Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gloves for the winter

Options
  • 20-09-2007 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

So, I'm starting to get my winter gear in order and I need a new pair of fingerfull(as opposed to fingerless) gloves.

What would be a good brand to get? Normally get stuff from wiggle, but it'd be great if anyone can suggest a cheaper alternative(Don't live any near Dublin, and don't intend on being anywhere near Dublin - so suggestions of shops in Dublin won't work for me!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I got these and they are quite good...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8993

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

IMO, if the money is avail, you need 2 pairs of gloves for the winter if you're doing big miles.

The neoprene variety, which act like a wet suit, your hands warm the soaked gloves and they're toasty. But if it's a dry cold day they're brutal. But one of those soaking wet days, couldn't be better.

But then those freezing cold days you need the wind proof variety. Light fabric.

But I'm struggling to find examples on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

King Raam wrote:

Waterproof and breatahble
    Windproof
    Snot wipe
    Finger grips
    Pressure point padding
    Charming!

I have worn just latex gloves under normal wool ones. Your hands sweat and it acts like a wetsuit holding a warm layer of moisture under the glove. If you just wear the latex it is surprisingly warm for the thickness, and you have more control on the bike. YOu can get big black heavy duty marigolds too, might be big enough to fit over normal wool gloves, and tight enough to compress the wool down so they are thin- again giving more control on brakes & gears.

some huge discounts on CRC http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=224&CurrentPageIndex=0&SortExpression=PRICE_ASC
    better snap up a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I must say I find a lot of gloves make my hands feel like flippers. Is there such a thing as a trim, close-fitting pair? My definition of that is a pair of gloves that lets you take change out of your trouser pockets without having to remove them (the gloves, not the trousers).
    rubadub wrote:
    Charming!

I have worn just latex gloves under normal wool ones. Your hands sweat and it acts like a wetsuit holding a warm layer of moisture under the glove. If you just wear the latex it is surprisingly warm for the thickness, and you have more control on the bike. YOu can get big black heavy duty marigolds too, might be big enough to fit over normal wool gloves, and tight enough to compress the wool down so they are thin- again giving more control on brakes & gears.

some huge discounts on CRC http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=224&CurrentPageIndex=0&SortExpression=PRICE_ASC
    better snap up a pair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

rubadub wrote:
    Charming!
    Vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

daymobrew wrote:
    Windproof: http://www.bikedock.com/posit/shop/productinfo.php?partno=GTSTRETCH&srcwind=%2Fposit%2Fshop%2Fmanfstk.php%3Fmanf%3DALTURA
    I have a pair very like the windproof ones. They work well until it gets really cold.
    I have a pair of these exact ones. Keep me toasty all the time. They're actually the most opposite of waterproof that a pair of gloves could possibly be though, so if you don't have a warm radiator to dry them, they can stay wet for up to three days :(
    If you get a run of dry weather, they also start to smell very quickly from sweat and need to be washed.
    They're great though very comfy and don't make your hands "like flippers" :D. I even had a pretty nasty tarmac spill with these and my hand and the glove came out unscathed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

What I'd like to know is what is the very best solution to keep your hands toasty in winter ? Assos Glove liners with Assos winter gloves perhaps ? Anyone any idea's? Money no object, functionality is more important. Braved it out with some Altura's last winter and it wasn't a problem because I was seriously ill most winter and missed nearly all the cold weather, but this year I want the best - no excuses when the weather turns bad !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i was up in cycle superstore today and bought a piar of alura gloves and a hat

im looking for some winter kit base layer, bib tights and jacket, was thinking of going for assos is it worth the money??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Quigs Snr wrote:
    What I'd like to know is what is the very best solution to keep your hands toasty in winter ? Assos Glove liners with Assos winter gloves perhaps ? Anyone any idea's? Money no object, functionality is more important. Braved it out with some Altura's last winter and it wasn't a problem because I was seriously ill most winter and missed nearly all the cold weather, but this year I want the best - no excuses when the weather turns bad !

Janey, I don't know. I've got a pair of those Altura's and spent half my winter rides feeling too warm in them. Then again, I don't seem to feel the cold as much as others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

How about a pair of sealskinz brand gloves combined with a liner on a cold day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

I went for these ones.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8995

and this balaclava

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9324

I had a loan of big motorbike gloves but they were not that warm- hopefully the sealskinz will be good, I got the sealskinz socks and they are very breathable.

I must say I find a lot of gloves make my hands feel like flippers. Is there such a thing as a trim, close-fitting pair?
    This is probably the best bet. I was thinking of them but I wanted something really warm.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17197

Cheers for that. Can't help wondering what they mean by this, though:

"Terry Thumb: for various personal hygiene activities"

(Who's Terry Thumb? He sounds like a sinister Beatrix Potter character...)
    ruprect wrote:

This is probably the best bet. I was thinking of them but I wanted something really warm.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17197

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Cheers for that. Can't help wondering what they mean by this, though:

for wiping snot off your face :)

or is it something else :O

Could be. Or else it's just for those cold, constipated winter mornings (...?)
    King Raam wrote:
    for wiping snot off your face :)

or is it something else :O

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I got these Cannondale "3 Season" gloves recently which have a bit of flexibility there with an extra cover you can roll over the fingers. Tried them this morning and worked well but not sure how water resistant they are.

I also have Altura Thermastretch gloves which look like neoprene but I don't think they actually are. Personally I found them useless if it is cold and wet, your fingers get wet and then very painfully cold.

That is the more polite version of "Snot wipe" as described in the other gloves.

Terry is a type of material, you get terry socks or towel, the ones that look like millions of little loops of soft thread on the outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Am I the only person who uses penny's €3 gloves for the winter?!!!! Poifect! (not waterproof though!:confused: )

Ah yeah, I know. Terylene. I were only avin a birrova larf.
    rubadub wrote:
    That is the more polite version of "Snot wipe" as described in the other gloves.

Terry is a type of material, you get terry socks or towel, the ones that look like millions of little loops of soft thread on the outside.

That's what I currently use and they're fine. They actually fit pretty snugly, which I like, and who cares if your hands get wet on a commute? My hands are relatively water resistant.

Only trouble with the Penney's gloves is they're not very durable.
    cunnins4 wrote:
    Am I the only person who uses penny's €3 gloves for the winter?!!!! Poifect! (not waterproof though!:confused: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Fabio

There are cycling gloves going to be avaliable in Aldi on Thursday the 27th of September.

I think they are terrytex or else neoprene. They seem to be the job for cycling and I am thinking of picking up a pair myself as they are only about six euro (I could be wrong but they are in or around this mark).

Check www.aldi.ie for more details on them.

Fabio wrote:
    There are cycling gloves going to be avaliable in Aldi on Thursday the 27th of September.

I think they are terrytex or else neoprene. They seem to be the job for cycling and I am thinking of picking up a pair myself as they are only about six euro (I could be wrong but they are in or around this mark).

Check www.aldi.ie for more details on them.

http://www.aldi.ie/special_buys/product_3916.html

€5

Advertisement