Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Slow drivers. Hogging the road

Options
  • 20-09-2007 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi,
    I do high mileage and regularly drive in Connaught, particularly the Galway-Dublin road.

Can anybody tell me why people here drive at 80kmph???

Small Print

(Before some of you start, I am not advocating speeding, I am not a boy racer, and have had my NCD for 9 years. I am also aware that there is a problem with inappropriate signage, but all 100kmph zones on this route are appropriate.)

I am of the opinion that given the number of cars on the roads these days that people have a moral obligation, for the sake of all road users, to use roads as efficiently as possible. i.e keep it feckin moving!!!

This means (so long as it is safe to do so) driving at the speed limit for a given road.

There are relatively few places to overtake on this route, and given the numbers of vehicles coming against you, it is often impossible to overtake for the duration of the journey.

If you are incapable, or unwilling to drive at 100kmph on a main arterial road then you should hand back your license.

Roll on the Galway-Athlone dualcarriageway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

1. Agreed

2. *Waits for the "It's a limit not a target" brigade to start posting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

You do know the old Dublin-Galway road from the Kilcock turn off to Kilbeggan has an 80kmh limit?.. to persuade people to use the tolled road...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I totally agree but I suggest you put your flak jacket on - some of the drive slow and save lives crew will be along shortly to lambast you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You can fit more cars per hour down a given stretch of road at 80km/h than at 100. That said, I do sympathise with the OP's point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Drive slow and save lives. It's a limit not a target! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Anan1 wrote:
    You can fit more cars per hour down a given stretch of road at 80km/h than at 100. That said, I do sympathise with the OP's point.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

Blue850 wrote:
    You do know the old Dublin-Galway road from the Kilcock turn off to Kilbeggan has an 80kmh limit?.. to persuade people to use the tolled road...

I know its crazy, a year ago it was packed and fit for 100kph
    now its empty and only fir for 80kph?

thing I hate when caught behind some of uncle gaybos 80kph brigade, is feckers tailgating me, and trying to overtake in some of the most ludacris places and conditions. for some strange reason they are nearly always driving either a Silver Passat or A4 with TDi badges...........

R.O.R wrote:
    :confused:
    If you double the speed of the cars, you have to more than double the distance between them. The result is fewer cars per hour going down the road. I wouldn't have thought of it myself either.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

Jees man, you think folk shouldn't be allowed do 80kmph in a 100kmph zone? There are plenty of nervous and timid drivers out there with just as much right to be on the road as you. Cut them some slack, what are you going to lose, 10 minutes?

Also, without the aid of cruise control it's a lot more difficult to keep your speed close to 100 without going over, much easier if you hang back a bit.

Dwilly wrote:
    Jees man, you think folk shouldn't be allowed do 80kmph in a 100kmph zone? There are plenty of nervous and timid drivers out there with just as much right to be on the road as you.

If you an incapable of keeping to the limit you should pull in to let those who can or get the f**k off the road!

I have to say the road markings don't help - most of that particular road has continuous white lines even on the good stretches now - "SAFETY" my hole

• Advertisement

I have to agree with Dwilly. Would you give people a break for feckssake! Others are entitled to use the road and how many minutes of your life have you lost by being stuck behind a driver doing 80 in a 100 zone? Get a grip. There are many much more important things in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Fu(k them, they should pull in. I'm going fast because I'm in a rush. You're going slow because your not. So use your bloody manners and let me past.

People are ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GoalsGoneWild

point is that people should have the ability/presence of mind to understand that if they choose to do 80kmh in a 100kmh zone, they should be aware of other drivers around them and try - where possible and safe to do so - allow those drivers the opportunity to go past.

the attitude of 'it's not a target, i have a right to be here' is somewhat smallminded, no? you do have every right to be there, but just because you choose not to drive at the legal limit, you don't have any right to stop people who want to drive at that speed from doing so.

my 2c...

I don't really have a problem with folk doing 80 in the 100 - but when its a main artery (Dublin - Galway etc) and they decide to stay in the middle of the road at 80 rather than pull over then they should get a good feckin bollickin.

Problem in Ireland is the people who do listen to the stupid "Slow Down" mantra are the ones driving feckin slow in the first place and then they start to slow down further !

Anan1 wrote:
    If you double the speed of the cars, you have to more than double the distance between them. The result is fewer cars per hour going down the road. I wouldn't have thought of it myself either.;)

While that would actually ring true in vast parts of the developed world, safe distance between cars at speed isn't really something that's caught on here. e.g On the M1 northbound last night, there were 8 or 9 cars with probably a cars length between each. Total distance from front to back was probably safe for 2 (maybe 3 at a push) at the speed everyone was travelling, 110km ish.

I was thinking the same thing myself.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Dwilly wrote:
    There are plenty of nervous and timid drivers out there with just as much right to be on the road as you. .

