Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting Sky+ to Amp

• 20-09-2007 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

I will need to connect Sky+ to my (soon to be arriving) Onkyo 605 Amp (Amp Manual for Ref:http://63.148.251.135/redirect_service.cfm?type=own_manuals&file=TXSR605_En_web_.pdf)

What would be the best approach:

SOUND
    - Digital Optical only or also Phono

PICTURE
    - S-Video to Amp, or
    - Scart to TV, or
    - Scart to AMP with adapter

Appreciate your inputs.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

run optical only to amp. run scart set to rgb out direct to tv, assuming rgb inputs on tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Your amp only does HDMI switching so SCART direct to TV making sure its in RGB mode via the sky+ menu and use the optical to the amp.
    You may also need to setup the optical output to DD5.1 in the settings menu too
    Afterall SKY+ offers 5.1 Dolby Digital and phono wont offer that ;)

Spankeh wrote:
    Your amp only does HDMI switching so SCART direct to TV making sure its in RGB mode via the sky+ menu and use the optical to the amp.
    You may also need to setup the optical output to DD5.1 in the settings menu too
    Afterall SKY+ offers 5.1 Dolby Digital and phono wont offer that ;)

didn't i say that?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Attached is a page for my TV manual - LG 42PX5D, showing the back panel. (Sorry about the quality)

Does that change any of your suggestions?

Thanks again ! :)

simply, no.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks, my main confusion was also whether I should be using HDMI somehwere in here or not, which appears not to be the case.

Guess this is my excuse now why I need Sky HD ! ;)

Cheers....

Another question why could I also not just connect S-Video from Sky+ to AMP, and then S-Video from AMP to TV, any reason ?

Thanks again.

scart rgb is a better picture than s-video, that'swhy. To be honest, it sounds like you don't like the idea of not feedinf the video through your amp. we recommended what would give the best picture, but it's up to you what way you do it, ig going through amp is worth sacrificing picture quality, it'll work too

No its not that I don't like the idea of scart to TV, I was just looking to understand the pros and cons. Am really new to a decent set-up and using separates, so need advice off the more experienced such as yourself.

All feedback is valued, believe me.

Thanks for responding, scart to TV it is. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Hi lads, kinda on topic here. The standard Sky box provided dolby on the first 3 Sky Movies channels. Does the Sky + provide 5.1 on all channels or just a select few like the original box. Thanks.

ZEN

• Advertisement

only the same few, it needs the original program to be encoded in 5.1 to be able to do it, which pretty much limits it to movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Thanks mossym, when you say Movies only - is it all movie channels ? (assuming the movies have all been encoded.)

Thanks again.

ZEN

whatever you picked up as 5.1 on your original box is the same you'll get on a sky+ box. The broadcast is the same, and all the box is doing is breaking out the audio stream from the incoming signal. If it's DD it'll put out the DD stream, if not the stereo stream. You shouldn't get any more 5.1 programts on a sky+ box than a normal box

Advertisement