Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halo 3 - Hugely disappointing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Any info on whether it's region-free? Might see if I can
    pick up a cheap version on play-asia.

(I'm guessing as Argos are the only outlet that broke
    the release date, any confirmation would be just for
    the European PAL version).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

quarryman wrote:
    Great level design and not a bug to be seen.

Great level design? How about the Library or the Library MK2 some of the worst level design ever in a video game. Also most of the levels are just small rooms attached to samey corridors that constantly repeat. The odd time you get some nice open levels and the game really shines but they are too few and punctuated by more boring corridor levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I have to say, I feel its more like Halo 1 then 2, but its just really polished....

Heres a lil first impressions thingy I wrote :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055153775

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Fieldog wrote:
    I have to say, I feel its more like Halo 1 then 2, but its just really polished....

Heres a lil first impressions thingy I wrote :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055153775

Cheers for that. I expect that this game, like any other big release, will divide opinion widely. Let's face it, you either love Halo or you hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

I came late to Halo and played 1 & 2 in quick succession which was great fun, if its more like Halo 1 then I'll be happier.

I think its gonna be a long time till something blows me away like GOW did.... i suspect its gonna be UR3 , until then Im hopeful that Halo 3 provides a good conclusion in terms of the story line, is relatively fluid, by all accounts so far it seems to be .Above all I really hope it isnt monotonous. I think the point about the samey collidors etc is very valid and certain pionts in Halo 2 I was bored outta me skull.

Interesting to see comparisons made to Bioshock, to me its a very different type of game / atmosphere but in direct graphic comparison I think Bioshock has the edge , Im basing this solely on what Ive seen in Halo 3 beta.. which I thought was a bit meh. Im hopeful storyline and game play are what make this the great title we hope for , good graphics should be a given Im not expecting any mind blowing advancements and just aswell eh?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Great level design? How about the Library or the Library MK2 some of the worst level design ever in a video game. Also most of the levels are just small rooms attached to samey corridors that constantly repeat. The odd time you get some nice open levels and the game really shines but they are too few and punctuated by more boring corridor levels.

I remember that, ****e level, and in mk2 u just went up floors, same thing, hence I dont play campaign, period!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

anybody got any pics of the campagn graphics knocking around at all?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Yes it is region free if anyone is interested in ordering from Play Asia

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Do most people really give a toss about the campaign mode?

I have GOW and R6V sitting at home unfinished, as every time I turn on the 360 all I want to do is put Halo 2 in the tray and go live.

Next Wed I intend to play campaign only to get used to the weapons before jumping straight online to get my ass kicked. :eek:

I do. I'm a fan of the franchise and I like playing the campaigns they give the full story when combined with the books. I'm just finishing up the campaign on Halo 2 at the moment to get ready for Halo 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Jonakin

Does anyone know if the PAL version is region free for a NTSC-J?
    Also play.com have them in stock has anyone tried buying it yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

can't speak for most people but i always play the campaign mode in my games , don't get me wrong i love the mp side of things but a good game campaign and story is more satisfying to me than the spray and pray mp , and that's what i love about the halo games.

since i got the first xbox and played my first xbox game " halo " i have loved the story / campaign mode and i'm going to finish the story / campaign before i play the mp side of the game , although i have to wait until i get my 360 back :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Do most people really give a toss about the campaign mode?:eek:

Thats all I play most games for, plus I can't stand the Halo online community.
    Just give me the campaign mode, finish, play Mass Effect and then bring on CoD4 mp, thats where its at:cool:.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,699 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Em yes? Id consider myself primarily an offline player. A decent online mode is usually just an added bonus / value for money for me (see: Gears of War, the only game I have really gotten into online).

Halo multiplayer is great fun for parties and the like, but an often unlikable online community does ruin it for me (I suppose playing online with friends is another option). But yeah, thats why I don't really 'get' Halo - mediocre campaigns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

To be honest I hope halo 3 is a return to the orginal rather than that sham of a second game never played halo 2 online so am a bit biased but played the beta online thought it was good crac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

HALO 3 probably will be good in MP but single player is atrocious. The first 10 minutes are an indistinct wander in a semi-dark mire aiming pointless weapons and small spites in the distance whilst your teammates wander around and shoot things. It's almost unplayable (in terms of a Single Player gaming experience) - as training for MP fine.

