Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards PW podcast?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I know... it's just cloud asked me to make sure nothing copyrighted goes out.

Hosting companies can be very picky about that kind of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I know... it's just cloud asked me to make sure nothing copyrighted goes out.

Hosting companies can be very picky about that kind of stuff.

Sooo.. has it been chopped out and when are we going live? :)
    VR!

I'm gonna upload this tonight via rapidshare or something due to the delays with hosting it here. :)

VR!

I will definitely... DEFINITELY have it up this afternoon.

Monkey promise!

Okay.... As promised:

http://podcasts.boards.ie/

Enjoy... I'll be sure to give it a mention at the podcasting conference tomorrow as well.

Thanking you! All constructive criticism appreciated. Enjoy. :)
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Not a bad show guys, well done! Ye definitely did spend way too long on Malice in the Palace though. I was expecting some talk on the suspensions and all that, but I guess that's a topic for another day. Also, more ripping on the Orton Cena Unforgiven match would have been justified! I'll be looking forward to hearing the next instalment.

Yeah there were sound problems during the check on my side and i end up panicking! I got it running just before we got started. The MITP PPV was so bad though that it was hard to leave it! Also this is a much shorter show because it was the pilot. We were having a blast doing it and probably could have done twice the length and twice the coverage.

We didn't want to go near the suspensions as we'd already covered Benoit and that was a grim enough topic as it was. We got it out of the way early because if this was gonna become a regular thing, it would be done and dusted forever. :)

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Good try guys and fair play to use.

My only criticism would be that you spent 4 times longer on the "Malice in the Palace" thingy than the Benoit topic. It's arguably one of the biggest stories ever.

And I think you either go into it big style or either leave it out because there's just too much ground to cover. I can understand yee being hesitant on the topic though. It's a tough 1 to start with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Fair play to you both.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I'm definitly gonna get a headset, sounds like a good laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Just gave it a proper listen there again, good starting show, better done than some podcasts I've heard that have been going a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Thanks for all the positive feedback lads. Means a lot and hopefully, we'll have another one up soon.

Fozzy wrote:
    Just gave it a proper listen there again, good starting show, better done than some podcasts I've heard that have been going a while

Cheers for the vote of confidence, I appreciate it and i'm pretty sure Minto does as well as i know for a fact he was very nervous when he went heard it the next day.

If/When we do a second one we should have more time to play with and be able to cover more stuff. That seems to be the big issue so far (yep, we are taking all comments on board!). The first one was around the 40 minute mark, we might try and shoot for double that for the next one. Being honest, we haven't planned that far ahead yet ;)

VR!

The first one was around the 40 minute mark, we might try and shoot for double that for the next one.

Eh, wah? Ah no, I had loads of fun. An hour or an hour and a half, should be fun.

Minto wrote:
    Eh, wah?

Yer not from Dublin, Minto. Stop trying to sound like me! :D
    VR!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

I enjoyed the podcast lads,cant wait for the next instalment. Well done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

What? Why was I intrigued by this 'culchys' voice? Why did VR voice sound outragously brilliant.

9/10.

What? Why was I intrigued by this 'culchys' voice? Why did VR voice sound outragously brilliant.

9/10.

I have no f*cking clue as i was bunged up and dying! I was just recovering from a really bad dose of the flu! My wife to be is a school teacher and she got it in school, and like the typical gift that keeps on giving, she gave it to me! I also believe Minto was recovering from some throat congestion too. So health wise, we were far from ready. But we tried for Saturday, it didn't work. We tried for Monday, that didn't work so we weren't gonna back down a third time.

VR!

• Advertisement

I think a show should be done, on what the WWE needs to do to improve.

I can't speak for Minto, but i personally wouldn't like to spend 90 minutes talking on what a man who is making millions more per month than i am, and how he should run his business. I'd definitely touch on the subject matter, but i wouldn't cover an entire show on it :)

VR!

Yeah...yeah good point.

Lashley fears Phoenix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just listened to it now and I thought you both did a very nice, good job. It wasn't awkward or anything which is impressive for a first start.

I have to say though I found myself disagreeing with practically everything that was said seeing as you said good things about TNA and Triple H yet bashed The Undertaker, John Cena and even Maria (that is truly unforgivable!).

But yeah even so it was a good listen. It annoyed me but in the right way if you get what I mean. ;)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Extinguish this traitor... The audacity, how dare you openly criticise Minto's and VR's work.

All jokes(?) aside, yes I agree, TNA is in a terrible condition at the moment, and judging by the spoilers there two hour show does not look too impressive to be honest.

I thought the point about HHH burying guys was a good one, but I disagreed.

How could they resist not bashing Cena seeing as it was their first podcast?

Maria is a ring rat..end of.

I have to say though I found myself disagreeing with practically everything that was said seeing as you said good things about TNA and Triple H yet bashed The Undertaker, John Cena and even Maria (that is truly unforgivable!).

You disagree? MNG, I wouldn't have it any other way! And estebancambias is right, Maria is nothing but a ring rat. But then, as we already stated, Trish was pretty crap when she first came into it. So i won't totally write her off :)

You're just letting her tits "cloud your judgement" ;)
    VR!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

You're just letting her tits "cloud your judgement" ;)
    VR!

Guilty as charged!

I agree with MNG, Maria is GOD!!!

Minto wrote:
    I agree with MNG, Maria is GOD!!!

Nah, God has main evented more PPV's than Maria has. Therefore by MNG's logic, God is a bigger draw than Maria is ever likely to be!

VR!

Nah, God has main evented more PPV's than Maria has. Therefore by MNG's logic, God is a bigger draw than Maria is ever likely to be!

VR!

That match wasn't the main event. Edge Vs. Cena Vs. Triple H was! I can't remember how high up the card Maria has gotten, but when has a women's match ever main evented a PPV? The only time that comes close is Lita Vs. Trish, but that was a RAW, not PPV!

Minto wrote:
    That match wasn't the main event. Edge Vs. Cena Vs. Triple H was! I can't remember how high up the card Maria has gotten, but when has a women's match ever main evented a PPV? The only time that comes close is Lita Vs. Trish, but that was a RAW, not PPV!

eeeeeee's not wrong!
    VR!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Chyna's kind of headlined a main event That Royal Rumble when everyone knew she had number 30 entrance

Looks like your podcast is already having an effect. From www.f4wonline.com

Wrestling Observer Live update
    Many people have been e-mailing about the future of Wrestling Observer Live, and we can now officially explain what's going on.

Dave Meltzer no longer has time to devote two full hours to the show every week. This is mostly an issue with Sunday night because between PPVs, flying to and from West Coast UFC events, and writing the Observer and columns for Fox Sports Net and elsewhere, it's just impossible most of the time. Doing a show once every three or four weeks also wasn't going to cut it, nor is there much of a chance of the show moving time slots.

Long story short, we have decided that I will be taking over Observer Live. Dave will be on for 20-30 minutes on weeks that he can, and I will also likely have a rotating co-host. I will have more on this tomorrow. I figure we'll do news and such for the first 20 minutes or so after the break, do 20-30 minutes with Dave, and then either take calls or have a guest in the second hour.

The bad news, obviously, is much less Dave. The good news is that the show will continue on, plus my goal is to be consistent with it and be on the air 95% of the time with a new show, and that includes WWE and TNA PPV Sundays (we used to air reruns on WWE days). Pretty much the only time the show will not air is when I'm out of state doing something like BOLA, and even then in most cases I'm usually but not always back by Sunday night anyway.

So WOL returns tomorrow on Sports Byline and Sirius Satellite Radio Channel 122 from 5-7 PM PST, 8-10 PM EST, and if you want to call about topics in wrestling and MMA the number is 1-800-878-PLAY. I'll have more news on the show in Sunday's update. I also welcome all comments and suggestions to the above e-mail address. Thanks everyone for your support, and hopefully there are some great things to come!

Less Dave Meltzer audio is always sad. Never a perfect host or anything but still great to listen to plus his quirkiness will be missed. Alvarez is better in the host role and will bring a different flavour to the show I think.

I think he'll do well leading the show with alternating hosts (hopefully Bruce Mitchell of the torch, Lance Storm and Maybe Bryan Fritz from BTR).

Hey Minto, we're taking over! Boards.ie's podcast has overtaken their ratings! :D
    VR!

Hey Minto, we're taking over! Boards.ie's podcast has overtaken their ratings! :D
    VR!

Out of interest, are you able to find out how many people have listened to the show?

Monkeyfudge might be able to check the amount of times it has been downloaded, he's hosting it. I'm not that interested really. I'm happy enough if one person other than ourselves has listened to it.

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Goebels

Looks like your podcast is already having an effect. From www.f4wonline.com

Less Dave Meltzer audio is always sad. Never a perfect host or anything but still great to listen to plus his quirkiness will be missed. Alvarez is better in the host role and will bring a different flavour to the show I think.

I think he'll do well leading the show with alternating hosts (hopefully Bruce Mitchell of the torch, Lance Storm and Maybe Bryan Fritz from BTR).
    I really hope Bruce Mitchell is on the next show, cos Bryan has never had him on his show, probably due to the 'rivalry' with the torch, but I think they would be interesting together. Last nights WOL was probably the best one since the show with Bas Rutten and Mauro Ranallo in March earlier this year. Lately they've been boring and just plain bad, but last nights was really good.

About this show tho, I listened to it a few days ago and thought it was pretty much a home run for a debut show. Hopefully there will be less Benoit talk in the future as that is a topic people are burnt out on, we've heard everyone's opinion on it at this point so it's just redundant.

Monkeyfudge might be able to check the amount of times it has been downloaded, he's hosting it. I'm not that interested really. I'm happy enough if one person other than ourselves has listened to it.

VR!
    The podcasting software that runs the boards.ie podcast can track stats... but my account doesn't give me access to that section. I'll ask cloud and get back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

ok just back from a few days in england and just after giving your podcast a listen. Very good stuff for the first go. VR; you do seem to have a knack for this stuff :)

some small things that caught my attention:

1.VR did you call orlando jordan a midget??

2.You guys seemed surprised by the 11,000ish attendance for Unforgiven. This is actually a pretty normal WWE attendance over the last 7 years or so, especially for a PPV nobody gives a sh*t about. VR you mentioned 20-22k for WWE (not a chance of WWE pulling those numbers unless maybe Mania/Summerslam). I was at the Raw after WM20 (2004) in Continental Airlines arena in New Jersey, the crowd that night was around the 17,500/18,000 mark and JR said that was the highest Raw attendance in some 3-4 years or thereabouts.

3.I agree 100% that Maria is eyecandy; but it is a bit unfair to criticize her because she can't/doesn't wrestle that often. I for one wouldn't have her wrestling at all, she is much better in non-wrestling roles like valet, interviewer etc. it was the same with stacy keibler.

good stuff though (i am glad you talked about the 80s stuff a bit and the legend that was ultimo dragon in 1995-96)

Goebels wrote:
    I really hope Bruce Mitchell is on the next show,.

Me too. I think they'd play well off each other but I'm not sure how many times he'll be on given the whole torch versus figure four thing.

To be fair to Keller it does make sense not to have Bruce Mitchell on lots of other shows. For me Bruce is the best thing about the torch.

rossie1977 wrote:
    ok just back from a few days in england and just after giving your podcast a listen. Very good stuff for the first go. VR; you do seem to have a knack for this stuff :)

Well thank you for the compliment, it was actually the first time i did this. I did some shoutcast stuff before but that would have been about six years ago and i was on my own. It was horrid. It's a lot easier when i have Minto to work with.
    1.VR did you call orlando jordan a midget??

Nope, i was actually referring to Kidman. It's an old joke i've been using for years as i find it ridiculous that he was in the CW division in WWE for two years given his size.
    2.You guys seemed surprised by the 11,000ish attendance for Unforgiven. This is actually a pretty normal WWE attendance over the last 7 years or so, especially for a PPV nobody gives a sh*t about. VR you mentioned 20-22k for WWE (not a chance of WWE pulling those numbers unless maybe Mania/Summerslam). I was at the Raw after WM20 (2004) in Continental Airlines arena in New Jersey, the crowd that night was around the 17,500/18,000 mark and JR said that was the highest Raw attendance in some 3-4 years or thereabouts.

In recent years maybe. Badd Blood 97 drew nearly 22,000. New Years revolution drew over 15,000 in 2005 (a PPV thats generally regarded as one that nobody gives a sh*t about), Fully Loaded 2000 did nearly 17,000. Their numbers have slided. My point was that 11,000 for a PPV that has been going ten years is a poor number. It's actually the longest running consecutive PPV in WWE history since Summerslam as King Of The Ring stopped being a televised PPV after nine years. RAW's after Mania are often high numbered seeing as it's a day after the biggest PPV.
    good stuff though (i am glad you talked about the 80s stuff a bit and the legend that was ultimo dragon in 1995-96)

A couple of people have said that to me via PM actually, We might make time for more of it. We're hoping to knock another one out in a week or so. :)

VR!

