Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards PW podcast?

• 20-09-2007 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭

Been thinking about this for a bit, but a lot of PW forums have podcasts and was wondering if anyone here would be up for one here? All ya need is an internet connection, skype, and some fortunate one to host it!

Good idea? No trolling please.

VR!

Should this forum host a podcast from time to time? 43 votes

Good idea?
    0% 0 votes
    Horse shoe ugly idea!
    100% 43 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Try it out I guess.
    What would the content/material be though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Bowling shoe ugly?, might be a good idea with the right host

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

EdK wrote:
    Bowling shoe ugly?, might be a good idea with the right host

Was thinking about that as well. Hosts could also vary. If anyone ever watches The Panel on Network 2 from time to time, they swap the hosts around the whole time and it usually works.

Topics would obviously wrestling and opinion on it. It would really depend on how often it would be done. Once every two weeks or something to start off with and see how it goes. You could have yer WWE activity, TNA, Japan, Irish stuff, whatever. Usually with these things though, the first couple of topics get covered and then the whole thing goes astray. Makes for good listening though. :)

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I'd like to see how this plays out! I'd take part but don't have skype and have no intentions of getting it!

Minto wrote:
    I'd like to see how this plays out! I'd take part but don't have skype and have no intentions of getting it!

It's a lot easier than you might think. If you've a broadband connection then skype to skype calls are free. It's like using MSN messenger, only with your voice instead of typing.

VR!

• Advertisement

It's a lot easier than you might think. If you've a broadband connection then skype to skype calls are free. It's like using MSN messenger, only with your voice instead of typing.

VR!

Do ya not have to subcribe to them?

Minto wrote:
    Do ya not have to subcribe to them?

Not at all! You require skype credit if you want to use the service to ring mobiles or landlines(which is still cheaper than eircom, but thats another rant for another board). But for skype to skype users, it's free. All you need is a broadband connection, a headphone/microphone set(or a mic and speakers) and a free download of skype.

Of course, one of the hosts will need recording software as well, but theres some good shareware ones out there like goldwave that will do the job.

F*ck it, i'll even go so far as to give it a shot as a test/pilot. Who else is up for it?

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

After seeing you and Mr. Nice Guy's conversation in the HHH topic i'd love to hear this!!

amull87 wrote:
    After seeing you and Mr. Nice Guy's conversation in the HHH topic i'd love to hear this!!

That's one of many! You should go through some back posts. This was one of the more civilised ones. I kinda lost my cool in the past in previous discussions.

However i'll take the compliment, and i'm sure MNG will too.
    VR!

PS: For those who voted against the idea, at least give a reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'd support this, just don't expect me on it for a while!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That's one of many! You should go through some back posts. This was one of the more civilised ones. I kinda lost my cool in the past in previous discussions.

I wasn't without fault in those previous discussions either. Also had some heated debates with Vince and gimmick on this forum where I got way too agitated.

I like this forum's discussions a lot and I think the podcast idea is a good one and might be interesting to try after one of the next PPVs. Like Fozzy I'm in support of it but wouldn't be on for a while.

Fair play to you VR for being willing to be the test pilot.

I wasn't without fault in those previous discussions either. Also had some heated debates with Vince and gimmick on this forum where I got way too agitated.

I like this forum's discussions a lot and I think the podcast idea is a good one and might be interesting to try after one of the next PPVs. Like Fozzy I'm in support of it but wouldn't be on for a while.

Fair play to you VR for being willing to be the test pilot.

I need someone to work with tho! I think now is a pretty good time as we just came from unforgiven and there is a rake of topics on the board to talk about!

I think now's a good a time as any, but thats probably just me.
    VR!

As I said in the PM vr!, I'd be willing to give it a go middle of next week or so, gimme some time to prepare some stuff. I think we should do something other than current news for the first one! Maybe, how the Benoit 'incident' has affected our enjoyment of wrestling or something. Whatcha think of that?

Minto wrote:
    As I said in the PM vr!, I'd be willing to give it a go middle of next week or so, gimme some time to prepare some stuff. I think we should do something other than current news for the first one! Maybe, how the Benoit 'incident' has affected our enjoyment of wrestling or something. Whatcha think of that?

Pretty much anything would work, it would really depend on how long it would go for. At first i thought an hour, but given the fact that everyone has to set up and we could run into glitches (i've just got my setup ready now, thats how eager i am to get it started), and when i start something, i'm just go-go-go. The Benoit one would certainly would be a good midway show topic (not exactly something you wanna start or end on) for sure.

VR!

Pretty much anything would work, it would really depend on how long it would go for. At first i thought an hour, but given the fact that everyone has to set up and we could run into glitches (i've just got my setup ready now, thats how eager i am to get it started), and when i start something, i'm just go-go-go. The Benoit one would certainly would be a good midway show topic (not exactly something you wanna start or end on) for sure.

