thanks to the team that Jose made / bought.

Personally I couldn't care less about how stylishly we play as long as we win, if Abramovich wants to play fantasy football he should buy a PS3 and not cause our greatest ever manager to leave on the eve of a crucial game with Man Utd. over his love affair with Shevchenko. I had enough years of exciting, losing football under Hoddle, Gullit, Ranieri, Vialli to last me a lifetime, I'll happily swap excitement for trophies, it helps drown out the incessant crowing about history from anfield.

The usual doom, gloom, everyone will leave, club go bust, RA is bored, will go to jail, lampard to Barca next tuesday, terry depressed, rubbish from the pool and arsenal fans is to be expected of course, still struggling to get over the fact that Chelsea can win some of the silverware you think is yours by some divine right :rolleyes: Although I think we have now handed the initiative for this season's league back to ye.

I hope he doesn't come back to the Premiership as I wouldn't like to face him as an opponent in the future!

Bye bye The Special One, thanks for the good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

As for the hotel, when RC came that was their one saving grace for a good while, but even if they did sell the hotel then, they were still running a huge deficit.

that was some sort of protest against ticket prices though

was something like £34 into that game in tuesday, fans just wouldnt pay it, thats all

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

haw haw.

event wrote:
    that was some sort of protest against ticket prices though

was something like £34 into that game in tuesday, fans just wouldnt pay it, thats all

Tickets were £41 and £36 for Tuesday, there was no organised protest about the prices , the fact is that after forking out £800+ for a season ticket, and having come to expect a good Champions League, FA Cup, League Cup run most seasons, the prospect of forking out another £40 odd quid to watch a game that should have been a formality is not very tempting for many fans. If we were playing Sevilla, Porto etc. then we would probably sold out. Football is expensive, chelsea doesn't have a massive fan base so its the same core of season ticket holders and members + their families and the odd tourist-type that make up the regular crowd at the bridge, and they don't have a bottomless pit of cash.

growler wrote:
    and that idiot Roman allows him to leave, absolutely daft

Except that it was the 'idiot' Roman that has made Chelsea. Their recent success is due to him, as without Abramovich, there wouldnt have been 2 league titles, 2 CL semi's, etc. Chelsea are Abramobich's club, not Borinho's. Their success was/is down to Abramovich first and foremost. Jose was but a mere employee.

Your point about winning ugly being better than entertaining football is a valid one perhaps that many long-term Chelsea fans will also feel. However, that was never Abramovich's gameplan. Yes, he wants to win trophies, but with style. Think of Chelsea like his collection of yachts, that are also his 'bling', his toys. Its not getting from A to B on the sea that's important to him, he doesnt go by ferry.

But buying success and style on a football pitch is not easy, even with near limitless funds as he has found out. Its a lot different than getting a yacht built. I think that Abramovich will give the Chelsea project 10 years. If he doesnt get a CL title in that timeframe, he will be gone. Sooner, if things go more pear-shaped and getting a CL looks unlikely for the remainder years.

The Abramovich/Chelsea story enters a new chapter.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The Chelsea website confirms Avram Grant and Steve Clarke are taking over.

Anybody else hear the rumour that it was Mark Hughes?! I spent the last 2 hours believing it, I should really check the facts first :(

redspider wrote:
    Except that it was the 'idiot' Roman that has made Chelsea. Their recent success is due to him, as without Abramovich, there wouldnt have been 2 league titles, 2 CL semi's, etc. Chelsea are Abramobich's club, not Borinho's. Their success was/is down to Abramovich first and foremost. Jose was but a mere employee.

Your point about winning ugly being better than entertaining football is a valid one perhaps that many long-term Chelsea fans will also feel. However, that was never Abramovich's gameplan. Yes, he wants to win trophies, but with style. Think of Chelsea like his collection of yachts, that are also his 'bling', his toys. Its not getting from A to B on the sea that's important to him, he doesnt go by ferry.

But buying success and style on a football pitch is not easy, even with near limitless funds as he has found out. Its a lot different than getting a yacht built. I think that Abramovich will give the Chelsea project 10 years. If he doesnt get a CL title in that timeframe, he will be gone. Sooner, if things go more pear-shaped and getting a CL looks unlikely for the remainder years.

The Abramovich/Chelsea story enters a new chapter.

Redspider

I never cease to be amazed at just how well you understand Roman Abramovich's mentality, thinking, and future plans, you truly are a most insightful person. .....Or else you haven't a clue and just make it all up to suit your ideal worldview: which usually seems to involves Roman being locked up in Siberia and Chelsea going bust (or variations on that theme).

Chelsea's success was down to (a) having the money to invest initially in bringing in some new players : true. but just as important was the new management, style and belief that Jose brought to the club. We had superstars before but never the management / discipline to deliver a league title.