Compared to the Single player experience that Bioshock gives you, let's say that genuinely deserves 9/10 despite some 'easyness' reservations, then on *that* scale Halo 3 and a single player game gets about 4/10 from me.

I know that H3 was never going to be bioshock - but c'mon they could at least have tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Four player co-op will be awesome. Think Gears co-op times ten! Or two, whatever. I really enjoyed the previous two Halo campaign modes, so I'm hoping the new one will be similar. And I find the online Halo community irritating too, but I doubt it'll stop me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

pH wrote:
    HALO 3 probably will be good in MP but single player is atrocious. The first 10 minutes are an indistinct wander in a semi-dark mire aiming pointless weapons and small spites in the distance whilst your teammates wander around and shoot things. It's almost unplayable (in terms of a Single Player gaming experience) - as training for MP fine.

For me the first 10 minutes were a bit unsatisfying and I was getting worried but it grows on you (like Halo 1 did for me). Some of the battles about 1 - 2 hours into the game are great. It seems a lot harder than Halos 1 & 2. The brutes are a lot stronger this time around.

One thing thats really annoying is the odd flash to Cortana as she pops up and says something pretty random. I could do without that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

One thing thats really annoying is the odd flash to Cortana as she pops up and says something pretty random. I could do without that.

Poor lad is having a nervous breakdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

.....and here come the reviews

Currentlly sitting on a 97/100 mark from four reviews at metacritic - clicky

Gamespy and Gamespot are up & are usually fair enough review sites but I'll wait on IGN & Eurogamer.

But 97/100 off the bat is more than encouraging!

Edit - Fookin Hell, 10/10 on Eurogamer!! They gave both Halo 1 & 2 8/10 each!!!

Now I'm really excited!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

A-Trak wrote:
    .....and here come the reviews

Currentlly sitting on a 97/100 mark from four reviews at metacritic - clicky

Gamespy and Gamespot are up & are usually fair enough review sites but I'll wait on IGN & Eurogamer.

But 97/100 off the bat is more than encouraging!

Edit - Fookin Hell, 10/10 on Eurogamer!! They gave both Halo 1 & 2 8/10 each!!!

Now I'm really excited!!!!

Fook, got goosepimples when i seen the eurogamer score :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

You shoot bad guys, and that's it. If that's all you want to do, Halo 3 is perfect, or as near to damned perfect as this kind of game is going to get. For those who preferred the more cerebral moments of the likes of Half-Life 2 or Bioshock, though... Well, caveat emptor.

There is a moment late in the game, when the Master Chief wryly states that his escape plan from a tough spot is to "shoot my way out - just for a change", when the irony may cut a little close to the bone for some players. But just as you wouldn't criticise football for being too focused on kicking a ball, it's not valid to complain that Halo is too focused on shooting aliens.

Suits you sir and thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Niceeeeeeee.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Ign gave it 9.5.........cant wait for it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Holy crap... I was planning on maybe buying this some time next year. very tempted to pick it up on launch day now after EG's review...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

its fun, but not really groundbreaking

certainly ive seen nothing to warrant those kind of review scores so far in it anyway

How good is the sound, in particular Marty O'Donnells score? [for those that have it already]

Loved the first two albums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Hgelix wrote:
    certainly ive seen nothing to warrant those kind of review scores so far in it anyway

Not that you will in the future either Helix but bear in mind all these guys are professional journalists and do this for a living and more importantly, have had the game for about 3 weeks, so are looking at all aspects and not just campaign etc.

(I'm assuming you've actually played the game from your post.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

kaimera wrote:
    How good is the sound, in particular Marty O'Donnells score? [for those that have it already]

Loved the first two albums.
    From what I heard its just like the first soundtrack. Didn't hear any wailing guitars. NPC speech samples sound fantastic aswell, they all feel organic and play in reaction to what going on around them.

• Advertisement

Cool. thanks Ciaran.

Now to play the waiting game...

Advertisement