Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

.Net courses in the Limerick area

• 20-09-2007 1:40pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I decided that it's about time I got off my butt and learned .Net. Does anyone know of any good night-time/part-time courses in the Limerick area for .Net (specifically ASP.Net & C#)? I realise I can google this sort of stuff but what I'm looking for is someone who has done the course and got a lot out of it/thought it was well worth the money as well as those who have done it and found it a waste of money.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

I would buy a book instead of doing a course. It's alot cheaper and you can learn at your own pace with a hands on project.

APress do good books and so do wrox (but the nerds on the cover scare me away from wrox books).

I have an apress book (asp.net 2.0 eCommerce in c#) and it teaches you how to build a whole online store whilst learning loads about .net and other things. The software you need is all free too so it's easy to get setup.

Hope it helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭lukin

grahamor wrote:

APress do good books and so do wrox (but the nerds on the cover scare me away from wrox books).

I know, check out the guy second from the right here:
    Wrox4.jpg
    :D

I agree with grahamor by the way. A good book with code examples you can d'load is better (and cheaper) than a course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 WeeDiddly

lukin wrote:
    I know, check out the guy second from the right here:

I agree with grahamor by the way. A good book with code examples you can d'load is better (and cheaper) than a course.

I agree, but just when you do buy/recieve your book, tipp-ex out the nerds on the front cover! Should increase the value of your book if anything!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

Sorry guys I should have been more precise. I've already done the book, online tutorial thing. I can write ASP.Net code (and have learned quite a bit of VB.Net so not expecting much difficulty with C# as I already can program in C++). What I'm looking for is certification more than anything else but also a course that will:

1) refresh my knowledge of what I've already learned
    2) fix any mistakes I have in what I've already learned
    3) give the certification that will get me past the HR dept so I can get a better job :)

What I'm trying to avoid is spending a couple hundred on some mickey mouse course and then find out the certification isn't worth a damn. I know that in general certifications aren't worth the paper they're printed on and that it's experience that counts but trying telling that to HR :D

Thanks again,
    RD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭lukin

Sorry guys I should have been more precise. I've already done the book, online tutorial thing. I can write ASP.Net code (and have learned quite a bit of VB.Net so not expecting much difficulty with C# as I already can program in C++). What I'm looking for is certification more than anything else but also a course that will:

1) refresh my knowledge of what I've already learned
    2) fix any mistakes I have in what I've already learned
    3) give the certification that will get me past the HR dept so I can get a better job :)

What I'm trying to avoid is spending a couple hundred on some mickey mouse course and then find out the certification isn't worth a damn. I know that in general certifications aren't worth the paper they're printed on and that it's experience that counts but trying telling that to HR :D

Thanks again,
    RD

I think that employers would be more impressed if you could show them something that you've actually done rather than certification to show that you CAN do it. Have you thought about putting up a website containing sample applications?
    You say you can write ASP.Net code and you know VB.NET so it should be well within your capability.
    I found from going to interviews for web developer jobs (if that's what you're interested in) that they often ask you to supply a portfolio of websites that you've worked on (which made me think "WTF?").
    If you do have something online it'll show them that at least this guy is prepared to get up off his ass and actually produce some work that we can judge him by.
    If you haven't got work experience to show what you can do it's not a bad alternative IMO.
    I posted up a similar question to yours a few days ago (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055151119&referrerid=&highlight=
    ).
    The course I was asking about (IACT) is v. expensive and I decided against it in the end and the classroom option is only available in Dublin.
    There is online and CD options too but maybe not for C#/ASP.
    I dunno, maybe others will have better suggestions so feel free to contradict me. If you really want to get certification, some sort of distance learning option is your best bet (ACM is another online IT education option).
    But if it's to impress potential employers I still say putting something up online is your best bet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement