Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United -vs- Chelsea Sun 23 Sept

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Jesus what the f*ck is the ref at? he sends Mikel off for a tackle where he got the ball and his feet were on the ground and Joe Cole clearly hacks Ronaldo down and gets a yellow? Bloody joke, Ref ruined what could have been a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

hehe Wes Brown = the new Michael Jackson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Crap ref

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

2-0 peno saha scored, should have let ronaldo take it :P

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Wonderful dying swan impression by Saha to win the penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I give Saha 10/10 for that dive. This referee is shocking.

LOL Saha looked like he had been shot, Chelsea look like they might have a long season ahead of them, and the ref may go to spec savers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Dive Dive

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Saha made the most of the penalty incident, but there was contact there.

• Advertisement

There was contact then a second later Saha was shot with an invisible bullet or he dived.

FT Man Utd 2 Chelsea 0

Only cancells out the one we should have been given in the first half for the challenge on Evra. Happy days, Up to second in the table now.

pity bout the game. might have been decent if it was 11 v 11.

I would have loved to have seen how the game would have went if the Ref had of went to spec savers and not sent Mikel off.

Both teams don't look anywhere near as good as Arsenal at the minute tbh imo.

irish1 wrote:

Both teams don't look anywhere near as good as Arsenal at the minute tbh imo.

True, but in all fairness Arsenal have not had any big games yet. Where as Man U have played Chelsea as have Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Aquos76 wrote:
    True, but in all fairness Arsenal have not had any big games yet. Where as Man U have played Chelsea as have Liverpool.

Ah but what about spurs? Were they not supposed to be well on their way to a top four finish this year? ...Possobly not. Seemingly all the experts tipping arsenal the tumble have been wrong, so far anyway:)

Spurs, were built up as been the team to break into the top 4 this season, that has not happened. The were shocking against arsenal even after they taking the lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Nice honest interview by fergie
    .....red card was a bit harsh......peno a bit harsh........
    Cole tackle was straight red .......should have had peno in first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

ROCKMAN wrote:
    Get In Here

Are you American?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Harsh red card, but to be honest, if you show your studs, you're just asking for a ref to get himself in the papers.
    Laughable peno. It was a peno granted, but that sort of dive should result in the peno not being given.
    I'm furious about the tackle on Ronaldo, I really think that was an attempt to injure him, it should have been a straight red.
    Not sure about the peno on Evra, woulda been harsh.
    Also what the **** was that yellow card on Rooney for, Cole was diving all over the gaff.

That said, I was happy with how United played, even before the red. I felt we dominated the game completely, and made a couple of good chances. Saha getting a goal is very very good, and you can see how much better we are attacking with him on the pitch. Our defense is really very impressive now. This is a huge win for us I think, and hopefully we can build on it to get back to the top, or at least very close to Arsenal by the end of October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Are you American?

you can be banned for personal insults on here you know LOL:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I just want to express my disgust at Andy Gray and Martin Tyler today. The most biased commentary Ive ever heard over a soccer match. They were so ant-United it was laughable. They slayed United for harassing the ref and basically crucified Saha for his dive.

Yet no mention of Ashley Cole's continuous diving, even getting Rooney booked in doing so, and not to mention the battalion of players surrounding the ref after Mikel's red, including Mikel grabbing the ref and Terry trying to do a runner with his cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Archimedes wrote:
    I just want to express my disgust at Andy Gray and Martin Tyler today. The most biased commentary Ive ever heard over a soccer match. They were so ant-United it was laughable. They slayed United for harassing the ref and basically crucified Saha for his dive.

Yet no mention of Ashley Cole's continuous diving, even getting Rooney booked in doing so, and not to mention the battalion of players surrounding the ref after Mikel's red, including Mikel grabbing the ref and Terry trying to do a runner with his cards.

Gray should be stuffed in a black bag and put out with the rubbish in the morning. he's been like that for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Andy Gray seems to jump on the bandwagon of the current flavour of the month. A horrible commentator.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Referee 2 - 0 Chlesea.
    Terrible game!

next....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That was a good game :) Very happy with the United performance. Lots of clean passing, flowing play, the way it should be done. Granted Chelsea were missing Drogs, Lamps, and Carvalho (and also got Mikel sent off), but we still dominated the game from start to finish, even before the red card. Our defence was outstanding today, shutting down any opportunities Chelsea had. As per usual, Vidic wasn't beaten more than once in the air! :D Legend.

As for the red card... I probably woulda given a yellow, and I think most refs would have too. But, most refs would have given a straight red for Joe Cole's filthy tackle on Ronaldo. Disgraceful tackle.

We had 3 or 4 straight forward chances on the left-hand side of the goal (Giggs and Saha I think) that could have easily gotten us another goal. Giggs' miss was terrible. A header mighta gone in, but since he chose to use his foot, a bit of a tap mighta done the job! Bloody blasted over the bar.

Good to see Carlito get a goal, and it was a great one. Excellent cross from Giggs, and he did really well to get it in the near post.

