Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No booze for old fogies!

• 20-09-2007 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭

I reckon that this guy was a heavily made-up 16 year-old!

Has any underage person tried an OTT method, and failed dismally, when they tried to get their hands on a 6 pack?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/merseyside/7003325.stm

Man, 72, refused alcohol over age

Staff say all customers are asked for proof of age
    Supermarket staff refused to sell alcohol to a white-haired 72-year-old man - because he would not confirm he was over 21.
    Check-out staff at Morrisons in West Kirby, Wirral, demanded Tony Ralls prove he was old enough to buy his two bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon.

Mr Ralls asked to see the manager who put the wine back on the shelf.

The grandfather-of-three said he had refused to confirm he was over 21 as it was a "stupid question."

Mr Ralls, a retired insurance firm regional manager, said he expected the store manager to resolve the situation but he was disappointed.

"I felt like saying 'What do I look like? Are you a fool?'

It's bureaucracy gone mad

"He picks up the wine and, in the manner of a child taking home his ball, says 'Well, we won't serve you'."

The pensioner abandoned his shopping on the conveyor belt and left the store - but not before demanding a complaints form and phone number for Morrisons' headquarters.

Mr Ralls said: "It is bureaucracy gone mad. If the check-out lady, who was about 40, had asked me with a twinkle in her eye perhaps I would not have been so tetchy.

"But she asked me the question with a perfectly straight face and I said I wouldn't dignify the question with an answer.

"And if the manager had explained that all the staff had to ask everyone because they had previously been fined, but said I was clearly over 21, it would have been fine - but he showed no sense of humour."

Mr Ralls added that he felt embarrassed to return to the supermarket and wanted an apology for "the stupid and unnecessary confrontation."

He added: "I applaud any efforts to stop kids being served and standing on street corners getting drunk. But this was just totally stupid."

A Morrisons spokesman said: "We take our responsibility with regard to selling alcohol very seriously and all our stores operate the Task 21 scheme, which addresses the difficulties our staff face in being able to determine if a customer is legally old enough to buy alcohol.

"To further limit any element of doubt staff at the West Kirby store are required to ask anyone buying alcohol to confirm that they are over 21."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Further proof that we should just replace all minimum-wage jobs with automatons. That's all those employers want anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

To further limit any element of doubt staff at the West Kirby store are required to ask anyone buying alcohol to confirm that they are over 21.

Yeah, because kids are really going to dress up as 72 year old men to get booze. Feckin Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Maybe the aul' fella just had enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Thats just stupid hes an auld fella come on hes got to be over 21 a person cant dress up that well that they could look 72 :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Well, its an interesting approach... ask everyone, no matter how old they look for ID thus cutting out any chance of someone young getting alcohol, I can see how it'd piss off some people though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

But it could have been like that programme on TV about the girl who was older than her mother. She was 10 but she aged something like 7 times faster than normal people and the local shop wouldn't sell her cigarettes and that. Mad innit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Bureaucracy gone mad indeed, I understand that companies have polices for a reason but sometimes a little common sense goes a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

All the old boy had to say was "Yes, I am over 21".

Stubborn old fart if you ask me, coupled with a dozy jobs worth shop manager.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Superermarket managers tend to be like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its the small amount of power they hold over a unpleasant and hostile workforce that makes them that way.

Why do checkout girls never smile?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Agreed, the word "Manager" does strange things to some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

keen wrote:
    Bureaucracy gone mad indeed, I understand that companies have polices for a reason but sometimes a little common sense goes a long way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

krazy_8s wrote:
    Its the small amount of power they hold over a unpleasant and hostile workforce that makes them that way.

you ever worked their job? it doesn't look like the kind of work that'd make you happy

a new retard every four minutes, all night. every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭constellation

krazy_8s wrote:

Try saying "hello" and being polite to a checkout person and some will smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

krazy_8s wrote:

Not so in my local Aldi, they're always beaming. And some of them are crackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ejmaztec wrote:
    It's bureaucracy gone mad
    If he had gotten waay with it, but a 35 year old got asked, it'd have been an age discrimination policy.
    Gizzle wrote:
    Not so in my local Aldi, they're always beaming. And some of them are crackers.
    I second that! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

krazy_8s wrote:

I was very smiley and friendly when I worked tills/ customer service. I was nice to everyone, caus ethen people are nice to you. nothing like being rude to a nice person, when other people are looking at you,to make you feel like a tw@ and get you to cop on and be nice. also service with a smile goes a long way

Advertisement