Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

topic of conversation..

Options
  • 20-09-2007 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

so, this forum is fairly slow (only a couple of replies to most posts..no talk of plays coming up etc) compared to the rest of boards so i thought id put some questions or things ive been thinking about regarding theatre every once in a while to start some conversations...

so, a fairly basic one to start off. whats been a piece of theatre/dance/music/whatever that you've scene recently thats really excited or inspired you? or if you've not seen much lately, what would be something you'd love to see an irish company to do? (i see the fringe fest is on so there should be a bit to talk about.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fluffybunnyhead

I saw the Sam Shepard play, kicking a dead horse. Stephen Rea is the man. I've not really been to too many one man shows, I think it can be difficult for one actor to hold the stage, and the audience's attention for the duration. But he did it alright... I was moved and enthused, and involved the entire time. You almost wanted to get up there and give him a hand with that damn horse!! And a lot of the theories resonated with me, about awareness, and knowing yourself and being fulfilled in your life. Great play!

Also, La Clique was wonderful, inspirational. It gladdens my heart that there is a place for everyone in the world, no matter where your talent lies!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Personally I hate serious stuff. I like a good dramatic story and I like strong production values. Neither of those two mean anything unless the acting draws me in on an emotional level and sometimes that depends on my own mood (which I think is the main problem facing theatre, apart from funding). I like stuff that makes me question how I view the world but I do not like stuff that makes me go what the hell was that about. I love good writing - snappy and true. I saw Lizzie Lavelle and the Vanishing of Emlyclough in Belmullet during the summer and I thought that was very funny. It has given me an interest in site specific work. I also saw Terminus and thought that was pretty amazing - left me kinda shell shocked and reeling. I love young peoples theatre - the kind that does not patronise the audience and makes them feel uncomfortable. My favourite is new companies who create pure magic with absolutely no resources and it just all comes together. That keeps me going.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Personally I hate serious stuff. I like a good dramatic story and I like strong production values. Neither of those two mean anything unless the acting draws me in on an emotional level and sometimes that depends on my own mood (which I think is the main problem facing theatre, apart from funding). I like stuff that makes me question how I view the world but I do not like stuff that makes me go what the hell was that about. I love good writing - snappy and true. I saw Lizzie Lavelle and the Vanishing of Emlyclough in Belmullet during the summer and I thought that was very funny. It has given me an interest in site specific work. I also saw Terminus and thought that was pretty amazing - left me kinda shell shocked and reeling. I love young peoples theatre - the kind that does not patronise the audience and can still make them feel uncomfortable. My favourite is new companies who create pure magic with absolutely no resources and it just all comes together. That keeps me going.

Advertisement