Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

request: keep your viruses to yourself!

• 20-09-2007 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭

I'm sitting in lecture halls crowded with 200+ students on 4/5 days each week, and at times it seems like 1/10 of the students are coughing and spluttering. So far I've dodged a bullet, with only a general "malaise" last weekend. However, with the student paper reporting 5 cases of Meningitis so far - not the 1 case we were told of by email today - can I suggest people try not to infect whole classes with whatever they happen to have?

I'm not suggesting you miss lectures, but at least carry a hankie and cover your mouth whenever coughing/sneezing and other people are nearby. It's either that or we set up a quarantine section in each lecture: say, at the front, so the students don't get it but the lecturer does... ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

stereoroid wrote:
    I'm sitting in lecture halls crowded with 200+ students on 4/5 days each week, and at times it seems like 1/10 of the students are coughing and spluttering. So far I've dodged a bullet, with only a general "malaise" last weekend. However, with the student paper reporting 5 cases of Meningitis so far - not the 1 case we were told of by email today - can I suggest people try not to infect whole classes with whatever they happen to have?

I'm not suggesting you miss lectures, but at least carry a hankie and cover your mouth whenever coughing/sneezing and other people are nearby. It's either that or we set up a quarantine section in each lecture: say, at the front, so the students don't get it but the lecturer does... ;)

Maybe stay at home for the next 5 months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Fresher Flu is the Devil. In 2005 i got it while in the Freshers Tent. In 2006 I think I introduced it to the freshers tent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

stereoroid wrote:
    It's either that or we set up a quarantine section in each lecture: say, at the front, so the students don't get it but the lecturer does... ;)
    :D Brilliant!

But what happens if the lecturer gets like pneumonia...?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Ah yes, that happens in first yr. Your immune system will improve in no time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

There was only one case of Menigitis.

The five housemates were given antibiotics though just a precaution as they were in such close contact with the person who contracted it.

And people get sick. People got sick in school. CHILL OUT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im horribly sick. Freshers Flu ! Stay Away from me or it will get you too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

lol.

Get yerself a Wacko Jacko mask ffs.

Do you get Freshers Flu from shagging freshers? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 nellybelly

Red Alert wrote:
    Ah yes, that happens in first yr. Your immune system will improve in no time :D

that, or you just get used to feeling crap from perma-hangover/tiredness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

lol

for unknown reason,i just cant stop laughing while reading this thread.why?:D

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

It could be worse, you could get the mumps...or std's...and so forth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

kaimera wrote:
    Do you get Freshers Flu from shagging freshers?

No you get a mandatory 7 year stint in Montjoy for Statutory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Is it wrong that when i saw thread title i thought the OP had gotten a computer virus? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Grimes wrote:
    No you get a mandatory 7 year stint in Montjoy for Statutory

An imagine the Freshers Flu you get in there !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Is it wrong that when i saw thread title i thought the OP had gotten a computer virus? :p

I thought the same.

The plus side of scoring freshers is no stubble burn - always a plus.

And why is everyone so young these days?? I'm feeling very old at college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I got my Hep A booster today. I'm now protected. Ha ha suckers!!

OK ya chances of someone passing Hep A around are pretty slim, but still these things could happen

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Just be thankful you didn't contract freshers' Syphilis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

seraphimvc wrote:
    for unknown reason,i just cant stop laughing while reading this thread.why?:D
    'coz it's a funny situation, that's why. :o

I'm not some Wacko Jacko who can't handle the 'flu... it's just that some of it is avoidable by basic hygiene.

Not sure it was worth bothering... from the look of the 1st floor loos in the Science Hub today. there are UCD students who don't know how to use a flush toilet. Oh well - I got my DipTet and Rabies shots before a trip to India last year...

(cough)

Advertisement