VR!

Thats quite true, maybe we should book three or four main topics and give them about 10-12 mins each, aim for a 30-45 minute format for the first few shows, just to see how things go?

Timing sounds good, but i don't want to regiment it too much. Planning to say what when from start to finish kills atmosphere. And if done show to show, by the 3rd or 4th show it becomes predictable i think.

Actually getting excited about this now.
    VR!

Kinda getting into this now myself! The only reason I wanna plan this out is because, I don't wanna be stuck with nothing but to say but white noise, lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good to see that it's coming together. As I told VR by PM it's something I'll give a listen to and I'm sure others will too so your efforts won't be in vain.

Best of luck with it lads.

Minto wrote:
    Kinda getting into this now myself! The only reason I wanna plan this out is because, I don't wanna be stuck with nothing but to say but white noise, lol!

If thats yer only reason then you've nothing to worry about! It's not going out live or anything, white noise can be edited out or redone anyway.

If it's any consolation, i'm new to this sh*t as well. I'm just doing this for fun, and i'd suggest anyone else interested in it to do it for the same reason :)

VR!

Will we invite Kentonbomb for the laugh? Make the show interesting and controversial! Ha ha, just thought of HBK at Cyber Sunday last year, "I just kicked Stan!"
    On second thought, lets save Kenton til we need ratings, lol!

• Advertisement

Minto wrote:
    Will we invite Kentonbomb for the laugh? Make the show interesting and controversial! Ha ha, just thought of HBK at Cyber Sunday last year, "I just kicked Stan!"
    On second thought, lets save Kenton til we need ratings, lol!

If i want to make it interesting and controversial, i will overrate Benoit and put him up on a pedestol with demigod status similar to Charles Manson and condone every action from his birth to his death ;)

In other words, no ****ing chance! At least not yet ;)
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 DerekSmalls

Love the idea lads, fair play to ye for doing it!

If i may make a suggestion: No Cena discussion. There's only so much one person can take!!!

On the contrary. Hearing Cena being bashed to death is a lot more gratifying, and satisfying than just reading about it ;)

VR!

I'm sure there'll be plenty of listeners anyway, there's more lurkers here than posters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Remember boards.ie has a little used podcast section, I'm able to upload to it... so if you have any material for it then send it on and I can put it in there.

Remember boards.ie has a little used podcast section, I'm able to upload to it... so if you have any material for it then send it on and I can put it in there.

Seriously... thank you! I was gonna rely on something like rapidshare or megaupload! So that is much appreciated dude. :)

I've got the settings all tweaked to record, all i'm waiting for now is for Minto to take his head out of his ass and take the plunge ;)
    VR!

No problem... I'd love to see more forums doing their own podcasts... hopefully this could be the start of something bigger.

No problem... I'd love to see more forums doing their own podcasts... hopefully this could be the start of something bigger.

Please don't say that, if this blows the meat missile, we'll look like jack-asses and i'll have my head buried in the sand for years to come! ;)

VR!

Please don't say that, if this blows the meat missile, we'll look like jack-asses and i'll have my head buried in the sand for years to come! ;)

VR!
    HA.. have you heard how ridiculous the previous podcasts have been? Just have fun with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 marknigma

Hey guys would love to be involved with the podcasts I am willing to host or be part of a panel I actually think a panel would be a fantastic idea have a host and maybe 3 other people and just have a topic discussion could be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Sounds like a fun idea for you guys... I`ll definitely check it out to see how you get on. I sort of work in broadcasting (or did a while ago anyways!) so I thought I would give you guys a few pointers to hopefully stop you making the same mistakes most ppl make when they start off (including me!)

First off (unlike what you think VR) do up a running order and figure out what you want to talk about in each show and rank all of that in order of importance. Then figure out rough timings of each segment and put it down on paper and make sure everyone is knows what is going to be covered. This is not meant to make it regimented because you can always go with the flow and deviate form your running order but it is hundred times better to have one and deviate from it then to find yourself ten minutes in forgetting what you wanted to talk about. Also it gives the show a structure and listeners like that. Perhaps you could actually come up with some sort of format. For instance a quick recap of all the main points of news may be a good idea at the top to get everybody relaxed into the show.

Also as well as knowing what you want to talk about have a fair idea about what you want to say about each topic. Some people might find it easier to write out a page of cheat notes to guide your discussion. This is not a script but it means that if you suddenly go blank (as will happen on occasion!) you just have too glance down in front of you and you will be fine. I know that it will not be live but you should be aiming to get it in as few takes as possible because if you spend forever stopping the tape etc it will sound wrong. It also might be a good idea to script an introduction for each segment for the host to get the ball running smoothly on each discussion.