Anyone (with the dosh) could have put up the money I don't think anyone could have delivered two titles in two years and had such a record in the premiership. Losing Jose is idiotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Whats this mean for all the portugese staff that came in with mourinho? Not the best time to be doing a complete backroom re-shuffle.

• Advertisement

Whats this mean for all the portugese staff that came in with mourinho? Not the best time to be doing a complete backroom re-shuffle.
    A P45 in May probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

To add to that, he seemed to be only one of a few managers worldwide, that was able to motivate every player on his team even though most of them are on over £70K a week. That takes some stewardship and fair play to him

growler wrote:
    I never cease to be amazed at just how well you understand Roman Abramovich's mentality, thinking, and future plans, you truly are a most insightful person. .....Or else you haven't a clue and just make it all up to suit your ideal worldview: which usually seems to involves Roman being locked up in Siberia and Chelsea going bust (or variations on that theme).

Chelsea's success was down to (a) having the money to invest initially in bringing in some new players : true. but just as important was the new management, style and belief that Jose brought to the club. We had superstars before but never the management / discipline to deliver a league title.

Anyone (with the dosh) could have put up the money I don't think anyone could have delivered two titles in two years and had such a record in the premiership. Losing Jose is idiotic.

The Oligarch's 'raping and pillaging' of Russia's state assets under Yeltsin is well documented and IS the source of Abramovich's money. Other oligarch's are in prison in Siberia - fact. Abramovich probably would be as well save for the fact that he is a Putin-insider now and has paid Putin off, at least 75m dollars, for protection. The killing of Litvienko was Putin flexing his muscle showing that he can kill the many Russians that are in exile in London. IF Abramovich fell foul of Putin or Putin's successor, he could come to a sticky end. So, yes, what he was a part of was criminal and he should have gone to jail for it. Chelsea fans still have difficulty accepting that RA's money is dirty money.

I have never said that Chelsea will go bust. Abramovich is bank-rolling them at the moment, so they cant go bust while he is there and is willing to put the money in. They are also a club/business that have a good stream of revenue so are clearly a going-concern. A new owner would likely make them profitable, but that would likely mean less success on the field than under RA's ownership - not guaranteed of course, it being a funny ld game and all that.

Abramovich's money is more of a factor in Chelsea's success than Mourinho, imo. Maybe we will just have to 'agree to disagree' on that point. But any neutral point of view of the situation would show you that if Mourinho was say in charge of West Ham with their low level of funds, would he have won 2 league titles? The answer to most people is no. Its a bit like Formula 1 perhaps. Put Hamilton or Alonso in a Spyker and they will not win like they are doing in McLaren's. Its also true that under a different manager, maybe Chelsea wouldnt have won anything, but we will never know. It is probable that most managers with those funds avalable would have won something, maybe even a CL. I am not saying that Mourinho was a useless manager, far from it. Just saying that RA's money is the main reason for Chelsea's success. I think if you dont admit that to yourself you are sticking your head in the sand.

You say anyone with the dosh could have done what RA has done. But no-one else with dosh is putting in as much money as Abramovich has done, anywhere in the world, not before, nor since. Chelsea is, on their current scale of spending in RA's reign, unique in that regard, so it is not a case of just anyone coming into do it.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Absolutely bonkers.

RA has his puppet in charge now, but will he play heart-racing, exciting football? Who has he managed before actually?

Crazy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

redspider wrote:
    Chelsea fans still have difficulty accepting that RA's money is dirty money.

r

Considering their "is it guns, is it drugs" chant I dont think they really do.

I remember Joses face after Abramo walked out of the villa match, he seldom shows emotion but he looked terrified. Still think this is an awful descision that will come back and bite them on the arse, and Ill miss Jose and his bizarre speeches.

redspider wrote:
    Abramovich's money is more of a factor in Chelsea's success than Mourinho, imo. Maybe we will just have to 'agree to disagree' on that point. But any neutral point of view of the situation would show you that if Mourinho was say in charge of West Ham with their low level of funds, would he have won 2 league titles? The answer to most people is no.

I am not saying that Mourinho was a useless manager, far from it. Just saying that RA's money is the main reason for Chelsea's success. I think if you dont admit that to yourself you are sticking your head in the sand.

Redspider

you've heard of Porto presumably?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

growler wrote:
    you've heard of Porto presumably?
    They are the Man United of the Portuguese league, are they not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

They are the Man United of the Portuguese league, are they not?

Come on, surely even an Arsenal fan can accept that what Mourinho did at Porto was pretty special.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Come on, surely even an Arsenal fan can accept that what Mourinho did at Porto was pretty special.
    Very good manager but the Porto team was especially gifted, did he inherit the Porto team or build it? He did very well winning with Porto but i think his abilities can be over rated at times.

Advertisement