Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

multilple lnbs

• 20-09-2007 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

hey
    i have a sat dish (80cm) pointed to 13E at the moment
    what id like to do is have other lnbs which would allow me to get 28 and 16 in a way also that wouldnt not imply changin the whole dish( i was thinking a change at the lnb holder perhaps)
    does any1 have any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

There are brackets one can get fo fit oto the end of the dish arm and mount the LNB's on although most of the ones Ive come across have been flimsy and/or fiddly to set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Best to get new dish with appropriate Multiple LNB holder, if you are trying for 3 Sats then a DIY will be quite difficult to align...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭pelisor2000

j4vier wrote:
    hey
    i have a sat dish (80cm) pointed to 13E at the moment
    what id like to do is have other lnbs which would allow me to get 28 and 16 in a way also that wouldnt not imply changin the whole dish( i was thinking a change at the lnb holder perhaps)
    does any1 have any ideas?
    hi i can do the job.and i have all you need for Hotbirt 13E..astra 28E..eutelsat 16E!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

i know it would be best to get a whole new thing but its kinda tricky at the mo.thx pelisor but im looking to get it done myself, i just need to know where is best to get the part if its a realistic option at least

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well, from experience, an 80cm is too small for reliable reception of Eutelsat W2. A 1m dish would be preferable.

Also, with 16E and 13E so close together, you're gonna need LNB's with very narrow feedhorns, to get them close enough together. I think Triax have ones specifically made for their mulit-LNB arm.

Do you know what make the dish you have is?

• Advertisement

j4vier wrote:
    i know it would be best to get a whole new thing but its kinda tricky at the mo.thx pelisor but im looking to get it done myself, i just need to know where is best to get the part if its a realistic option at least
    gest tell me wath you need and i give you a price...and delivery to your door.!! (dublin area)

byte

If you continue to pimp your services here, you'll be banned.
    gest tell me wath you need and i give you a price...and delivery to your door.!! (dublin area)

byte wrote:
    If you continue to pimp your services here, you'll be banned.
    ok! sorry

sorry byte
    no unfortunately i dont know the make , its just plain white
    not a good sign in terms of compatibily.. but i was thinking some sort of adjustable arm existed
    also i wouldnt be interested in eutelast w2, just 13,16 and 28 e will do me!
    could u point me with a link towards a type of dish that will do the job?

j4vier wrote:
    sorry byte
    no unfortunately i dont know the make , its just plain white
    not a good sign in terms of compatibily.. but i was thinking some sort of adjustable arm existed
    could u point me with a link towards a type of dish that will do the job?
    1m dish will be ok..what you wanth on 16E albanian ch?

• Advertisement
    byte

j4vier wrote:

Uhm, Eutelsat W2 IS at 16E! I am now thinking that you mean 19E (Astra 1, many German channels etc) as opposed to 16E (W2)?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Not that difficult to install, I have 13 and 19 off a monoblock, not sure about more than 2 LNBs.
    there are brackets as the lads said though

sorry byte i made a bit of confusion there
    i tought w2 standed for the postion and w for west! fool me

anyway ye i confirm 16 for the albanian channels pelisor.

i dunno any good sat shop in dublin so would try the online way if possible.
    im prob better off buyin a new dish with a 3 lnb holder at the same time,
    at least i know it will work.

how come will i need a 1m dish for 16e tough?

i can get 13e with an 80 cm so if 16e is even closer the dish shouldnt be larger! or am i missin something

byte

16E is weaker than 13E basically. Signal quality on an 80cm will be hit and miss when it rains.

If you're upgrading dish, I recommend the Triax TD110, and multi-lnb holder. Inverto LNB's are quite small and have a smaller feedhorn than some others. Otherwise maybe the Alps LNB's which were sold with the Triax multi-lnb kit (had 4 LNB's, arm, and DiSEqC switch)

thx byte
    i already found that model on ebay, looks like i ll go for that
    thx a mill for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Just as an aside, I'm out of touch with prices, how big is the saving on a 4 lnb setup compared with an entry level motorised system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Hagar wrote:
    Just as an aside, I'm out of touch with prices, how big is the saving on a 4 lnb setup compared with an entry level motorised system?

I'd have thought that unless you went with a 36v motor, there was no savings to going with a 4 lnb setup. A diseq motor is same price as 3 lnb's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

That's what I was thinking. I think the OP has passed the break-even point for going to a motorized system. Ok a lot of people don't hold Diseq motors in much esteem but TBH for hobbyists I think you get good value out of them. I'd go for one before spending a lot of money on a 4 LNB setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭stevethesatguy

a motorised system is easier to set up than a 3 or 4 lnb setup on one dish not too much difference in price either

regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I suppose the advantage of multi lnb setup as opposed to motor is fact that you can wire different rooms in house - and each user can switch themselves.

For this reason, I am thinking of switching to multi lnb also. I've found that with the motor, i know longer have any fascination in picking up bizarre sats - theres enough regular viewing to be had between 13/16/19/28.

So Inverto or Alps LNBs then? I would prefer to have the ability to feed 5 rooms but i suppose i will have to stick with quad lnbs feeding 4.

Does anyone have recommendations on which diseqc switches to use?

Is the Triax TD110 with multi holder better than the Wavefrontier?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

The original poster may be interested in this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Multifeed-Triple-LNB-Holder-Universal-3-Sats-on-1-Dish_W0QQitemZ130073895032QQihZ003QQcategoryZ29783QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Would be useful for someone with a plain dish and arm, like the Lidl outfit. Just leave your original LNB in it's original holder, attach the centre holder to this original LNB, then add any additional LNBs to the outer holders. You can then adjust the outer LNBs in all 3 planes. You can also reverse/flip any holder to fit either 40mm or 23mm diameter LNBs. If you search on eBay, you can also see double holders and alloy material instead of PVC.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dude66

Hi guys,
    I live in Clifden and opted for a Triax multiblock lnb holder with 4 lnb disceq switch as the wind in the last few years broke 3 of my HtoH motors.
    The 1.1 triax dish is on the roof.
    So this is my question. Has anyone managed to get 28,19,13deg east and 1 deg west?? If yes what sat shoudl I fix my dish? It is at 19deg east at the moment.
    Thank you.
    Dude66:D

byte

dude66 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I live in Clifden and opted for a Triax multiblock lnb holder with 4 lnb disceq switch as the wind in the last few years broke 3 of my HtoH motors.
    The 1.1 triax dish is on the roof.
    So this is my question. Has anyone managed to get 28,19,13deg east and 1 deg west?? If yes what sat shoudl I fix my dish? It is at 19deg east at the moment.
    Thank you.
    Dude66:D
    I see 1 West is going to be very low gain, even with the LNB at dead centre, let alone offset to one side.

Is it Thor 2/3 you're after, or Intelsat 10-02? Both are at 1°W

The Nordic beams particularly will be awkward.
    http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/thor2.html

Intelsat 10-02 Spot 1 has the best gain for here, I'd say
    http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/intel1002_spot1.html

http://www.lyngsat.com/1west.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

7E or 10E to 28E is absolute max range on a normal dish with bracket. You can get 5W to 28E on a Wavefrontier T90, but 90cm is only big enough for a handful of FTA channels on 1W.

If the regular dish was centred on 1W (since it is poorest) you would get 5W, 1W, 5E and many but not all 13E as it would be 14 degree off Axis. Normally the very strong Sky (28E ) is only 9 to 10 degree off axis on a 13E, 19E, 28E multisat setup. Hotbird is weaker.

Advertisement