Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista, is it a good deal?

• 20-09-2007 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Ok question actually relates to 2 points.

Built a new system over the weekend and am currently running the oem winxp I bought with the machine I built a few years back so got 30 days to install a new OS before it locks me out.

So toss up between buying a second WinXp OS or going with Vista. I've been offered a retail unopened Vista Premium 32bit pack for 90 euro so firstly I'm wondering is this a good deal. Don't know the guy who's selling it but as his machine came with Vista pre installed he says he doesn't need it.

Second question, Windows Vista itself, how good is it? Is it worth getting over WinXp, what about driver issues etc. The machine I've just built is with games especially in mind so will I get a drop in framerates or is that all sorted now?

Lastly, is there much of a difference between the 32bit and 64bit, Premium and Ultimate? Would it cost a lot to upgrade to Premium or Ultimate 64bit?

By the way the new system has a bfg 680i mobo, 8800gts 640MB, Q6600 with 2GB Geil black dragon PC6400C4 800MHz Black Dragon DDR2 so shouldn't have any problems (I think) running Vista.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Don't know the guy who's selling it but as his machine came with Vista pre installed he says he doesn't need it.

Assuming that copy came with his machine then that would be illegal , the copy he got is used even though its unopened , box makers like to install from images but the serial is still used , so if you both try to get updates with that copy you will both be kicked off the list by WGA.
    That copy he has is his backup supplied by the system maker and should not be used by anyone else.

If you want a legal copy , genuine unused OEM's ones are available online for the same price.

Vista should be fine on your machine , Ive been running it since march on a much lower spec and while it had its problems in the beginning they are all pretty much fixed now. I dont have one outstanding problem. Im on my third run through Bioshock and its as stable and smooth as it gets and thats only on a 7800GTS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

mathias wrote:
    That would be illegal , the copy he got is used even though its unopened , box makers like to install from images but the serial is still used , so if you both try to get updates with that copy you will both be kicked off the list by WGA.

/edit just noticed on your post you say if it came with the machine. No it didn't, it's a retail version he had already bought. I know selling a copy you already have on your machine would be illegal!

anyway that is getting away from the main point of the questions and going way off topic.

You said I could get an oem for the same price, on Komplett including postage it would be 32 euro more, overclockers 21 euro more so from that it would seem a good deal.

All legalities aside, and maybe I should have had a seperate post for these, the following 2 questions were the ones I'd be more interested in having answered.

As in is there performance hits?
    Is there a big difference between 32 & 64bit, between Premium and Ultimate?

If the answer to the first is no, great. If the answer to the second is yes, then I'd go 64bit.

Not sure if Ultimate would be worth the extra though for home use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

64 bit will give you more performance, but you want to make sure there are drivers available for all of your hardware. XP 64 bit has been out for 3 years (?) now but some manufacturers still couldn't be bothered writing x64 drivers.

You probably wouldn't notice a huge difference between a 32 and 64 bit OS, but there is a performance boost. Certainly you'd see a much bigger performance jump by upgrading to a faster hard disk.

Afaik, the difference between premium and ultimate is functionality, not performance. See the details here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/footnotes.mspx

If you're buying a retail copy of an OS, then my advice would be to future-proof yourself as much as possible. If you have 64 bit drivers for your hardware, then buy the 64 bit version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

cool, that's what I was thinking. I'll check the drivers on all the my hardware and read up tonight on the differences between Premium and Ultimate.

cheers

Advertisement