Good to see the quality coming back! I'm feeling alot more optimistic about the season after that match. Let's hope Ferguson now settles into the 4-4-2. But I think Saha works better alongside Rooney or Tevez, rather than the 2 of them together.

edit:

BTW, apparantly Jewsé has 90 days to get the appropriate badge or he can't manage Chelsea. Ruud Gullit thinks he can't get it, but then Ruud Gullit is a moron, so we'll have to wait and see.

Id say Grant will either get the badge, or get a let off. Didn't Southgate and Roeder both have similer problems but were allowed special dispensation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

DaveMcG wrote:
    BTW, apparantly Jewsé has 90 days to get the appropriate badge or he can't manage Chelsea. Ruud Gullit thinks he can't get it, but then Ruud Gullit is a moron, so we'll have to wait and see.

Lol +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

I didn't notice any anti-manu sentiments. Least i don't recall any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Archimedes wrote:
    I just want to express my disgust at Andy Gray and Martin Tyler today. The most biased commentary Ive ever heard over a soccer match. They were so ant-United it was laughable.
    +1. Also, when Mikel was sent off, Tyler constantly suggested that the United players influenced the desicion. I think they were also being generous about Chelsea's performance - granted, they had bad luck and things may have been different, but they were poor in fairness.

As for the match, I think Fergie hit the nail on the head when he talked about the ref making 4 bad decisions, but ones which evened each other out (although if they had all been timed differently who knows how the match would've turned out) - I thought the penalty not given was a stone-waller, whereas Saha's one was harsh. Ditto with the dismissals - Mikel was very hard done by, but Joe Cole's tackle on Ronaldo was dispicable and I'd love to see him get done for violent conduct (although he won't, because the ref took action on it).

Not the greatest performance, but 3 huge points and Tevez off the mark! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

ROCKMAN wrote:
    JESUS
    VAN BASTEN
    sitting with chelsea top guns

Van Basten I did see, but Jesus I didn't. Are you sure He was there with van Basten and the Chelsea top guns?

Maybe Ambrovomich wants Chelsea to play total football and thinks Van Basten is the manager to do it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The sending off pretty ruined any chance of this being an exciting game. It wasn't a sending off in my opinion but sure what you gonna do. Good win for United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

am i the only one who thinks the ref was well within his rights to send Mikel off? studs showing like, he could have done some serious damage.

also, remember when Cech hit Rooney on the back of the head? it was a proper ****ing punch with the hand that WASN'T going for the ball. Goalkeepers get too much special treatment for me these days, even if Rooney wasn't going to the win the ball i felt Cech should have been sanctioned with a card or something for that.

then there's Cole's challenge on Ronaldo... what goes through these refs heads sometimes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Great win.

Dissappointed in Saha for that rediculous dive.

Mikel, not a straight red, but he goes in with 2 feet every week and he will badly hurt someone soon, reckless idiot.

Hated how Tyler and Grey just did nothing but compliment the "heart" and "drive" of Chelsea... What? awful performance and they looked like they didnt want to be there. As if now that Jose is gone they want their mummy back.

We go 4-4-2 and we dominate for 90mins, finally. So happy for Carlos getting off the mark.

Wes Brown played his socks off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

J Cole was shocking as was Essien, and Makele has gone from an average passer to a ****e passer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

good win for Utd, they deserved it.

People say it wasn't a sending off, at the end of the day mikel made a stupid tackle, it was definitely a yellow anyway and you leave your foot in like that, you're asking for trouble... i've seen people sent off for that manys a time.

He forced the ref into a decision, so there's only one man to blame for the sending off and that's himself.

Anyway, cole should have been off, plus Utd should have had a penalty, so i don't see how any Chelsea manager/player/fan can claim they were unlucky.

Guillet was right though, they lacked bite.. lacked that work-rate they normally have. Utd always needed the second to seal it and there's no doubt it was a penalty.. saha was clipped on the legs, plus he got an arm across the face/chest, so a double foul imo..

The injury time goal by Tevez was dodgy, i'll give them that.. although the ball was in the last third and clearly going in to Utd's possession so they were on the attack..

Another Utd win, without playing great.. who does that remind you of ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

smemon wrote:
    good win for Utd, they deserved it.

People say it wasn't a sending off, at the end of the day mikel made a stupid tackle, it was definitely a yellow anyway and you leave your foot in like that, you're asking for trouble... i've seen people sent off for that manys a time.

He forced the ref into a decision, so there's only one man to blame for the sending off and that's himself.

Anyway, cole should have been off, plus Utd should have had a penalty, so i don't see how any Chelsea manager/player/fan can claim they were unlucky.

Guillet was right though, they lacked bite.. lacked that work-rate they normally have. Utd always needed the second to seal it and there's no doubt it was a penalty.. saha was clipped on the legs, plus he got an arm across the face/chest, so a double foul imo..

The injury time goal by Tevez was dodgy, i'll give them that.. although the ball was in the last third and clearly going in to Utd's possession so they were on the attack..

lol :rolleyes:

chelsea were muck, didn't try much to get back in the game after going 1-0 down. Utd were just passing it around as if it the game meant nothing to chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Gangsta wrote:
    lol :rolleyes:

chelsea were muck, didn't try much to get back in the game after going 1-0 down. Utd were just passing it around as if it the game meant nothing to chelsea.

