Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halo 3 - Hugely disappointing?

• 20-09-2007 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

Just played the single player for about 2 hours,

And i have to say i am hugely disappointed.

Maybe its because I was building it up so much but man it just seems so mediocre.

Nothing new from the last two, and it doesnt even look much better than Halo 2.

Some of the textures are simply shocking, it looks awful compared to some recent 360 titles.

Anyway,

I hope the multiplayer will make up for this, should be fun on Live! but single player, so far anyway, has really been a let down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭guest

Hope I have a differing opinion on this game because it was the main reason I dished out on a 360 in the first place! I'm not expecting anything revolutionary in terms of gameplay---just something that ties off all the loose ends nicely and allows me to blow lots of sh1t up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

WellyJ wrote:
    Some of the textures are simply shocking, it looks awful compared to some recent 360 titles.

Really? Feckit, given how much bloody time they've been working on it that's unforgivable :( .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

The lighting is gorgeous, and the water effects and animation are all top notch,

But the textures really get to me, they look really stretched and blocky.

I mean it doesnt look BAD but just not what most people will be expecting I think.

All the talk about the Beta being a watered down version of what the Campaign will look like seems to have been balls.

It looks pretty much the exact same as the MP Beta did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

This is a game that I've been waiting to play for way too long. If it's bad, I'm going to have no option but to default to Sony.

Is it actually a bad game or just worse than you expected?

It's not bad no,

Its just not what i hoped for.

I enjoyed 1 and 2 but find myself not really enjoying this.

Like I said, maybe multiplayer will change that.

• Advertisement

johnnyflav wrote:
    If it's bad, I'm going to have no option but to default to Sony.

[bangs head on wall] :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

johnnyflav wrote:
    If it's bad, I'm going to have no option but to default to Sony.

It can never be that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I dunno, but I'd rather play a bad Halo than...umm...can't think of any games on the PS3

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

chrislad wrote:
    I dunno, but I'd rather play a bad Halo than...umm...can't think of any games on the PS3

its pretty much the xbox 360 launch lineup innit?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Have to agree about Halo. Played it for a few hours and not one bit impressed with it.

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote:

Actually,

I'm amazed that I am actually typing this,

but,

I prefer Resistance to this.

And by a distance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Ouch:eek:

Looking forward to playing it all the same, was never really expecting it to be amazing. I thought Halo was amazing though, hated every FPS before playing that one.

Then again it's getting harder for me to judge what is good and what is not (by the norm standards anyway). I prefered Blue Dragon over Bioshock. Bioshock was a good game to be sure but wouldn't rate it as GOTY.

Yeh I was ultimately disappointed with Bioshock also,

Great game, but didn't live up to my expectations,

Blue Dragon is great yeh. Just wish I was out of work so I could really get into it :)

Hmmm... how to get fired ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Had a chance to play the first level earlier and loved it. Its back to the Halo 1 glory days. A few low res textures here and there, nothing that ruins the game but the levels are huge with a lot going on in them, there has to be some trade off. Animation, sounds, cinematics, water, character design, lighting etc are all fantastic. Resistance can't touch this.

You're looking through rose tinted glasses if you think this looks like Halo 2 btw.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    You're looking through rose tinted glasses if you think this looks like Halo 2 btw.

Usually people say that to point out bias, when I have no bias towards or against this game.

I have all three current gen systems and have no bias towards the PS3, in fact it has been sitting in the corner keeping the rest of my sitting room dust free for the last month.

I liked 1 and 2 and was really looking forward to this.

And stop throwing out silly clichés like "Character Design",

What part of the "Character Design" impressed you?

There is nothing different from the 2nd game,

I already said the lighting and water effects and animation were nice.

But this needs more, I was amazed when i loaded up Halo back in the Xbox days,

This had nowhere near the same impression on me.

To be honest I think you are wearing the rose tinted glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Jonakin

Is this game out or is everyone talking aobut the beta?

Jonakin wrote:
    Is this game out or is everyone talking aobut the beta?

