Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you believe in Heaven?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Not sure
    I don't believe in heaven at all. Been an atheist for a long time, it's a concept that makes no sense to me.

thats a fine view to take that it makes no sense I agree fully with you but would push it further by saying the existance of life at all makes no sense, so with that in mind the existance of a god makes as much sense as the non-existance of a god.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Not sure
    haha no. The Christian god is inherently contradicting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Not sure
    Just my opinion, but people who have full belief in a heaven or a god, are just too weak and too scared not to. They're scared that when they die, its just going to be their physical body rotting away underneath the ground. Sad fact is, thats exactly all that will happen when you die. You can try and sugar coat it with ideas like heaven, and god watching over you, but at the end of the day you might as well face it.

Estebancambias, you're a prime example of what religion does to people. It makes them narrow minded and ignorant to any beliefs outside of the ones they have been poisoned with. They reject scientific and logical fact, even though at times it is blindingly flawless in its truth. So live your life in fear of going to "hell" if you want. We're here for a good time, not for a long time so do whatever makes you happy, regardless of what religions forbid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

Tazzle wrote:
    their spirit does live on, it lives on in the lives they touched, the people who cared for them and the mark they left on the world.

Thats what I would like to think will happen after I have gone. No harps or clouds for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Not sure
    Good evening. Here is the news on Friday, the 27th of Geldof. Archeologists near Mount Sinai have discovered what is believed to be a missing page from the Bible. The page is currently being carbon-dated in Bonn. If genuine, it belongs at the beginning of the Bible and is believed to read, "To my darling Candy. All characters portrayed within this book are fictitous and any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental." The page has been universally condemned by church leaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

No
    The Bollox wrote:
    I'm not an athiest and I can think outside the box when I need / want to, but the concept of heaven is just not possible IMHO. every religeon which depicts an afterlife describes one where everyone is happy all the time and where nothing goes wrong. this is impossible, you need things to go wrong in order to be happy. look at it this way: if you succedded at absolutly everything you tried, no matter how half assed your attempt was where would the fun be? on paper it would be great: you always can win the lotto, so you have unlimited money; you always hook up with the prize girl and so forth. However eventually all this will be done by you and everything you could try will become boring.
    think outside the box man. man's ceaseless forward drive, ambition, evolving, improving, competitiveness, even his yearnings to breathe, breed, eat, drink, to be jealous, to love.... they're all the machinations of the human organism - necesary to further the human race.

However, you'll be free from those chains! you won't want to attain "the money", "the prize girl" or anything else for that matter. You'll be in a state where your natural goodness and goodwill will shine on like a crazy diamond!

also, there'll be blowjobs galore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Not sure
    heaven and hell is nonsense, some people are just too proud to admit they will only be here for a short time

and anyway why would you feel pain or pleasure if your dead

the only reason life feel pain is because any animal that eveloved without a sense of pain would not take care of itself and die of infections (removed from the gene pool get him a darwin award), so only animals that sense pain can exist in this world, luckily the evolution had many a million years to get it right

that whole thing about 70 virgins when ya die (suicide bombers) is worse
    why would you enjoy the act of attempting reproducing yourself when your dead :confused: fooking idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No
    DarkJager wrote:
    Just my opinion, but people who have full belief in a heaven or a god, are just too weak and too scared not to.

<snip>

It makes them narrow minded and ignorant to any beliefs outside of the ones they have been poisoned with.
    You're weak if you believe in god... as it makes you narrow minded, and you'll never think of any other views:rolleyes:

Look up irony...:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Not sure
    I like what ya did there. Take two sentences and mix them up to get a different meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Not sure
    No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

If you're dead for infinity, would that basically mean that it would come round full circle to the point of you existing but dead at the same time? Like anything can happen given an infinite amount of time as with with monkeys writing shakespeare? I dunno.

I don't agree with Wilde's interpretation. You may not have been around for 13 billion years but you're existing now and for that to be taken away is worse as you have something to lose whereas beforehand you had nothing to lose because you didn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

indough wrote:
    Once had a thought that freaked me out, what if when we die we're still conscious but don't go anywhere (heaven, hell), and we can't move or anything? Ridiculous I know but I wasn't exactly in a sober state of mind when I thought it up

Sh1tened the fright out of myself with that thought last Friday on the bus into work. Needless to say, I was great feckin' company that night at the pub...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Not sure
    If you're dead for infinity, would that basically mean that it would come round full circle to the point of you existing but dead at the same time? Like anything can happen given an infinite amount of time as with with monkeys writing shakespeare? I dunno.

I don't agree with Wilde's interpretation. You may not have been around for 13 billion years but you're existing now and for that to be taken away is worse as you have something to lose whereas beforehand you had nothing to lose because you didn't exist.

That was hugely confusing, come again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Not sure
    I dont belive in a god or heaven.

I dont understand how anyone could follow someone who is such a **** like the way god is because he does bad things and he also lies to his followers so i dont get it, to me religion is made up bollox to help weak minded fools deal with there own mortality.

There are people who if they knew for 100% there was nothing after they might do some bad things in the now or maybe lose all hope and let themselves die from starvation/thurst because they dont have the will to live on.

Morons

• Advertisement

Not sure
    Well this thread certainly seems to contradict what the census tells us...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    That was hugely confusing, come again...

Say a person dies and they basically will never exist again, thats for infinity. And given an infinite amount of time anything can happen because anything can happen without any time limit through probability. So they would exist again? Or is it full circle (don't think this is permitted to happen), like a loop so they eventually come to the point where they were born but in their dead state, so they would never have existed, like a memory erase/deletion from the universe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Not sure
    MrJoeSoap wrote:

What are the stats from the census? I can't find anything about religion on http://www.cso.ie/census/Census2006Results.htm

Not sure
    What are the stats from the census? I can't find anything about religion on http://www.cso.ie/census/Census2006Results.htm
    According to this, on page 85, there are 3,681,446 Catholics alone... and 929 Atheists!

http://www.cso.ie/census/documents/Final%20Principal%20Demographic%20Results%202006.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Not sure
    User45701 wrote:

I dont understand how anyone could follow someone who is such a **** like the way god is because he does bad things and he also lies to his followers so i dont get it, to me religion is made up bollox to help weak minded fools deal with there own mortality.

There are people who if they knew for 100% there was nothing after they might do some bad things in the now or maybe lose all hope and let themselves die from starvation/thurst because they dont have the will to live on.

Morons
    I don't subscribe to that point of view.

I actually find that highly insulting to religious people (not the zealots, because they are ****ing lunatics. Just your average run of the mill person who believes in god).

Your assumption that they are all morons and weak minded is about as ridiculous as the view held by estebancambibas regarding aethiests, as retarded as that arguement itself is.
    In fact, your view there sums up his arguement.

To class all religious people as morons is extremely stupid.

If someone finds comfort in religion, who are we to judge them?
    It's their way of life and it is how they choose to live it.

You're not big and clever by slamming the religious beliefs of others.
    It might seem like that when you're 14, but as an adult, it's just really pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Not sure
    The way I see it there has to be a Heaven........

..........................This is because there must be a Hell...........

- 'Cause if there isn't a place called Hell then where are we going to store the Religious Freaks who ran the Magdalene Laundries, persecuted the innocent, preached acidic holy nonsense weekly, leeched money from the poor and the hungry to build churches and marble alters & to buy holy purple bat-costumes and stupid looking maroon hats, invented the 14 child family so that they could all then starve together, abused our children and any unfortunate individuals who were defenseless enough to escape their evil and are currently busily propagating the spread of HIV/AIDS through preaching from a pulpit of religious madness and catastrophic stupidity.

- Heaven would be a place where people sated their religious urges by treating all others with respect and decency and saw to it that each individual was afforded dignity and access to their basic rights and needs. The path to this place doesn't cross the threshold of a 70 year old homophobic, misogynistic, stunted little man in a purple dress who took a vow to never get laid, is always on the take & can't sleep at night because people on another Continent might slap a condom on for family planning or to avoid the plague of STD :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

User45701 wrote:

So you don't believe in God, but somehow you do believe that he does bad things and lies to people, even though he doesn't exist?

I'm also of the firm belief that anything touted by a religion as "fact" is a big pile of made up bollox, but anything touted by a religion as a reasonable theory or a way of life is fine by me.

The only reason why we have any form of religious friction is because religions refuse to accept that their beliefs are possible theories, not fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Take into account that internet forums (and the internet in general) attract a certain type of person though, whereas everyone had to take the census. So this doesn't really represent the general opinion as well as that did.

Not sure
    User45701 wrote:

Morons

You dont believe in a god but yet you say that gods "such a ****"
    What do you mean by that?

And the part about people dying from thirst starvation already happens and has nothign to do with a belief in the existance or non as the case may be of a god

Not sure
    indough wrote:
    Take into account that internet forums (and the internet in general) attract a certain type of person though, whereas everyone had to take the census. So this doesn't really represent the general opinion as well as that did.

also most people who have been baptised cummonied and confirmed like the majority of irish people would consider themselves politically catholic but come to religious believes we certainly do not adhere but that is not reflected in the census

I know I was registered as a catholic on the census but it would not be my religious view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

indough wrote:
    Well there's also a certain amount of guilt and invalid census forms submitted.

When a form comes into a household, the Mammy (or Daddy) just fills in all the information. So even though they may have four kids living under the roof who haven't been to a mass in 10 years, they still get marked down as "Roman Catholic". Many people will also write "Roman Catholic" because they don't have the balls not to. My gf gave out to me for writing "None".
    Anecdotal evidence suggests that most people I know would say, "Nah I'm not really religious at all", but still write "Roman Catholic" in a box marked "Religion".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Not sure
    no i dont believe in heaven

i believe that when you die, you are dead. and therefore you have no memory capacity, which means that everything you did for your entire life, will have failed to have ever happened, and you will cease to have ever existed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Not sure
    Rob_l wrote:
    also most people who have been baptised cummonied and confirmed like the majority of irish people would consider themselves politically catholic but come to religious believes we certainly do not adhere but that is not reflected in the census

I know I was registered as a catholic on the census but it would not be my religious view

yeah i put down that i am catholic, goto to weddings, funerals, and christenings

but i'm only going for the sake of the people involved.

its all a load of nonsense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

seamus wrote:
    Anecdotal evidence suggests that most people I know would say, "Nah I'm not really religious at all", but still write "Roman Catholic" in a box marked "Religion".

