Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Figures from the pound...

Options
  • 20-09-2007 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Taken from http://dogsindistress.org/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1190286208

Just thought we would share the figures for dogs left in the pound from Monday the 17th up until yesterday the 19th. This is just three days!

Total strays that arrived in Ashton Pound: 27.

Total surrenders that arrived in Ashton Pound: 20.

This is unbelievable. In just three days!

Thats just one pound on the northside of Dublin. Imagine what the national figure must be like :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Just another reason proving that Ireland isn't a great place to be a dog...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

It's disgusting - it truly is - 20 unwanted and uncared for dogs in one week.
    Just so as people know a " surrendered " dog is not entitled to any time at all in the pound as by law " strays " have to be kept for 5 days - dogs handed in are at the discretion of the pound manager and if the pound is full with strays I'm afraid it's bye bye surrenders.
    Ashton are a great pound for preventing destruction if they can help it but the sheer volume doesn't make their jobs any easier

Ashton only serves the Fingal area so yes imagine the figures for the whole of Ireland

In fact - you should find them on here :(

www.anvilireland.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

:(

That makes me SO sad. How can ANYONE 'surrender' their pets? Why do they get them in the first place at all if they can't/won't care for them?

These figures which I assume are similar country wide are SHAMEFUL. Animal loving nation my arse :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Some of you seem surprised by these figures. The situation has been the same for a long time and unfortunately it is not improving. The pound in Ashtown are always looking for volunteer drivers to bring saved dogs to their new owners. They organise a chain of drivers depending on the location. More information can be got at :
    www.dogsindistress.org

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

There's lots of rescue groups on http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php? always looking for volunteers be it in transport, fostering, monetary assistance etc. If you think you can help then just sign up and go to the volunteers needed thread. Also have a look around the board to see what goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I saw an ad recently, woman had bought a puppy when she was 7 months pregnant and wanted to get rid of it 2 months later as she "was having a baby".

Advertisement