Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comparisons

• 20-09-2007 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

If I said that Robert Mugabe looked like an ape, I would probably be banned. But if I said that George W Bush looked like a chimp no one would bat an eye lid, I wonder why that is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

because you only have 14 posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭williambonney

whats that got to do with it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If I said that Robert Mugabe looked like an ape, I would probably be banned.
    Would you disagree with such a ban?

But if I said that George W Bush looked like a chimp no one would bat an eye lid, I wonder why that is?

Why should eyelids be batted(spl?)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

The more posts you have, the more leeway you get when it comes to things that are borderline banable basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

The difference between you being a troll (maybe), and a proper poster who wants to have a real discussion !

• Advertisement

Yore Ma! looks like a chimp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

If I said that Robert Mugabe looked like an ape, I would probably be banned. But if I said that George W Bush looked like a chimp no one would bat an eye lid, I wonder why that is?
    'Cause that's the why.

got to do with what ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Haven't seen the charter lately boney? :(

how did you know that?

• Advertisement

Haven't seen the charter lately boney? :(

Well, its humorous in context, so does it still count? Heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The apes have a Union to lobby on their behalf but the chimps don't so we get away with it. ;)

The difference between you being a troll (maybe), and a proper poster who wants to have a real discussion !

I think its got the makings of a proper discussion about peoples attitudes to comparisons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

I think its got the makings of a proper discussion about peoples attitudes to comparisons.

Off you go then !

Off you go then !
    By making a statement “I think Robert Mugabe looks like an ape” would in my opinion be regarded as racist comment. But I don’t think that’s fair, because what if i said think he looks like an ape because he is ugly, not because every one assumes i said that because he is black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

Between apes, chimps and lizards, I reckon its time to call on Dr Doolittle to assist us here in AH.

Off you go then !
    By making a statement “I think Robert Mugabe looks like an ape” would in my opinion be regarded as racist comment. But I don’t think that’s fair, because what if i said I think he looks like an ape because he is ugly, I think people would assume I said that because he is black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Bunch of knobs in this thread, booyeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Discuss the original topic or STFU. In either case, read the charter.

• Advertisement

sorry i am lost here, where is the exit sir?

but no, bad comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I personally do not think he looks like an ape, although I do believe he sometimes has the same mentality of one.

If you provided comparitive pictures, then there would probably be no problem.

boneyarsebogman, yes it was in context. I'm sure about the humourous part though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

50 Cents G Unit group stands for "gorilla unit", as in the animal, not the rebel fighter.

I remember thinking when he came out in 2003 that he is the ugliest rapper since the late great Biggie Smalls, but hes been on so much you get used to him.I dunno :confused:

Not to diss Biggie, he himself mentioned his lack of attractiveness in several tunes (mainly comparing it to the sex with beautiful women that his monetary power brought despise his morbid obesity ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

/looks in mirror
    Biggie smalls Biggie smalls Biggie smalls Biggie smalls Biggie smalls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Samantha Mumba looks like a monkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I'd still give her one

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭North&South

MooseJam wrote:
    I'd still give her one
    Hmmph! I'd give her two.... punches that is!

For daring to be in my hubbys dream a few years ago... trollop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Where is the comparsion? Mugabe is an ape, as is Bush, and you, and all the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

hippy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

All leaders are monkeys, or lizards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Hagar wrote:
    The apes have a Union to lobby on their behalf but the chimps don't so we get away with it. ;)
    Where's Hail2DaChimp? He will get things organised!

Advertisement