But thats the thing the game didn't mean a lot to Chelsea. I'm sorry to say but I wasn't concerned about the result at all yesterday, there are bigger things happening at the moment than yesterdays game.

I though the ref was a joke, apparently 14 red cards in his last 16 games! Tells you something. Chelsea have also made a huge f**k up in appointing Grant as the manager as Chelsea cannot enter the champions league with him in charge. Nice one lads so expect another manager at Chelsea pretty soon.

• Advertisement

iregk wrote:
    But thats the thing the game didn't mean a lot to Chelsea. I'm sorry to say but I wasn't concerned about the result at all yesterday, there are bigger things happening at the moment than yesterdays game.

I though the ref was a joke, apparently 14 red cards in his last 16 games! Tells you something. Chelsea have also made a huge f**k up in appointing Grant as the manager as Chelsea cannot enter the champions league with him in charge. Nice one lads so expect another manager at Chelsea pretty soon.
    So losing more ground on title rivals for a team that aspires to win the league is no big deal???

U didnt think Cole should have been sent off??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

So losing more ground on title rivals for a team that aspires to win the league is no big deal???

U didnt think Cole should have been sent off??

No it wasn't because whats happening within the club at the moment is more important that 1 years league title. I'd gladly sacrifice it in order to get things back on track from the ground up.

As for Cole to be honest I think most have lost the plot regarding what is and isn't a card these days. Cole's challenge was dire, no attempt to get the ball so its a yellow card, bordering red. Had he been the last man, red no doubt.

Mikels challenge was never a red, it wasn't so much a bad challenge but more of an akward, what is he doing type thing. Yellow for that in my opinion.

I am the kind of person that wants to see football return to being a mans game not the fairy sport its becoming. Saha in my opinion should have been carded for the worst dive this season. We have lost the art of tackling. Too many people think any sort of physical contact is a foul and most are cards. Come on since when did it stop being a contact sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

wasn't worst dive of the season, he did make a meal of it though. Regardless, Ben Haim did catch his foot as h went past, and caught him in the face too. Anyway, it made up for not getting the penalty earlier. Cole may have got a foot on the ball, but after he caught Evra and only because he went through Evra.

As for his tackle on Ronaldo.... It can't even be called a dire tackle, because it wasn't a tackle at all. He made no attempt what so ever to play the ball so it was a dangerous professional foul. Should have been a straight red.

iregk wrote:
    No it wasn't because whats happening within the club at the moment is more important that 1 years league title. I'd gladly sacrifice it in order to get things back on track from the ground up.
    It begins and ends on the pitch. The first step to restoring order is getting the results.
    iregk wrote:
    As for Cole to be honest I think most have lost the plot regarding what is and isn't a card these days. Cole's challenge was dire, no attempt to get the ball so its a yellow card, bordering red. Had he been the last man, red no doubt.
    Doesnt matter if he was last man or first man, it was dangerous, what if he broke his ankle, which he easily could have done, would it still be just a yellow then??
    iregk wrote:
    Mikels challenge was never a red, it wasn't so much a bad challenge but more of an akward, what is he doing type thing. Yellow for that in my opinion.
    I agree to a degree but in real time it looked awful and thats all the ref has to go on. He doesnt have the benefit of 101 replays and Andy Grays bullsh*t.
    iregk wrote:
    I am the kind of person that wants to see football return to being a mans game not the fairy sport its becoming. Saha in my opinion should have been carded for the worst dive this season. We have lost the art of tackling. Too many people think any sort of physical contact is a foul and most are cards. Come on since when did it stop being a contact sport?
    It wasnt a dive, it was an exaggeration. I agree, there is too much diving, but your condoning of Cole's "tackle" is worse than diving. id rather see it as it is now than stuff like that coming back into the game on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

iregk wrote:

:D:D:D

That was a straight red in any era of the game! It wasn't a tackle. He deliberately tried to injure Ronaldo with a disgraceful lunge. If Coles foot had been an inch or two higher he would have inflicted very serious damage...Ronaldo very lucky not to have a broken ankle after that assault!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Archimedes wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking. Terry grabbed the refs wrist to stop him raising his arm to show the card and nothing was done? I thought putting your hands on the ref to any degree got dealt with?
    And Rooney got a yellow for protesting and Cole does it and nothing. Ref's have a hard job we would all agree but what we'd also agree on is the one thing that infuriates is the lack of consistency with decisions!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

smemon wrote:

Juventus 2005?

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Apparently Chelsea were playing great before the sending off? Was i watching a different gamestupid Sky Sports commentary.....United were all over them and i think the red card might have hampered them getting a goal earlier.....although who knows

Apparently Chelsea were playing great before the sending off? Was i watching a different gamestupid Sky Sports commentary.....United were all over them and i think the red card might have hampered them getting a goal earlier.....although who knows

I dunno..Man U were playing the better football at that point alright, but Chelsea were still regularly getting forward en masse which effectively stopped after the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

i dont remember VDS having to make a save all game

• Advertisement
Advertisement