Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugept 406 HDI problem - any Idea what it might be?

Options
  • 20-09-2007 7:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I drive a 2002 Peugeot 406 HDI. This morning on my work the motor seemed to loose power (cut out) for a second while driving around 70 mph, but then appeared to recover instantly. Afterwards I drove carefully and all seemed fine again.

But then about 15 miles later once more it seemed not to have enough power/get enough fuel when I went over 2.5K rpm. I made it to work without any further problems, parked and switched off the motor. But now the car doesn't start anymore.

Any suggstion what the problem might be? I believe it might be that the fuel pump has given up.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
    DSAB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

not to knock anyones inpurt here but id defo recommend this site for answers
    Very good

http://www.406oc.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

Sounds like you have a fuel problem. Most likely its the fuel high pressure pump. You will need to get it checked out with a ecu diagnostic equipment.

Any warning lights on the dash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

No warning lights have come on at all ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Could be a dodgy EGR valve or even a dodgy turbocharger - both of which are common items to fail on a Peugeot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Something similar happend to my old 1.2 Astra. I limped some 7 miles to the nearest Opel garage on what they call "safe mode". It wouldn't budge over a certain revs and thus not go over 40mph. In my case some **** and grit and got into some fuel sensors and ballsed up the engine computer.

Anyway they fixed in in no-time and I was away again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

This happened intermittently enough on my 00 406 hdi. The problem is more than likely a little module that regulates the flow of fuel. It's a while ago so I can't remember the exact name of it unfortunately. Call in to Peugeot and get them to read it. Problem should show up.

My issue was that the problem was inconsistent and didn't always show up on the computer. They thought it was the injectors (which sometimes it can be) and once you take them off, Peuegot will always fit new injectors and of course charge you for them. Hures. Anyway, this fuel pump module is more than likely the problem.

But go get the ECU read and you'll find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macpete

I had the same problem with a oo 406 hdi a few years ago, and it was the fuel pump in the diesel tank, a fault in all hdi 406 with about 90,000 to 110,000 miles. Very easy to replace, remove the back seat you will see a round plate with about 6 pop rivits drill them out remove plate and you will see fuel pump, disconect the wires and remove pump and replace with new one [about 230+vat I think] re do wires replace plate with a few small self tappers, refit seat and away you go. That is what i done and never looked back , did a futher 18,000 mls and sold it on, was a great car 110bhp. hope this helps you.
    regards macpete;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Just to finish up this one. I got a Peugeot Dealer to pick the car up and it took them quite a while to find the problem.

The problem in the end was quite major. The fanbelt shredded and in the process damaged the Timingbelt cover and then got caught in the timingbelt to add further damage.

Fortunately (and quite surprisingly) the motor was not damaged.

In the end it needed a new Timing Belt, Fanbelt, Waterpump, Crankshaft Pull, Camshaft Gear, Tensioner, a new sensor etc.

All in all a 1200 Euro job. :eek: The only problem is that it takes ages to get parts in Ireland. They only received the parts from france after almost a week. in the UK this would have taken 24 hours, 48 max. All in all it took almost 2 weeks to get fixed.

Hope it will now last for the next 50K miles, at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

good to hear. timing belt going and still having an engine is pretty lucky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Have 96 406 TD 191,000 Mls ,plan to run it into the ground or Scrapyard if its still driving, passed nct last month no problems.its a bit smokie @ around 3000 revs,bought the Car with 80,000 mls did all the servicing myself except a timming belt kit in Aug ,Replaced brakediscs and pads +new fluid @ 100k, antiroll bushes @ 110 k,replaced left wishbone bush@170k,replaced Rad @187k,Put around 5 drop links (@20euro each)on the back axle since 80k,other than that it was semi-syn oil+filter @ 8k and fuel filter@16k. can not say a bad word about it (((Sorry))) the Battery short circuited @ 160k which let me down.Lucky i had a power pack in the boot for a digger i had at the time.
    The pug 406 td (1905 92bhp) has been replaced by the 90 bhp + 110 bhp in 1999 HDI,The HDI had lift pump problems in the early stages but i though the had them sorted out by 02.Other than that the only problem with the Hdis more so on Citroen zaras(excuse spelling) the lower crankshaft pulley can wear at around 100k (a steel pulley with a rubber insert (for vibration)and steel again (rubber weakens in between steel and steel and pulley needs replacement)

If anyone knows anymore problems with the 406 HDI's please let me know??
    as i intend to buy 02-03 110bhp
    next time round (or should go for the 407 1.6 HDI?)
    (depends on what life is left in the 11 year old 406).
    Regards Row

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Sorry Dubdani to hear about your misfortune,stick with her!!

Advertisement