Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

not carrying licence?

Options
  • 20-09-2007 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

What is the penalty / fine for not carrying a drivers licence with you whilst driving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

1 point last time I checked...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Link jhegarty?

I cant see it on the penalty list at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Eoin087

Nothing...No fine and no point(s), if you don't have it the gard will give you ten days to produce it at a station of your choice. If you produce it within the 10 days then nothing happens, but if you don't you get a court summons. There are 60+ offences which carry points, only 36 are operational.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

I got stopped on a motorbike (breaking lights) with no licence on me and the Garda said he was going to summons me for that but I knew that was BS. If you don't have it they generally just ask you more questions, don't give cheek.

I rarely have mine at all because of the stupid size of it, if it fit in my wallet like a credit card then I'd carry it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Eoin087 wrote:
    Nothing...No fine
    :confused: Not according to the FAQs on www.penaltypoints.ie

Q. Is there a requirement to carry my driving licence with me?

A. Yes. Since 1 January 2003 it is an offence for any person to drive without being in a position to produce their licence on request from a Garda. It is also an offence to fail to submit a licence within 10 days to a Garda station where so requested. At present penalty points do not apply to this offence. In the meantime it will be an offence under the Road Traffic Acts attracting a maximum fine on conviction of €800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Eoin087

:confused: Not according to the FAQs on www.penaltypoints.ie

Q. Is there a requirement to carry my driving licence with me?

A. Yes. Since 1 January 2003 it is an offence for any person to drive without being in a position to produce their licence on request from a Garda. It is also an offence to fail to submit a licence within 10 days to a Garda station where so requested. At present penalty points do not apply to this offence. In the meantime it will be an offence under the Road Traffic Acts attracting a maximum fine on conviction of €800.
    That's if it's not produced. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Eoin087 wrote:
    That's if it's not produced. :p

It is an offence if you don't produce it at the side of the road when requested by a garda. Not the most heinous of crimes mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Keith186 wrote:
    I rarely have mine at all because of the stupid size of it, if it fit in my wallet like a credit card then I'd carry it.
    Fold it - it's not rocket science!

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

How long is it going to take the government to introduce CC style licenses? Yes, you can fold it when it's not in it's cover and stick it in your wallet but you're supposed to have it for 10 years. It's not going to last 10 months folded in your wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Mine has lasted 6 years folded so far no prob.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement