Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

? Special plasterboards to go around shower walls

Options
  • 20-09-2007 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi.

Have been asked by carpenter if i will put WBP ply up around my shower walls & rest of ensuites instead of the standard plasterboard.
    he mentioned about this WBP ply being stronger and supporting tiles and any items that are then hung on tiles ( mirrors, shower units etc).

Is it common to use the waterproof boards instead of standard plasterboard?
    Do you need to do anything special with these boards? are the skimmed or tile straight onto them?

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Limerickbuild.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,154 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This would generate more replies in the DIY forum.

Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can use the new concrete boards or possibly the green waterproof plasterboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hi.

Have been asked by carpenter if i will put WBP ply up around my shower walls & rest of ensuites instead of the standard plasterboard.
    he mentioned about this WBP ply being stronger and supporting tiles and any items that are then hung on tiles ( mirrors, shower units etc).

Is it common to use the waterproof boards instead of standard plasterboard?
    Do you need to do anything special with these boards? are the skimmed or tile straight onto them?

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Limerickbuild.

I have seen it but never tiled on it , it is a good tiling surface if its only a few quid more I would do it.

Failing that be sure to use a decent adhesive and waterproof grout and normal board should be fine.

The other option is "tanking" it basically is like a complete waterproof seal it costs about 100 quid. The tiles are laid on that then and nothing gets through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

normally its the "green boards" you use in bathrooms/shower areas...

it's better not to skim the boards but tile directly to the board it's a better job

what type of finish is on the WPB Ply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 karla33

WBP is a better job than plasterboard waterproof or not. Be sure to use 18mm if you plan on using large or heavy tiles. You can also waterproof standard plasterboard with polybond.. 2 coats would do the trick! If it was me, I would go with the plywood. ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

De_man wrote:
    normally its the "green boards" you use in bathrooms/shower areas...

it's better not to skim the boards but tile directly to the board it's a better job

what type of finish is on the WPB Ply?
    There isn't an additional finish on the WBP, its finished just like standard plywood. Its the waterproof glue that makes it suitable for wet conditions. Marine ply is better quaility again.

Mellor wrote:
    There isn't an additional finish on the WBP, its finished just like standard plywood. Its the waterproof glue that makes it suitable for wet conditions. Marine ply is better quaility again.

Thanks for that mellor....pity i didn't think about the marine ply...i forgot all about it...i'm stuck with the green plasterboard in one ensuite the rest are constructed with block

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

karla33 wrote:
    You can also waterproof standard plasterboard with polybond..
    AFAIK Polybond isn't waterproof. In a constantly wet environment it'll eventually dissolve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

stevec wrote:
    AFAIK Polybond isn't waterproof. In a constantly wet environment it'll eventually dissolve.

Correct but for most well tiled and well grouted showers the enviro is dry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Originally Posted by karla33
    You can also waterproof standard plasterboard with polybond

Polybond is not for waterproofing! ever..

Polybond is a surface primer.

In this case you need an sbr primer.

• Advertisement

snyper wrote:
    In this case you need an sbr primer.

hi snyper sbr primer what that? do u reckon i should prime the green plasterboard before tiling?

tnx in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

SBR Bond is a latex based, water resistant bonding agent and admixture for use in areas subject to humidity, dampness and continuous water contact. Improves water resistance of cement mixtures by forming a reinforcing polymer that increases long term durability and flexibility of the mix on renderings and floor screeds

render_image.php?image=SBR5L.jpg&width=200

Its a pretty generic product available in all tile shops.

If you get the proper showerproof tile adhesive i would follow their recommendations wheather required or not. Its def req if you tile on WBP with the powder tile adh and on underfloor systems.

tks snyper

Advertisement