A great deal of people who do this don't really mean it either though. The people who've never actually thought about the question of God's existence, but when asked say no. I don't really consider that a definite no.

Not sure
    indough wrote:

I did/have taken that into consideration but the census reckons there are 929 Atheists in Ireland, I reckon I know about 40 of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not sure
    Don't believe in Heaven.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Not sure
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I did/have taken that into consideration but the census reckons there are 929 Atheists in Ireland, I reckon I know about 40 of them.
    I know more than 929 atheists from connaught... :)

Not sure
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I know more than 929 atheists from connaught... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Not sure
    Rob_l wrote:
    also most people who have been baptised cummonied and confirmed like the majority of irish people<SNIP>

Well when I was baptised I was too small, bald, and toothless to fight back - I got confirmed mainly as it seemed to be an excellent money making opportunity.... But if I've been "cummonied" [???] then fcuk that, the only avenue left open to me is litigation :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Not sure
    I don't believe in heaven (or hell) or God for that matter.

Interestingly the Greeks believed in a whole load of different gods a few thousand years ago, but now thats dismissed as a load of rubbish. I reckon in a few years a most of the major religions will have been universally rejected.

Not sure
    Raiser wrote:
    Well when I was baptised I was too small, bald, and toothless to fight back - I got confirmed mainly as it seemed to be an excellent money making opportunity.... But if I've been "cummonied" [???] then fcuk that, the only avenue left open to me is litigation :D

someone swapped the "o"s and "u"s on my keyboard the backstards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I don't believe in heaven (or hell) or God for that matter.

Interestingly the Greeks believed in a whole load of different gods a few thousand years ago, but now thats dismissed as a load of rubbish. I reckon in a few years a most of the major religions will have been universally rejected.

I don't see islam being universally rejected any time soon, muslims especially in muslim countries seem to take that sh!t seriously... and as long as there are empoverished uneducated people there will be religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Not sure
    indough wrote:
    A great deal of people who do this don't really mean it either though. The people who've never actually thought about the question of God's existence, but when asked say no. I don't really consider that a definite no.
    I see where you're coming from, but I honestly don't believe there are any people at all (or at least any adults without severe mental disabilities) in this country who have never thought about God's existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

#Heaven
    Heaven is a place
    A place where nothing
    Nothing ever happens#

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Not sure
    Rob_l wrote:
    "There are no atheists in foxholes"

as James Morrow said:
    "'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn’t an argument against atheism, it’s an argument against foxholes."

And no, i don't believe in heaven or hell or anything like that. This is all we have and the important thing is to live your life as best you can and not waste time hoping to go to a magic fairyland that doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Not sure
    The atheists in foxholes argument is such nonsense... It says that if you're scared and think you could die, then you'll turn religious. No sh*t!

Now someone tell me how exactly that has any bearing on whether god exists or not?

It doesn't -- fact is, it's more of an argument against religion, and gives another reason why it is a man-made invention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

Not sure
    nope and if any priests are on this website i never listened at mass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

No
    I think it depends on what kind ofperson you are- but it's niceto think that we getto spend time with our friends and loved ones when we all pass on. Nobody can prove it either way, but I don't think heaven or hell are literal places, I think they are figurative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Not sure
    Believe in Heaven?

No of course not.

Not sure
    I think it depends on what kind ofperson you are- but it's niceto think that we getto spend time with our friends and loved ones when we all pass on. Nobody can prove it either way, but I don't think heaven or hell are literal places, I think they are figurative.
    Surely the emphasis should be on the people who believe in it to prove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Not sure
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Surely the emphasis should be on the people who believe in it to prove it.

No because you must have faith and not need any proof, how convenient :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Elessar

*mocks religion* HURRRRR

thread over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I am a bit of of an agnostic, but I can see the logic in the non-existence of an afterlife.
    As for heaven, I don't believe in it as portrayed by the bible etc.

*non existence
    >birth
    >living
    >non existence*

Everything that has a beginning must have an end.
    Who knows?, I would like to believe an afterlife exists...but I am skeptical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Not sure
    don't believe in heaven, the poll results don't reflect general society though, most people believe in heaven, I guess most internet using youngsters don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

No
    each to their own, some of us believe, some of us don't. whatever works for you. I'm an a la carte catholic. if it was fire and brimstone for certain thins (sechs befoe marriage) then it's off to hell with me.

but I reckon if you're a good person,theres a deadly party (like the cocain and hooker ones) on the other side waiting for ya

• Advertisement
Advertisement