They should get sufficient driving lessons that they become competent drivers. For their own good as well as everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Out of interest, what's the general profile of these drivers?
    Are they driving 1l-1.2l cars? I suppse all cars are capable of 100km but maybe the drivers are timid and not very confident.

Also, I've a 125cc motorcycle and while I can do 80km in 100km/ph zone I sure can't do more 100-105 km/ph in 120km/ph zone.
    So does that me a fool if you pass me on the M4 motorway and I'm not doing 120km/ph for instance? :confused:

Relax anyway, people are too wound up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

the people going below the speed limit does bother me. for instance, if you drive at about 7pm on the M50 southB. you will be going past tallaght at 80km/h where the limit is 100km/h. then you keep driving and hit the 120km/h part of the road and people speed up - but they still only go 100!?!?!?!

I dont understand!?! why speed up but not go the speed limit?

Zulu wrote:
    Fu(k them, they should pull in. I'm going fast because I'm in a rush. You're going slow because your not. So use your bloody manners and let me past.

People are ignorant.

Aren't you just!

What hope is there for us with such narrowminded rage on our roads?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Anan1 wrote:
    Utter crap.

Given an average 5m long car and 2 second gap between them
    100km/h = 1651 cars/hour
    80km/h = 1618 cars/hour

Did you even think about what you posted? can you do basic maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

point is that people should have the ability/presence of mind to understand that if they choose to do 80kmh in a 100kmh zone, they should be aware of other drivers around them and try - where possible and safe to do so - allow those drivers the opportunity to go past.

the attitude of 'it's not a target, i have a right to be here' is somewhat smallminded, no? you do have every right to be there, but just because you choose not to drive at the legal limit, you don't have any right to stop people who want to drive at that speed from doing so.

Totally agree with the above post.

However, (and this happens a lot) what about the situations where people driving at 100km/h and making good progress are being bullied (ie. tailgated, lights flashed at, etc..) into pulling in to allow speeders to get by.
    Should someone who is driving at the limit be expected to aid those who want to drive faster??

stevec wrote:
    Did you even think about what you posted? can you do basic maths?

It would appear he can do higher level maths, and more importantly stevec - English (as in reading the whole thread with the explanation - try it, might save you looking like a tool).

micmclo wrote:
    So does that me a fool if you pass me on the M4 motorway and I'm not doing 120km/ph for instance? :confused:
    Not at all so long as you have the good manners to pull in (where possible) and let someone past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Here's another thing. Try overtaking in a 64bhp Polo Diesel on that road :)

Aren't you just!
    There's no need to call me ignorant,. Getting personal only weakens your argument. And actually no, I'm not. I'm quite the considerate driver. I'll always let someone by where I can.
    What hope is there for us with such narrowminded rage on our roads?
    I'm sorry, are you suggesting I have "narrowminded rage"? :rolleyes: But in a way you are right, there is very little hope for us. We live in a country were people get in their cars, a leave their manner behind. Drivers in this country will not let another driver past, pull out, merge lanes, overtake on the motorway... the list goes on.

Zulu wrote:
    There's no need to call me ignorant,. Getting personal only weakens your argument.

You are the very one who referred to anybody driving at below the speed limit as ignorant if they don't get out of your way. You are the one showing total ignorance of what others may have been dealt. It may well be a nervious disposition (not totally unexpected when we seen the tailgating, flashing lights etc of some drivers), it may be because the car can't go any further, it may be that they know the road is unsafe at greater speed despite what your opinion is, there could be a fragile cargo on the back seat, it could be many things.
    Read your own post before getting on your high horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

If more people took a chill pill and relaxed a bit we wouldnt have so many accidents.

Speed limit is not a target and all this doesnt make any sense.

If theres a guy in front of you driving at 80, why lose the head ? Its not going to change anything.

Relax and wait for a safe time to overtake. If they drive slowly then thats their problem, unfortunately is beyond your control to change it.

Also, its your average speed that makes the difference, you realise this from driving alot.

You never know, the guy thats doing 80 kph on a strech of road could actually have a similar average speed to yours and get there about 10 - 15 mins after you on a 320km journey,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

the attitude of 'it's not a target, i have a right to be here' is somewhat smallminded, no?

But it's jsut as small minded as the attitude "It is a target and I have a right to be here", or for some on these roads "It is a target and I have more of a right to be here." :p Everyone just needs to relax, drive at their own pace and if anyone wants to pass, let them. Me, I just enjoy the ride.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

If people want to drive slow, fine, but have the manners and consideration to pull over or make room to allow people to pass you out. I have overtaken people that drive well below the limit only to have them speed up my arse further on down the road! Also older drivers etc, people are saying give them a break, grand but if they do not have the ability to either make decent progress on the road or pull over to allow others to pass. Saying its only 10 minutes one would save is irrelevant, its highly fustrating to be stuck behind a slow driver! It comes down to consideration for other users at the end of the day. I drove a lot in the U.S. over the summer and people are flashed or beeped off the road if they hold people up on the highway!:D

Advertisement