Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on new build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

I'd change the PSU for a corsair HX620, a bit more power and much quiter. I don't like Thermaltake Cases, but that's just a personal thing I suppose. Everything else looks great. All the 8800GTX's are the same so you're right to go with the cheapest unless you wanted evga's step-up or XFX double lifetime warranty etc. Finally do you plan on overclocking? (It's a crime if you don't with all that killer hardware TBH) if so invest in a good cpu cooler namely the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and maybe an aftermarket GFX cooler if you want something a little better/quiter than the stock cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Thanks for the reply
    nibble wrote:
    I'd change the PSU for a corsair HX620, a bit more power and much quiter. I don't like Thermaltake Cases, but that's just a personal thing I suppose. Everything else looks great.

Ok, I think I'l go for the HX620.

I don't really care what case I get so long as it has good airflow. I went for the thermal take one because it has so many fans. But it seems a little expensive for a case. Can you recommend a good quality case at a lower price?
    nibble wrote:
    Finally do you plan on overclocking? (It's a crime if you don't with all that killer hardware TBH) if so invest in a good cpu cooler namely the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and maybe an aftermarket GFX cooler if you want something a little better/quiter than the stock cooler.

I def will be doing some overclocking but not until it gets old. So I'm gonna get the cooler some other time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

have a stacker 831 myself for a similar system with 6 120mm fans including psu fan bit noisy but keeps a Q6600 temps in the mid 20s and the xfx ultra 612m in the mid 40s both idle love this case :D
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=330958
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335338

DSC00273.jpg
    DSC00305.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

620 watt for quad and an ultra? will that be enough?

What psu do you have grim?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

I just build a new system yesterday and used the abit pro. good board so far but havent really done much with it yet. some points to take into consideration:

if youre using a long thick card like a gtx (not sure if the ultra is the same size as gtx or gts) the firewire header connections will be right under the card so connecting off mobo firewire ports is unlikely.

the ide connector is also under the card just at the end of it. you could still use it but its a tight squeeze. All my drives and writers are sata so i didnt use it.

the 8 pin mobo power connector is at the very top of the board so if youre psu mounts at the bottom of the case make sure the lead is long enough to reach or get and extension.

I cooled my cpu with the thermalright 120 extreme and a 120mm fan on it. In an antec 900 case its idling at 29c.

Bare in mind if youre thinking of changing to the 120 later, theres a support bracket that has to be attached to the BACK of the mobo so when installing it youll have to remove the mobo from the case completely.

• Advertisement

dazftw wrote:

i have a 700w but thats overkill tbh (unless u want to go sli) a 620 should do fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 blade_2

Hey, anyone have a Pentium 4 CPU 478 socket for sale?
    mkaidaka@gmail.com if you have any to sell. Thanks folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Grim. wrote:
    have a stacker 831 myself for a similar system with 6 120mm fans including psu fan bit noisy but keeps a Q6600 temps in the mid 20s and the xfx ultra 612m in the mid 40s both idle love this case :D
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=330958
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335338

DSC00273.jpg
    DSC00305.jpg

mid 20's for a Q6600 on the stock cooler, thats impossible. Watercooling wont even keep that chip at 20c. Im guessing you are not using the right program to read temps. Use coretemp, just make sure its using the 100c tjuntcion. If its at 85c add 15c onto whatever it reads.

non oc'd and have tried numerous appi to test core temp

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

dazftw wrote:

Should be fine, people overate how much power 8800's draw. I wouldn't do sli with one though.

Something cheaper, Kevo? I love Lian-Li and Silverstone cases but they sure aren't cheaper ;) .

• Advertisement
Advertisement