Argos messed up and sold a load of them before release date,

Not out until 25th i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

26th official European release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Never mentioned bias, I loved the first one and didn't enjoy the second one at all, never even finished it. Had low expectations for this one and my PS3 is currently doing the same. Although I was very dissapointed that it doesn't actually attract dust from everywhere in my room, just its general area :/

I was drawn in with this one like I was with the orignial, which is what made it special for me. I want to know where the story goes, what happens MC and what happens Cortana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

at least some people have to complain.finnish it and then come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

Hi all

Just want to say that this game is probaly going to be the death of its own success (ive no idea what that means) haha

Microsoft have just being hyping this up since the Xbox 360 was launched - telling us how great its going to be and blah blah blah in order to sell a few more 360s - and ive no doubt that it will work but the game itself can never live up to the hype
    Im sure everyone will be complaining bout it being bland or whatever but can someone please tell me what they were expecting that would make this game "the chosen one"

I personnally am looking forward to PES 2008 more but ill still go out and buy this to have a go - ive only ever played the halo a few times nd never the second one ha.

doyler442 wrote:
    Hi all

Just want to say that this game is probaly going to be the death of its own success (ive no idea what that means) haha

ive only ever played the halo a few times nd never the second one ha.

Dude - have you been at the sherry or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Jonakin

WellyJ wrote:
    Argos messed up and sold a load of them before release date,

Not out until 25th i think
    Are they still selling them? Where did everyone get them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

Jonakin wrote:
    Are they still selling them? Where did everyone get them?
    It was a screw up in Argos in England. I will have the game soon enough. I will let ye know what I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I want to know where the story goes

My prediction, up its own arse leaving everyone scratching their heads. Another Marathon Infinity type head**** FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Helix wrote:
    its pretty much the xbox 360 launch lineup innit?:p

PS3 launch has come and gone nearly 10 months ago, and nary a decent title since Resistance to be seen. Within the same time period, after launch, the 360 had Fight Night 3, GRAW, Burnout Revenge, Oblivion, Tomb Raider Legend, Battlefield 2, Table Tennis, Hitman 3, Prey, Dead Rising, Enchanted Arms, Lego Star Wars 2, Test Drive Unlimited and the various Arcade titles and EA franchises, and I'm going for the exact same time period (November launch to September the following year), plus I'm only picking decent games, from my own opinion.

I had a PS3, and I sold it on because it was just an expensive dust collector. The majority of the time it was on, it was used as a Blu-Ray player, which is excellent, but I wanted more from a games console. Regardless of which you prefer, it's fairly hard to disagree that Sony have seriously messed up their releases for the console. The ONLY game I have any interest on for the PS3 is Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and I've no need for that as NG Black plays fine on my 360.

Anywho, back on topic. I'm kinda looking forward to it. I'm sure graphics will be fine. People were probably just expecting GoW realism, when it's not that type of game.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I played it last night for a while.

I had no expectations and so far I think its very decent. The graphics arent as good as GOW but I wasnt exepcting them to be.

I had bioschock for a while and didnt like that but having played both games for the same amount of time I'd go Halo all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

WellyJ wrote:

I prefer Resistance to this.

And by a distance

Resistance is ****in awful, and I tried to like it.....

I completely disagree with ya, but as a Halo nut you'd expect that, theres loads of stuff in it thats new and deadly, it doesnt exactly re-invent the FPS but theres a lot of lovely ideas in it, we had a few local multiplayer games last night and some of the maps were really good, and theres loads of weapons that werent in the beta.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

the one thing I really enjoyed about the Halo series was how polished the games were. Great level design and not a bug to be seen.

How does Halo 3 compare to the other two in terms of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I can not understand the hype and the big deal made about the Halo series. For me they are nothing more than mediocre FPS's. The first was ok, I got bored of Halo2 (sp) and gave up half way through. The only good thing about the series is the story but the enemies are not in anyway interesting looking or original. Master Chief is not that great a character, pretty shallow character development and he looks pretty crap too. I have an Xbox 360 and love it but I find GOW to be a lot more enjoyable. I will admit though that I have not played Halo 2 Multiplayer yet so my opinion may change if I do.

Advertisement