Also figure out who is doing what... who is asking the questions and try and stick to thatas it seems wierd if different ppl play host on a show. Also if there is more than one contributor to the podcast figure out in advance who is the go-to guy for each topic so that it sounds smooth and your not catching ppl off guard on topics they are not ready for.

Most importantly though is be yourself and make it your show. Don`t try and copy other ppl you have heard on other podcasts or radio shows because you will never do them as good as they do themselves. It sounds like a no-brainer but you will be suprised how many start broadcasting sounding nothing like themselves. Oh and keep it fairly good-humoured (talking to you VR!;) ) if there is a difference of opinion about HHH or whatever that is great but full blown arguments don`t translate well!

Thats about all I can think of, I will add to it if I think of anything else. Not trying to say I`m an expert or anything, but hopefully some of this advice will stop you making teh same mistakes I did!

Oh and use audacity to record your podcasts:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Its by far the best free sound-editing tool available. I have edited whole radio documentaries on it and it is pretty much just as good as professional sound editing equipment like pro-tools. Good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Best of luck with this lads. Maybe the format they used to use on those pwinsider elite radio shows they used to do would be useful, where they had a bunch of topics they wanted to discuss at the beginning and then ran through them one by one. It didn't seem forced or regimented but at the same time erred on the somewhat organised side of chaos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Without wanting to sound silly, but what is a podcast?

woooo232 wrote:

First off (unlike what you think VR) do up a running order and figure out what you want to talk about in each show and rank all of that in order of importance.
    Oh and keep it fairly good-humoured (talking to you VR!;) ) if there is a difference of opinion about HHH or whatever that is great but full blown arguments don`t translate well!

I can just feel the love coming from you dude. But all advice and suggestions are taken on board. Thanks :)

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I can just feel the love coming from you dude. But all advice and suggestions are taken on board. Thanks :)

VR!

Ah your wrong, I was just keeping you involved so you would keep reading!:D Best of luck with it!:)

• Advertisement

Heh i'm always reading! :) For the little amount of work my job involves, it's all i have to keep me sane during daytime hours ;)

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Good luck with it chaps. I'd like to contribute but alas I've no recording equipment.

Good luck with it chaps. I'd like to contribute but alas I've no recording equipment.

Cheap headphone and mic set can be got for under 10 quid. That is pretty much all you need, only one of the hosts needs to record it.

Door is pretty much open to all as it stands :)
    VR!

Cheap headphone and mic set can be got for under 10 quid. That is pretty much all you need, only one of the hosts needs to record it.

VR!

Hmmm..might look into that when I have time. :)

VR!

Hmmm..might look into that when I have time. :)

• Advertisement

Haha, should I listen in on the recordings to warn anyone if they go off topic or get too personal?
    gimmick wrote:
    Without wanting to sound silly, but what is a podcast?

Basically a downloadable audio show

Fozzy wrote:
    Haha, should I listen in on the recordings to warn anyone if they go off topic or get too personal?

Probably not, knowing you, you'll forget to listen to it and it won't get aired for a month! ;)

VR!

Probably not, knowing you, you'll forget to listen to it and it won't get aired for a month! ;)

Hey, only if you don't remind me!

Now... why would i remind you to look over something there is a 50% chance you may not like because i said the "f" word or something? ;)

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Great idea.

Just a quick update lads, we are hopefully, fingers, toes and eyes crossed, going to do a 30 min demo tomorrow night, just to get used to each others voice etc.

I think VR is doing the run sheet for tomorrow night. Should be fun, we may post it after the premier (hopefully on Wednesday/Thursday).

It's great to see all the support, helps get rid of the nervousness, lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Don't have skype or a head set but I'd be interested in taking part or at least listening. Is it possible without Skype?

Bubs101 wrote:
    Don't have skype or a head set but I'd be interested in taking part or at least listening. Is it possible without Skype?

I just downloaded skype an hour or so ago. Its prob possible not to use skype, but I think its easier for VR to put it together or what not. But by all means do listen in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 marknigma

right lads I deceided I am gonna do a sample show see what ya all think so anyone who wants to be involved pm me

Bubs101 wrote:

Not to worry too much, i'll give you the run down on it the best i can (bit drunk after a housewarming but it's all good)

First off, a headphone/mic set can be bought for as little as 10 quid. So one less drink per weekend will facilitate that if you're interested in becoming a host.

It's not really that possible without skype, but some people have a lot of misconceptions of skype. Skype is basically like MSN messenger, only more for phonetic use. You can use Skype to call land lines, but you'll need to purchase skype credit to do so, same for mobiles...
    ... but for skype PC user to Skype PC user, all calls are free. I can pretty much do the rest from there regards recording.

If you're not up to becoming a host, but just want to listen, that won't be a problem, all you'll need is a copy of Windows Media Player/Winamp/gayTunes or VLC and you can listen.

Hope this helps.
    VR!

• Advertisement
Advertisement