Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCU security.

• 20-09-2007 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

How strict can you get? I'm after getting fined €80 because a non-resident was caught leaving campus at 1AM on my first night. I wouldn't complain but that's full whack and there should be some form of leniancy on your first night in first year?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

They are complete *****. It's a money making scam. Nothing more. Room inspections are even more fun. I got fined because the floor of my shower was wet.... I'd cleaned up and had a shower, like. Shocked horror - the floor of the shower is wet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

carlowboy wrote:
    How strict can you get? I'm after getting fined €80 because a non-resident was caught leaving campus at 1AM on my first night. I wouldn't complain but that's full whack and there should be some form of leniancy on your first night in first year?
    Wow, you had someone in your place until 1am and then they left, got caught and you were then fined? Right, well as long as they got in (legally) before 12pm and were leaving (legally) via a main entrance I'd suggest you contact the SU immediately and get them on the case. There's no way that's on to be honest, nevermind on your first night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

ive no arguements with them

the night of my GF's garduation, i went with her. we came back, only to be met with security, saying i wasnt getting in. i asked and explained that it was graduation, come on.
    they said fair enough, but if any noise came from the apartment, id be out

this was two years ago though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

gizmo wrote:
    Wow, you had someone in your place until 1am and then they left, got caught and you were then fined? Right, well as long as they got in (legally) before 12pm and were leaving (legally) via a main entrance I'd suggest you contact the SU immediately and get them on the case. There's no way that's on to be honest, nevermind on your first night.
    The rule is you're not allowed guests in your room after 12 so they can fine him if they want. Doubt the SU will be much help.

Its a stupid rule in the first place... They claim its to do with fire safety but its just another way to make money by charging students a 5 euro administration fee any time they want to have someone back... I suggest you don't live on campus after first year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

How often are the room inspections? And do they tell you beforehand? ie will I have time to get all those posters off my wall?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

theyre complete **** in the car park and anything parking related, they put a clamp on me for taking up 2 spaces in carpark 2, their trailer was blocking half of the one i was in so it didnt matter anyway it wasn't as if i was taking a free space:rolleyes: . That release fee didnt get paid:D but the clamp stayed in the carpark:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

They do give you warnings prior to inspections, still a pain in the back side though.

Defo get onto someone if the case was how Gizmo suggested. Well out of order.

It is a bit ridiculous that they fine you, but they're probably just trying to put tough rules in place on the first years now so you dont act up.

Or, maybe security are just pocketing what they take...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭micromegas

they're pretty intense about it. not sure why, but i guess it makes the place 'more secure.' or not, who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

Caught Leaving Campus? Thats crazy!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    How did it happen anyways?

Don't know if you'll be able to do anything about it really.
    Do you have to go to a meeting with Eddie or anything?

Just remember in future to tell your friends never to mention your name to security.
    They can't fine non-residents so the worst that'll happen them is that they get kicked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Shadowless wrote:
    Caught Leaving Campus? Thats crazy!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    How did it happen anyways?

Don't know if you'll be able to do anything about it really.
    Do you have to go to a meeting with Eddie or anything?

Just remember in future to tell your friends never to mention your name to security.
    They can't fine non-residents so the worst that'll happen them is that they get kicked out.
    I had my meeting yesterday. Eddie was late so I had to meet a guy called late. No apologies for being late either. Story was that I was walking with him to the recycling bins to recycle cans and then started walking to the main entrance, security came out to us and checked for keycards then took down my details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Yeah, he'll tell you how much he'll fine you there. He'll probably say €100 but try and haggle by saying it was €80 in the info sheet you get on the first day. Later then, they drop in a bank giro to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭micromegas

Shaneod19 wrote:
    Yeah I had a few people over last week, just got a letter the other day saying I had a meeting with the general manager! Did you get fined when you had the meeting?!

You're going to get fined for having a few people over? Wow. Sounds like they've really gotten strict about... well... everything in the last year and a half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gillyvanilly

i got fined when i was in 2nd year cos i lent my swipe card to my friend to get in. the one who was in charge then was a right condescending bitch, tried to get out of it but we couldn't.

my friends who lived next door got caught by security having a huge water fight which destroyed the carpet and they weren't fined a cent. grrr.

they'll fine you for anything, its all about money for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

the security guards in uu jordanstown are exactly the same but u only get fined about 40 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

I repeatedly left campus at like 2 or 3 in the morning, was never stopped. Although I did find out that one of the gaurds thought I was a resident, might have been why...

Advertisement