Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Plasma vs LCD

• 20-09-2007 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

Thinking of getting a big TV at the weekend. Would like a 50" but how far back do you need to sit away from a screen that big?

There'd be about 9.5 feet from the tv screen to the couch, is that big enough?

Also which is better, plasma or LCD or is it just personal preference?

Thanks, all help appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭conax

50" I would go with the Plasma.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

tinkerbell wrote:

neither is better, both have pluses/minuses, but at that size i'd look at panasonic plasma's. top grade stuff

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Pioneer are supposed to be very good too for plasma sets.

For a TV that size, I'd buy a set that is 1080p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

in 50", plasma.

pioneer or panasonic. panasonics are a lil bit cheaper, but no less in quality. still fantastic tv's. i have the panasonic 42" PV70.

and as regards 1080p if you can stretch the budget that far, go for it!

moe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

tinkerbell wrote:
    Hi everyone

Thinking of getting a big TV at the weekend. Would like a 50" but how far back do you need to sit away from a screen that big?

There'd be about 9.5 feet from the tv screen to the couch, is that big enough?

Thanks, all help appreciated :)

If your big into watching sports go for the 50" Plasma, I would go for Samsung myself cause I thik theyhave the best quality in picture and price. only downside is that the sound isn't the greatest without the use of a Home Theatre system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 brian guilfoyl

hi anybody know goodwebsites for buying lcd tv's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

-LCDs generally have higher res, lower power consumption, less heat and cheaper price, better availability, smaller size options and slimmer profile.
    -Plasmas have better sideways motion due to the completely different way they refresh the screen, no ghosting, better contrast (greys and blacks are richer, better depth) and better colours reproduction

If you can afford high res plasma, generally its better than the equiv LCD. Ive had both and been to many tradeshows where they specifically demo the stengths and weaknesses of each technology. Dont undersell the superior "refresh rate" of Plasmas, sideways panning is in virtually every movie, TV, sport, game at some point and they cream LCDs in that department. Although I have a 1080p LCD front projector right now, when 1080p 65" Plasmas become affordable Ill switch back.

There is a sizeable difference in quality between Pioneer/Panasonic and the cheapy brands (LG, Samsung), not to say the cheap ones are bad, but clearly not at the forefront of Plasma technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

If you intend watching SD material a lot on the screen then I'd be inclined to choose plasma...they seem to handle the lower resolution better and make it less jaggy, but at the same time they do great justice to an HD signal. However if you intend using the TV as a PC display, then LCD is the way to go (no screenburn issues, 1:1 pixel mapping, sharper image).

Whatever you decide upon, I wouldn't worry about the size....I've had my 42" for about 5 weeks now and it's starting to look small. I'm only about 8-10' away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Hi all,

Has anybody bought from DirectValue.ie?
    They seem to be the cheapest online for Panasonic Plasma - cheaper than Komplett.
    Thinking TH42PV70EY - Anybody know what the "EY" means? Have same model on Komplett as TH-42PV70

Thanks,
    Keith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

EY is the country specific code, in this case, the Irish code I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement