Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United -vs- Chelsea Sun 23 Sept

• 20-09-2007 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭

Chelsea fans are busy contemplating Mourinho's departure and us United fans are busy reflecting on yet another lacklustre away performance in Europe.

But what does everyone think of the game on Sunday?

I think the result will be totally irrelevant in deciding the outcome of the PL this season but I think United will win.

They're at home and should be confident after winning against both Everton and sporting despite playing badly. They will have a full stength first 11 (other than neville) if hargreaves makes his return. I expect a 4-4-2 with rooney and saha up front.

Chelsea on the other hand are after 2 bad results and I don't think the new guy will be able to lift the dressing room in time for Sunday, especially the senior players like Terry & Lampard who will be majorly pissed off and probably contemplating their futures already....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

By the physical footballing laws everyone writing off Chelsea already will almost certainly guarantee that they get a result on Sunday. i go for a draw.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Draw (accompanied by an Arsenal win) please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Chelsea to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Actually, it would be a typical football thing if Chelsea won, with all the surrounding turmoil.

But another 1-0 to United :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i'd love to see the stats . . . but it seems every time a manager leaves a club, they always win their next game, however unlikely it might be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

i'd love to see the stats . . . but it seems every time a manager leaves a club, they always win their next game, however unlikely it might be

That's true but IMHO this is a completely different situation. The owner of the club fired a very good manager who had the respect & support of the players and will replace him with a puppet, a token manager. I think the new fella will find it extremely difficult to win over the dressing room, especially in the short-term. Although hopefully he'll try to get them to play the attacking fluid style of footie RA wants them to play which could mean a great game to watch on Sunday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

1-0 utd....

but not from a forward. Scholes or Carrick etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

If either team do score i'd bank that it'll be as jammy as hell and that neither team will acutally deserve to win the bloody match- draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Boring meaningless draw.

Didny realise that United played Porto during the week?!!

Im gonna go with 1-0 to United!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm telling ya, there must be some reason for that, it happens a ****load. Either way, I've really no idea. Chelsea have been off-form much more than United lately, and without Drogba I think United's defense should be able to do well enough, although a bit of magic from any of their stars will sort that out. Either way, I think we might see United go at them, with Hargreaves and Scholes, and Rooney and Tevez up front, with Giggs on the wing, and Ronaldo on the other, with Saha coming on after 60 minutes. That team could beat Chelsea's defense, but I'm not sure. We'll see :)

If either team do score i'd bank that it'll be as jammy as hell and that neither team will acutally deserve to win the bloody match- draw
    Ur not a Liverpool fan by any chance are u? How can u possibly be predicting if either team will deserve the win?! Or if the goal will be jammy? Thats ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Might have something to do with having to impress a new man. Players often pull performances out of the bag when they're careers are at stake (eg. Giggs, Viduka for new contracts).

Its like everyone has a clean slate and wants to show what they can do for the new boss.

<Edit> Neil, Shatners probably thinking back to Fletchers winner and some of the turgid Utd V Chelsea games we've had over the past while. For a while Liverpool V Chelsea matches were the same, horrible affairs to watch.

PHB wrote:
    I'm telling ya, there must be some reason for that, it happens a ****load.
    Probably to do with players playin out of their skins to impress new manager so as not to lose place/gain a place in the team.

No, I don't mean why they play well, I mean the manager always seems to get fired before the United game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Ur not a Liverpool fan by any chance are u? How can u possibly be predicting if either team will deserve the win?! Or if the goal will be jammy? Thats ridiculous.

because more often than not, that's how the matches play out between these tow clubs. why is it ridiculous to think it will happen again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

If United can up thier game then i think we'll win 1-0. Otherwise it'll be another boring 0-0 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I expect to see a terrible game in which someone gets a scrappy goal (if there is a goal scored at all) to win. United haven't exactly been setting the world on fire and chelsea are one of the most boring teams to watch, and I doubt they'll have changed that in a couple of days.

I don't know, what if Ambrovomich really wants attacking football, and comes out with a line up like

Cech
    ---Ferreira----Terry---Ben Haim---Cole---
    Essien----Mikel
    ---SWP
    Joe Cole
    Malouda-
    Shevchenko

vs. a United line up like

VDS
    --Brown
    Ferdinand---Vidic
    Evra-
    -Ronaldo
    Hargreaves--Scholes
    Giggs-
    Rooney
    Tevez

Then we could have an absolutely cracking game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

id like to see sahs and rooney up front but fergie will prob persist with one striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

IF anything it will be Tevez and Rooney up front, I Can still see Giggs being a support striker but :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

They way Chelsea have being playing lately it has to be a united win. Don't care about the score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Going to this tomorrow and am hoping/expecting a 2-0 win to Utd.

As someone said already P Scholes first scorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Im flying out in a few hours for this. cant wait. hoping for a win by more than a goal. was at the same fixture last year adn I enjoyed it but a win would make it much sweeter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

PHB wrote:
    I don't know, what if Ambrovomich really wants attacking football, and comes out with a line up like

Cech
    Essien----Mikel
    ---SWP
    Joe Cole
    Malouda-
    Shevchenko

vs. a United line up like

VDS
    --Brown
    Ferdinand---Vidic
    Evra-
    -Ronaldo
    Hargreaves--Scholes
    Giggs-
    Rooney
    Tevez

Then we could have an absolutely cracking game.

Hargreaves wont make the game unfortunately. Nani will play I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Man U team:
    VDS
    --Brown
    Ferdinand---Vidic
    Evra-
    -Ronaldo
    Carrick--Scholes
    Giggs-
    Rooney
    Tevez

Subs: Kuszczak, Pique, Saha, Nani, O'Shea

Chelsea Team:
    Cech
    Essien----Makelele
    ---Mikel
    Joe Cole
    Malouda-
    Shevchenko

Subs: Cudicini, Alex, Belletti, Kalou, Wright Phillips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I imagine J. Cole will play as a winger rather than central midfielder there . . .

I imagine J. Cole will play as a winger rather than central midfielder there . . .
    Yeah thats more likely alright. Can see giggs up front and rooney on the left too (God I hope not though!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Utd team
    VDS
    BROWN VIDIC FERDINAND EVRA
    RONALDO CARRICK SCHOLES GIGGS
    ROONEY TEVEZ

looks like 4-4-2 (1/1) great back to your best formation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

anyone watching sky sports at the moment. avram grant just said he didnt train with the players on saturday because of his faith, does that mean he cant manage games on sat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Juat said roman went into the dressing room and camera went to Gullit who was pissing himself laughing :D

Redknapp being the usual fence sitter, i hope he gets a job with chelsea will at least get him of the tv.

kdjac

Redknapp being the usual fence sitter, i hope he gets a job with chelsea will at least get him of the tv.
    Here here!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Call_me_al wrote:
    anyone watching sky sports at the moment. avram grant just said he didnt train with the players on saturday because of his faith, does that mean he cant manage games on sat?

No, yesterday was some sort of jewish holiday.

Rooney on Mourinho leaving

"...... make it harder for us.......pull their team together......etc etc"
    look like Utd are not falling for this chelsea are in trouble s**t , they still know this is a very good side and it going to be a real test.

• Advertisement

JESUS
    VAN BASTEN
    sitting with chelsea top guns

jebus :eek:

Miklel sent off straight red

Chelsea RRS on old trafford :p
    kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

That was a terrible decision by the ref

thats a joke of a decision. Yellow sure, maybe, straight red not a chance!

Chelsea very hard done by there. They can still keep the same formation though really, with just Makalele and Essien in the middle and have malouda and J.Cole come back a little to cover.

Tevez!!! Great finish.

• Advertisement

Nice cross from Giggs, terrible goal keeping though.

Get In Here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Nice cross from Giggs, terrible goal keeping though.

there's not much else cech could have done tbh, so it can hardly be described as "terrible"

fantastic ball from giggs, and a cracking header from tevez.. that'll be just what he needs..

Roar wrote:
    there's not much else cech could have done tbh

Except get in front of Tevez.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Very poor defending by Terry really.

I went to the pub to watch it but I'm home now, can't be arsed watching that shíte, awful game.

Mossy Monk wrote:

Keeper catches whats in his area, didnt notice any defenders around tevez in fact he seemed to just move forward unmarked for a free header.

Nowt keeper could have done there if he moved forward hes left his net empty.

kdjac

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I went to the pub to watch it but I'm home now, can't be arsed watching that shíte, awful game.

To be honest, I watched far worse. Man U are playing quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Mossy Monk wrote:

every goal keeper in the world would have done what cech did, to try and punch the cross away, it was just a very good and very brave header from tevez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I thought it was a good game, the sending off has ruined it though.

Agreed. It started off ok, both sides pushing forward a bit, but since the sending off its nearly all Man U. Sheva's back to looking disinterested. I think SWP should come on for J.Cole so they can at least have a go at bombing down the flanks.

Another game effectively ruined by a bad ref.

<edit> Kalou on now for sheva. I expect Pizarro on for the last 15mins for when Chelsea start having a go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement