Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making some SHERBET!

• 20-09-2007 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

I fancy making some sherbet.

I can get the baking soda, icing sugar, and flavourings locally easily but I haven`t seen citric or tartaric acid anywhere. Does anyone have a local source for these? Fizztastic! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Try your local chemist. They will most likely have citric acid, not sure about tartaric though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Pretty sure i've seen it in the asian market off georges street too.
    THe citric i mean, not the tartaric...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pretty sure i've seen it in the asian market off georges street too.
    THe citric i mean, not the tartaric...
    Yes most asian markets have it, in big 200/500g bags & cheap. chemists are usually a ripoff. It is used in sweet & sour dishes.

Another place is homebrew supply stores, there are a few online, only a few in dublin now, it is usually health stores that double up as homebrew places, like country cellar in dun laoghaire.

Citirc acid is also used to descale kettles, it should be foodgrade but sometimes can have other additives. I imagine you could get it cheap on ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Cheers lads, i`ll have a look in some of the oriental food stores around the place so ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

Gosh that sounds great. I never even thought of making Sherbet before. Let us know how you get on. Whats the recipe as a matter of interest???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Gosh that sounds great. I never even thought of making Sherbet before. Let us know how you get on. Whats the recipe as a matter of interest???

I was looking at this page just for starters. I only got the idea for making sherbet after a discussion with a friend about how hard it is to get really really sour fizzy sweets and were talking about lacing some of our own with citric acid and sugar, then realised how easy/and cheap it should be to make some sherbet.

Should be fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I've been known to sniff sherbert on occasions, when drink has been taken, (it's hilarious!). I wonder if you sniffed homegrown sherbert would it be purer? I think you experiment at report back!

Advertisement