Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halo 3 - Hugely disappointing?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,699 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dammit this feedback is getting quite positive.
    [moral dilemma] Can I give into the hype machine and actually buy it, or stick to my guns and shun Master Chief? [/moral dilemma]
    *wanders off too check if there are any tradable games stinking up the collection*
    :(

I agree that the flood were annoying to fight but they are an integral part of the story. In many cases I would run by them where I could to avoid fighting them or have them jumping at you from stupidly long distances.

I much prefered fighting the elites and I thought the in-fighting in halo2 was a nice twist. It will be interesting to see how tough the brutes are in halo3, I have a feeling they will be a little easier because they are going to be one of the staple baddies. It is also reassuring to read that the grunts will be better too because killing them was almost like a formality in the first two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Got a copy today (really can't say where from though, really sorry). Played a few hours on heroic and am really enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Got a copy today (really can't say where from though, really sorry). Played a few hours on heroic and am really enjoying it so far.

can i go to ur house :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Have played a couple of hours of it and its getting better and better. Easily out does Halo 1 and 2

• Advertisement

awhir wrote:

There is 2 copies and 3 360s here and all ;)

awhir wrote:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Here I am reading about it and you can play 2 copies at the same time, and if you're not you should be.

Look at me, I'm playing 2 games of Halo 3 at the same time!

Now that's showing off.

God I hate you so much;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Playing the game from start to finish first time in 4 player co-op should be great. :D

A-Trak wrote:
    Here I am reading about it and you can play 2 copies at the same time, and if you're not you should be.

Look at me, I'm playing 2 games of Halo 3 at the same time!

Now that's showing off.

God I hate you so much;)

Lol.. Nah, myself and my housemate both got copies.. Am semi gloating but not a complete **** like :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the computers ai when driving warthogs is the single worst thing of all time ever

it either a) drives around in circles or b) stops while youre having a massive weapon fired straight at you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

A-Trak wrote:

That's a hell of a lot of journalists getting caught up in the 'hype,' woudn't you agree?

Or maybe the best reviews are obviously drawn form Games forums posters, where their non professional stance as games journalists leads to a more non biased review? ;)

well considering this

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbx/halo2?q=halo%202

and it was a pile of ****e, so forgive me if i dont believe everything they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Halo 2 was not a pile of ****e. It redifined online console gaming and is still, to this day, the most played online console game and the standard against which all others are judged. The story telling in the single player portion was stunted and it may have graphically over-reached at times, but it was and still is, a great great game.

I think the reviews for Halo 3 speak for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,268 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

event wrote:
    well considering this

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbx/halo2?q=halo%202

and it was a pile of ****e, so forgive me if i dont believe everything they say
    they are only going on the 91 reviews that scored it on, so they are not asking you to believe them really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I don't believe anything I read in reviews anymore (Bioshock got glowing praise but I found it to be average at best). Halo has always been a series I've enjoyed so regardless of any faults that Halo 3 may have, I will still enjoy it. Just have to find someway to pass the time till Friday morning :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

DarkJager wrote:
    I don't believe anything I read in reviews anymore (Bioshock got glowing praise but I found it to be average at best). Halo has always been a series I've enjoyed so regardless of any faults that Halo 3 may have, I will still enjoy it. Just have to find someway to pass the time till Friday morning :D

.....it's out tomorrow, not Friday.

I know, but I won't be able to get it until Friday. Plus I have the day booked off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

anyone know if any shops in town would be likely to have any legendary editions for sale tomorrow? Im going in at 8am to see if i can grab one anywhere :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Halo 2 was not a pile of ****e. It redifined online console gaming and is still, to this day, the most played online console game and the standard against which all others are judged. The story telling in the single player portion was stunted and it may have graphically over-reached at times, but it was and still is, a great great game.

I think the reviews for Halo 3 speak for themselves.

Halo 2 was over rated big style. I didn't even bother finishing the campaign because it was just so boring. Having played the MP Beta of Halo 3 there are better mutli-player fps games currently out. R6: Vegas is better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Vegeta wrote:
    R6: Vegas is better

Ah right. That's a scientific fact is it or opinion?

I like FPS but I couldn't get into Rainbow 6 at all. Doesn't mean it's crap. Just means I don't like it.

• Advertisement

R6 is a game, where unless you are pretty skilled, you will get butchered online. I think that turns many people away from it.

Halo on the other hand, is just good solid fun when you play online. There aren't as many tactics needed as in R6 and people playing it are just playing for fun. In R6, players sometimes get too tactical and believe they are actually in the military :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

0ubliette wrote:
    anyone know if any shops in town would be likely to have any legendary editions for sale tomorrow? Im going in at 8am to see if i can grab one anywhere :D

Unfortunately, the helmet won't fit your cat/dog/baby brother, as everyone had hoped. IGN did an insightful piece on it.

On Halo 3, I've played both the previous Halo's, I was distinctly underwhelmed by the single player campaign in both of them, so I'm going into Halo 3 expecting an atrocious single player campaign. That way, whatever happens, I won't be disappointed. :D

At the end of the day, the meat and two veg of Halo is the multiplayer though, and I was impressed by the Beta, purely because it was enjoyble. Graphics count for very little in multiplayer as long as it's smooth, imho.

So come Wednesday night, I'll be sitting down after work, muting my TV and headset (or taking full advantage of the arsehole button), and enjoying the finest console multiplayer since Goldeneye.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Helix wrote:
    the computers ai when driving warthogs is the single worst thing of all time ever

it either a) drives around in circles or b) stops while youre having a massive weapon fired straight at you

Its no great but works some times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

jaysus, the fanboys are out in force

just cos loads of people play it, doesnt make it good.
    Millions buy westlife albums, doesnt mean they are good, does it?

it was a poor unfinished game. If they meant it as an online game, they should have released just that. instead, they overhyped it and sold a pup.

And it doesnt wash with me saying that its good online. it should be both.
    If it wants to be the game for the 360, it has to have an amazing offline and online element.

I hope it does, i really do, but i have my doubts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

event wrote:
    And it doesnt wash with me saying that its good online. it should be both.

Warhawk seems to be doing pretty well for a multiplayer only game. It's quite an enjoyable play too. Bungie can't be faulted for focussing the majority of their labour on the part that most people are going to buy the game for. Riding the crest of the multiplayer wave before it crashes, as it were. As long as the loose ends of storyline are tied up, and I get a bit of a feel for the guns, the campaign experience would be worthwhile for me.

Just as a frame of reference, generally speaking, I would always play an impressive and enjoyable single player game over games like R6V, GoW or Counterstrike, which are more multiplayer-centric, but I'm willing to make the splash with Halo 3. This is because I had such a good time playing Halo 2 and the Halo 3 Beta on Xbox Live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Gizzle wrote:
    enjoying the finest console multiplayer since Goldeneye.

Here here!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

BIOSHOCK :d

People keep name dropping Bioshock, but to be honest, that game was a major let down after all the hype. Nothing to be shouting about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

DarkJager wrote:
    People keep name dropping Bioshock, but to be honest, that game was a major let down after all the hype. Nothing to be shouting about.

Ingenuity. No FPS is worth shouting about but this certainly took a different angle. It was fresh and invigorating and personally I refound my love of gaming while playing it.....something which Halo2 took away from me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

DarkJager wrote:

Hey I was quite disappointed by BioShock ... good game but very over rated (just like Halo)

The best FPS of all time, Half Life, was probably so great because it came out of no where.

Advertisement