• Advertisement

VR got PMs? What the f*ck? Where are mine?
    Only messing, it would only inflate my ego and I'd end up like JBL or something worse!

I'm all for a little wrestling history or 80s stuff on the show, but tbh, my knowledge is, well, frankly, like The Great Khali's wrestling skills....non-existent! Maybe if we did a review of a match or event or feud, I could look it up on the 'net and talk about it then. Hmm...ideas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Minto wrote:
    Hmm...ideas!

Tagged Classics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Minto wrote:

I'm all for a little wrestling history or 80s stuff on the show, but tbh, my knowledge is, well, frankly, like The Great Khali's wrestling skills....non-existent! Maybe if we did a review of a match or event or feud, I could look it up on the 'net and talk about it then. Hmm...ideas!

you could start with ultimo dragon circa 1996, especially his stuff with Mysterio. Their match at World War 3 1996 is on youtube and that match is lucha libre at its absolute finest imo.

Dragon was one of the finest wrestlers in the 1990s until his arm injury and later nerve damage robbed us of a fantastic talent. I saw dragon twice live, the last time falling on his a*s in front of 20,000 people in MSG.

Tagged Classics.
    Not worth the money. The early stuff is clipped to death (taking out 55 minutes out of Wrestlemania V alone and such a brutal editing of the tag match at Survivor Series 87 that you don't even see the Islanders eliminating the Bulldogs!).

VR!

rossie1977 wrote:
    you could start with ultimo dragon circa 1996, especially his stuff with Mysterio. Their match at World War 3 1996 is on youtube and that match is lucha libre at its absolute finest imo.

Dragon was one of the finest wrestlers in the 1990s until his arm injury and later nerve damage robbed us of a fantastic talent. I saw dragon twice live, the last time falling on his a*s in front of 20,000 people in MSG.

All i've really seen from Ultimo Dragon is his WCW stuff ("Ultimate" Dragon indeed!) and his poor run in 2004 in WWE. Speaking for myself i don't think my coverage of him would do him justice. I'd cover the stuff i know backwards off the top of my head no problem, but if i wing it with something i'm not too sure of, i'll trip up and sound like a complete jackass :)

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

All i've really seen from Ultimo Dragon is his WCW stuff ("Ultimate" Dragon indeed!) and his poor run in 2004 in WWE. Speaking for myself i don't think my coverage of him would do him justice. I'd cover the stuff i know backwards off the top of my head no problem, but if i wing it with something i'm not too sure of, i'll trip up and sound like a complete jackass :)

VR!

Probably his finest work was done in Japan around 1995/96 ish as far as I know, he certainly puts in some stellar performances in the J Cups of those years. I've read he can still put in some pretty decent showings to this very day too. I certainly wouldn't hang the guy based on his WWE run, he was never given any chance to show his stuff really. Apparently Vince didn't like his kick-based offensive repertoire, which begs the question why he bothered hiring him in the first place.

Just listened to the Pod Cast, I thought it was very good, good to here two Irish guys doing something like this for a change. Best of luck with it guys and if there is anything I can do to help out just ask.

Cheers dude. We're starting to work on the sheet for next weeks one, with the plans to record on monday night.

VR!

Cheers dude. We're starting to work on the sheet for next weeks one, with the plans to record on monday night.

VR!

Talk some more about the shows that came to Ireland (WWE, WWA) maybe run down the WWA card, I was at a WWA show in Dublin a few years ago (my first live event) would love to here your thoughts on it as I don't remember that well. I know Sting and Lex Luger teamed up in the main event, I would love to come on and chat about the event but I am working nights next week!! :mad:

• Advertisement

Talk some more about the shows that came to Ireland (WWE, WWA) maybe run down the WWA card, I was at a WWA show in Dublin a few years ago (my first live event) would love to here your thoughts on it as I don't remember that well. I know Sting and Lex Luger teamed up in the main event, I would love to come on and chat about the event but I am working nights next week!! :mad:

Well we're keeping it at two for a couple of weeks until we get a better feel for it. As for talking about that WWA show, it would probably be a bigger burial than Malice In The Palace! It was a wretched card from top to bottom with Joe E Legend trying to be HHH. Just Joe? More like Just a Game wannabe! I really didn't give a crap about the midget match either.

Might give it a token mention though, now that you mention it.
    VR!

Advertisement