Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pheasents

Options
  • 20-09-2007 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

has anybody bought any pheasents for the season coming or raised many birds?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I released the last of mine two weeks ago reared 80 this year and all survived
    for a change.I bought them at 10 weeks old this year which made a big difference as they were hardy when i got them .I only released cocks this year as the place is over run with hens so should be some good shootin coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

First year rearing birds, bought them at 10 weeks old.. lost a few early on from coxy but managed to release about 95 this year.. mixture of cocks and hens..

Plenty of birds about but on a negitive side only came arcoss 4 wild broods this year normally see about 10 or so..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i dont think there are too many wild broods this year. saw a few on the side of the road on monday on the way home from work and saw the same hen dead after being hit by a car that tuesday morning. dont think the weather this summer helped them either.

Ya they were scarce alright ive seen a few broods lately but i cant see them
    making it this late in the year.Im in the process of trying to train a pointer pup for the new season she's after catching several young ones over the last month or so.

im really looking forward to the season this year. unforunatly i still dont have a dog, i just dont have the room so i dont, hence why i invested in ferrets so i wont get too bored this season because i dont want to be relying on others to hunt with.
    how the pointer doing?
    next year im definitly getting a dog i should have the space then. iv decided against training one im gonna head over to england or walses with a thousand pound in my pocket and buy a good trained two year old springer.

• Advertisement

I have to say the pointer is flyin it only 7 months old but starting to set already .No prob with noise either i brought her to a couple of clay shoots and walked her around it didn't seem to bother her at all.
    I have a springer aswell but they are nuts to work with you would want to be linford christie to keep up with her .
    If i could get the pointer retrieving now i would be sorted.

have you tried any of the duck dummies for retreiving? supposed to be great.

No just a standard 1lb dummy and a tennis ball.
    She will bring back the tennis ball but only if she thinks the jack russell is goin to get it first.
    She has no interest in the dummy i might try sticking some duck wings on it and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ShowAndGo

Have you come across this foxhunter, it may help.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=2870

Ill have a go at that and see what happens .
    I think lots of patience is required for a start fingers crossed it will work.

Cheers for the link

• Advertisement
Advertisement