Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halo 3 - Hugely disappointing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

halo is all about the multiplayer imo, there has never being a great fps game with an amazing storyline since something like half life 2, lets be frank, fps is about shooting **** up, and thats best done online.

Its amazingly fun online and thats what gna make or break halo 3, unfortunatly not its single player.

I didnt really touch single player halo 2, all i know is that it had a **** ending, i dont care, multiplayer is so much fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

A-Trak wrote:
    (I'm assuming you've actually played the game from your post.)

yup, now granted ive only had it since today like

but at the end of the day its an fps with nothing new or innovative about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Teamxbox review up,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

halo is all about the multiplayer imo, there has never being a great fps game with an amazing storyline since something like half life 2, lets be frank, fps is about shooting **** up, and thats best done online.

Its amazingly fun online and thats what gna make or break halo 3, unfortunatly not its single player.

I didnt really touch single player halo 2, all i know is that it had a **** ending, i dont care, multiplayer is so much fun.

Half Life 1 tbh. Only for Ep:1, HL2 would have be way down that peckig order. Bioshock more recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Limited edition preordered... funny how easily a review score on EG can sway my opinion:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Funny indeed. Was just plotting a 3.30 exodus out of the lab on tuesday to Smyths after reading the EG review. The new wireless router should be arriving tomorrow as well so will be able to finally get on xbox live as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'm still skeptical. The previous games got equally good reviews and it didn't stop them being crap. And I think it says a lot when the difference in score on Metacritic between Halo 2 xbox and Halo 2 PC is a good 30% - the review scores dropped sharply when Microsoft stopped pumping money into the hype machine, funny that.

Still, the co-op is always fun so I'm sure I'll play through it and see what all the fuss is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

To day I was shocked at the EG review is an understatement. In the airort at the moment waiting to go off on holidays. DAMN:mad: Should be waiting for me when I get home though. Can't wait to get this on Live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

4 player co op is making me wet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

steviec wrote:
    I'm still skeptical. The previous games got equally good reviews and it didn't stop them being crap. And I think it says a lot when the difference in score on Metacritic between Halo 2 xbox and Halo 2 PC is a good 30% - the review scores dropped sharply when Microsoft stopped pumping money into the hype machine, funny that.

Still, the co-op is always fun so I'm sure I'll play through it and see what all the fuss is about.

I think, judging from those scores it's quite possible that either the hype or bags with dollar signs on them have played a part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

steviec wrote:
    Or maybe the game is great for a console FPS but pales in comparison to the PC competition?

Also I played the first Halo on the PC and the controls felt horrible, like most console to PC ports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

steviec wrote:

No, the review scores dropped for the PC version because it was a half assed port of a 3 year old game, not because the hype machine stopped rolling.
    Halo 1 is still a classic sci fi shooter, despite what some people think it set the bar for shooters back then with a great story, and some nice touches (one of the first fps's i ever saw that used proper physics) the regenerating shield that 90% of all fps's copy nowadays...its a great series, and im really looking forward to wednesday now that i have the day off, im even more hyped now thanks to the EG 10 :D
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    Or maybe the game is great for a console FPS but pales in comparison to the PC competition?

Is that a joke? Yeah kb and mouse is a better control scheme but this last year has hardly been something to brag about for pc fps's players. I havent bought one game for the PC all year. Anything that was really good, e.g. bioshock was on 360 aswell. In fact the 360 had the lions share of the best games this last year, i havent played one game on PC this year that impressed me as much as gears of war did, put it that way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

0ubliette wrote:
    Is that a joke? Yeah kb and mouse is a better control scheme but this last year has hardly been something to brag about for pc fps's players. I havent bought one game for the PC all year. Anything that was really good, e.g. bioshock was on 360 aswell. In fact the 360 had the lions share of the best games this last year, i havent played one game on PC this year that impressed me as much as gears of war did, put it that way.

It's better to not go down that road on this thread. It'll just descend into PC Vs Console. There are valid (and stupid) arguments on either side and neither side will ever change their minds. Who really cares? Do whatever floats your boat.

It's better to not go down that road on this thread. It'll just descend into PC Vs Console. There are valid (and stupid) arguments on either side and neither side will ever change their minds. Who really cares? Do whatever floats your boat.

Aye too right...back to halo 3!

My collectors edition is currently "awaiting dispatch" from sendit.com. Hopefully they'll post it out soon or I might just have to go and grab it from xtravision on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Have people got this?
    My opinion is, people are raving about this for the last year and I have owned a 360 for 4 months now and have this prebooked (GAME in galway rang me yesterday to confirm). I havent played any of the other Halo games but looking forward to this. GAME in Galway are doing a midnight opening but I'll just get mine Wednesday. There is co-op single player yea? Now off to Wikipedia to learn more about the story of the previous games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Oooh I cant wait!

(Until everyone is online that is!)

Then ill let the game begin, ive only done the 1st mission on campaign!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Kanney wrote:
    b] There is co-op single player yea? [/b] Now off to Wikipedia to learn more about the story of the previous games.

There is 4 player co-op in the campaign.

So far its looking like it could beat Bioshock and have the highest review rating of the last god knows how many years. Currently 1 point ahead of Bioshock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Funny indeed. Was just plotting a 3.30 exodus out of the lab on tuesday to Smyths after reading the EG review. The new wireless router should be arriving tomorrow as well so will be able to finally get on xbox live as well.
    No offense retro but what happened to halo is the most over rated game ever and the biggest bloated piece of crap in the universe:D :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

God damn Microsoft hype machine.

Halo is overrated but it's far from terrible. Thought the first game was excellent until the Flood appeared. The second started well but descended into dull corridor levels after you left earth. The story and soundtrack were pure **** as well. The problem with Halo 2 was it made all the same mistakes as the first game but did them a whole lot worse (more dull corridor levels, much more of the terrible flood etc.).

What I'm hearing about Halo 3 is that it's much more about the big open levels where Halo excels, decent soundtrack but poor story. At least co-op is always a blast and always took a lot of the tedium out of the duller levels. I also wouldn't mind trying this game when I finally get hooked up to xbox live this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

...soundtrack were pure **** as well

Wrong. Marty O'Donnells score throughout both Halo 1 & 2 is brilliant.

Yeah man totally agree with you on halo 2.One question Why did you not like the flood they scared the **** out of me only 10 though:o :o .
    Well hopefully halo3 will be kick ass read a the reviews posted here but want to judge myself:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/games/finishing-the-fight-a-review-of-halo-3.ars

Arstechica review is up... graphics by no means crap, good but not class leading. Gameplay good but environments smaller than expected.

One question Why did you not like the flood they scared the **** out of me only 10 though:o :o

You go from fighting the covenant who still have some of the best AI in any FPS game and are great fun to fight to the flood who have the same AI seen in a 15 year old FPS game were all they do is run towards you taking the odd pot shot. They just aren't fun at all to kill especially compared to the covenant.

As for Marty O'Donells score, Halo 1 had a brillaint orchestral soundtrack. Halo 2 had a few good pieces but overall it was ruined by too many tracks featuring awful screechy guitars that only appeal to american teenagers that really should know better.

An orchestral score is always better for film and videogames unless it's totally over the top like Devil May Cry where you need just as over the top screeching guitars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

im new to 360 world (since july) having defaulted from PS2. (PS3 didnt convince me)

I only played halo once on a multiplayer demo on a PC. therefore i have no real expectation for halo 3 (which i pre-booked) Im only really interested in MP games on 360.

However the last week i have been playin COD4 beta and i have to say, halo 3 has alot to live up to!

once the gameplay is top class does it matter if the graphics aint A1 Sharon??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

A-Trak wrote:
    Not that you will in the future either Helix but bear in mind all these guys are professional journalists and do this for a living and more importantly, have had the game for about 3 weeks, so are looking at all aspects and not just campaign etc.

(I'm assuming you've actually played the game from your post.)

aye, heaven forbid a 'journalist' gives an overhyped game a high score

thats never happened, has it?

Retr0gamer wrote:
    You go from fighting the covenant who still have some of the best AI in any FPS game and are great fun to fight to the flood who have the same AI seen in a 15 year old FPS game were all they do is run towards you taking the odd pot shot. They just aren't fun at all to kill especially compared to the covenant.

As for Marty O'Donells score, Halo 1 had a brillaint orchestral soundtrack. Halo 2 had a few good pieces but overall it was ruined by too many tracks featuring awful screechy guitars that only appeal to american teenagers that really should know better.

An orchestral score is always better for film and videogames unless it's totally over the top like Devil May Cry where you need just as over the top screeching guitars.

Did you not think that that was a good twist tho? One minute youre fighting the covenant, who are smart, use cover, tactics, etc, then all of a sudden its a fight for survival and both covenant and humas alike are overwhelmed by the flood? It gave you balls out blasting a la doom with the flood, and more tactical gunplay like HL with the covenant

Yeah see your point retro the flood were pretty dumb alright but I thought it was cool the way they were introuduced alienesque style plus the fact as oubliette has stated it did seem humans and covenant were overwhelmed and gave you sense you were the last thing to stand up to the flood.
    Does anybody know why the master chief was not effected by the flood I.E no turning into one of them???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

event wrote:
    aye, heaven forbid a 'journalist' gives an overhyped game a high score

thats never happened, has it?

I'm aware that some journalists can also get caught up in the hype machine like us 'mortals,' but..
    event wrote:
    but bear in mind all these guys are professional journalists
    I wouldn't buy a game on the review of just one site/magazine etc, that's why I said all of these guys..

That's a hell of a lot of journalists getting caught up in the 'hype,' woudn't you agree?

Or maybe the best reviews are obviously drawn form Games forums posters, where their non professional stance as games journalists leads to a more non biased review? ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah see your point retro the flood were pretty dumb alright but I thought it was cool the way they were introuduced alienesque style plus the fact as oubliette has stated it did seem humans and covenant were overwhelmed and gave you sense you were the last thing to stand up to the flood.
    Does anybody know why the master chief was not effected by the flood I.E no turning into one of them???

I did like how they were introduced, very effective, it was fighting them that was the problem. I just found them boring to fight against. It felt like a serious sam clone(I still think that Doom is the only game that has done this type of FPS well) and thats a game I found really boring unless played in co-op.

Advertisement