Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio news

• 20-09-2007 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

It's something I've always wanted to know, why does radio have a news bulletin every 30 mins (and on some local stations, every 20 mins!). The world doesn't change that frequently. I can understand it on the more austere channels, newstalk and radio 1, for example, but even the heavily music-based ones do it. Is it, as I suspect, just filler, not that any radio station needs that these days - in an average hour, there's about 15 mins ads, 35 mins songs, 10 mins news sport and traffic, leaving only about 10 mins for the dj to entertain us. Am I missing something? Would a "no-news" station survive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Meh. Why does a certain TV channel have to recap their "news" headlines every TWO minutes?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

All licenced Independent Local Radio stations must broadcast a 20% quota of news/current affairs.

Tis the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

DMC wrote:
    All licenced Independent Local Radio stations must broadcast a 20% quota of news/current affairs.

Tis the law.
    Now see I didn't know that. Why is this? Some sort of arcane licensing law that has no bearing on modern Irish society? Also couldn't they have say an hour-long news show every 5 hours and still hit their quota?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

There is a campaign site trying to get this changed, all the info from their point of view is in there.

http://www.moremusiclesstalk.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

corblimey wrote:
    Now see I didn't know that. Why is this? Some sort of arcane licensing law that has no bearing on modern Irish society? Also couldn't they have say an hour-long news show every 5 hours and still hit their quota?

What would they fill the other four hours with?

Mind numbing phone in competitions,inane music,even more inane presenters shouting at the top of their voices.

Is this your version of "modern irish society" cause it ain't mine.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

What would they fill the other four hours with?

Mind numbing phone in competitions,inane music,even more inane presenters shouting at the top of their voices.

Is this your version of "modern irish society" cause it ain't mine.?
    Well of course the 4 hours would have to be filled with quality content, that goes without saying. is Larry Gogan available? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

corblimey wrote:
    Well of course the 4 hours would have to be filled with quality content, that goes without saying. is Larry Gogan available? ;)

Well maybe not, but I would suggest this as an excellent and attractive line up

Hour one: Donncadh ó Dúlaing on "The role of Fianna Fáil in the War of Independence

Hour Two:Ronan Collins spins the hits of The Swarbriggs and other legends.

Hour three:"Inside the peace process and its impact on post modernist Ireland"
    presented by Dr Martin Mansergh.

Hour four: Light hearted comedy sketch of"Ireland in the 80's" compiled and presented by Brendan Balfe.

I don't see how anyone could fail to be stimulated by that impressive line up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Well maybe not, but I would suggest this as an excellent and attractive line up

Hour one: Donncadh ó Dúlaing on "The role of Fianna Fáil in the War of Independence

Hour Two:Ronan Collins spins the hits of The Swarbriggs and other legends.

Hour three:"Inside the peace process and its impact on post modernist Ireland"
    presented by Dr Martin Mansergh.

Hour four: Light hearted comedy sketch of"Ireland in the 80's" compiled and presented by Brendan Balfe.

I don't see how anyone could fail to be stimulated by that impressive line up.

Brilliant!

Hour five: Gerry Ryan takes us inside the making of SNOT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

mental07 wrote:
    Brilliant!

Hour five: Gerry Ryan takes us inside the making of SNOT

Oh jesus, do I hate Gerry Ryan...

Back to the OP, I think that the whole news bulletin every 30 minutes is handy for a lot of people... An awful lot of people listen to the radio for small sections, not all the time, so it lets them catch up...

I must say that when i used to work in a shop we had the radio on all day, you'd nearly be able to recite the news by 10AM you've heard the report so much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Shardlakes hump

it's a licencse thing they all have to do it.It also gets people tuning in to see whats happening in the world and then they hope they'll stay listening so that they guys who advertise will have an audience for their washing machines and fast food crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

But its only in the morning and evening when you'd get the news every 20 or 30 mins. It doesn't go on all day surely! If it does, what station is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

I guess that's why the 104 Phone Show goes on for 3.5 hours

Advertisement