Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crack in shower tray.

Options
  • 20-09-2007 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭

I have a fairly long crack in the tray of my shower which I do intend to replace soon. In the meantime, could anyone recommend if there is anything out there that I could use to temporarily seal it up? Maybe silicon or some sort of liquid plastic or something?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

You could try silicone when it's bone dry but TBH it's going to be hard to seal it effectively particularly if there's any movement in the crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭Archeron

thanks for that, I'll give it a try. There is a lot of movement unfortunately, as it kind of raises on one side but not the other. Sure I'll try a helluva lot of silicon and see what happens.
    Cheers!

Good Luck. I feel you'll need it. It might just keep you going until you get it replaced.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Sealant then Duck tape + stand on the edges.

Zambia232 wrote:
    Sealant then Duck tape + stand on the edges.

Ah Duck tape, is there anything it cant do? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd have thought a good thick layer of epoxy resin would have done a better job tbh. You'll have to make sure the surrounding are is nice and clean and grease free before doing it, and it won't look as nice not being white though.

I would be afraid that with the movement, even with the first use, one side will just break away leaving the same problem as is currently there. At least, the silicone might allow some flexibilty for a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Silicon and Duct Tape, won't look pretty but as you're replacing it, may hold out for a bit.

"Duct Tape or Flowers will fix almost anything" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

There's stuff specially made for this job. I used it ages ago when I accidently put something through the bottom of bathtub. It looked like fibreglass. In fact I think it may well have been fibreglass, and I had to paint on, what I imagine was resin. I got it in a hardware shop on Baggot St. south of the canal, although I'm sure most shops would have it. It hardened very well, and did the trick until we got the bath replaced (couple of months).

thanks for all the advice. I've a few options here anyway, so I'm sure something will work out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

There's stuff specially made for this job. I used it ages ago when I accidently put something through the bottom of bathtub. It looked like fibreglass. In fact I think it may well have been fibreglass, and I had to paint on, what I imagine was resin. I got it in a hardware shop on Baggot St. south of the canal, although I'm sure most shops would have it. It hardened very well, and did the trick until we got the bath replaced (couple of months).

Prolly isopon or similiar
    http://marinestore.co.uk/page/mrst/PROD/fillers-marine-gelcoat-epoxy/HA1698/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Being a plumber ,I'd just replace it . But some sort of resin like alun suggested is your best bet at sealing it.

Silicone will just rub off ,when your using the shower.

Advertisement