Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Slow drivers. Hogging the road

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

stevec wrote:
    Yeah - true for the middle bit all right.
    Say you're driving Wexford-Dublin and wanting to go to Tallaght - at around 17:00 the queue for the toll bridge grows very rapidly form starting at Tallaght/Ballymount to starting at Sandyford/Ballinteer (maybe 4 or 5km difference). This is where the lost 10mins would gain you a lot.
    Not the only example - it's the same around Limerick. If you want to go from Shannon / Bunratty side to Dublin, 10mins could mean an extra 40 getting through the city.

Solution leave 10 mins earlier. or better again 20mins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

BostonB wrote:
    Solution leave 10 mins earlier. or better again 20mins.
    Solution is may be but how do you explain to your boss / client / delivery scheduler / whoever - that you're leaving 20mins early and not finishing what you're supposed to do?
    Few motorists on national routes at peak times are on "pleasure cruises" and have that luxury.

stevec wrote:
    Solution is may be but how do you explain to your boss / client / delivery scheduler / whoever - that you're leaving 20mins early and not finishing what you're supposed to do?
    Few motorists on national routes at peak times are on "pleasure cruises" and have that luxury.

That makes no sense. First 10 mins is all important. Now 20 mins extra isn't enough. You can't win.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

BostonB wrote:
    That makes no sense. First 10 mins is all important. Now 20 mins extra isn't enough. You can't win.
    sorry, explain what you mean by that:confused:

You can't get held up by slow drivers because 10mins is critical to getting somewhere on time. So I say leave 10~20mins earlier. You say you still can't get there on time. But now you've got to account for 10~20mins extra time.

• Advertisement

It was posted that "shure 10 or 20 minutes can't make a difference", I pointed out that it can - and also pointed out that not everyone has the luxury of leaving earlier.
    What's wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think this is becoming a bit of a circular argument. People have a perfect right to drive at 80km/h in a 100 zone, provided they position themselves correctly - ie not hugging the centre line. It would be nice if they used the hard shoulder occasionally to let faster traffic by, but they are under no obligation to do so. I say this as someone who is happiest at 120-130 in 100km/h zones. Live and let live.

stevec wrote:
    It was posted that "shure 10 or 20 minutes can't make a difference", I pointed out that it can - and also pointed out that not everyone has the luxury of leaving earlier.
    What's wrong with that?

Bad time management causes people to rush and make mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

BostonB wrote:
    Bad time management causes people to rush and make mistakes.
    Not everyone has the luxury of being able to come and go and they please and take care of their own time managment. What stevec was trying to say is that us "normal" mortals that have to work for the man, or at least a man, do not alway have the ability to leave somewhere when we want to.

If, for example, I am on a customers site and contracted to be there until 1730hrs, I can't leave early so I can get to where I am going without getting frustrated by slow drivers holding me up.

Leaving 10 or 20 minutes early is a great concept and we thank you for it, but it really only works when you are heading to the beach on a sunny day and you knwo it is going to be busy.

MrP

Meh, pathetic excuses. Who isn't on a clock these days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

???

...got it off you chest?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

Mena wrote: »
    1. Agreed

2. *Waits for the "It's a limit not a target" brigade to start posting

Totally agree, people are weird on the road, its not speeding its driving at the allowed speed on a road to get to a place on time. Lets face it none of our speed limits now are fast by any means, and due to this we get back logs, traffic jams etc due to people who drive at less than the safe speed limit.
    The normal reply is well maybe you should leave earlier to get there, does not work if one has a number of appointments around the county, one runs late on one and your in a hurry.
    Then the person who is driving at 80 or even less is on the road and you are doing 120kph in a 12o kph zone he is the danger driving slow.
    Most countries have a minum and max speed limit, for a reason WHY DONT WE??
    90% of slow drivers are a danger to themself and others.
    for many reasons like stated above and forcing another driver to overtake him, and the ones who speed up when you do overtake.
    just annoyed and had my say

Advertisement