Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistachio nuts

• 20-09-2007 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

God they're good. Who's with me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

yeah they're super.

down points are they are messy, and expensive.

Lidl do a fine value big bag however.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I like them, but they're a lot of effort. And the ones that you can't open frustrate the hell out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

They're fine, but Brazil nuts are the nicest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I also love pistachios but as well as being expensive (why are nuts so expensive, especially pine nuts.. do we not have trees with nuts on them here?) they are very fattening. ooh, I have some in the cupboard I'm off for a snack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Cashews ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

love em, but as someone said they are a lot of effort, if they were sold shelled it would be great, does anyone know if they are ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

MooseJam wrote:
    love em, but as someone said they are a lot of effort, if they were sold shelled it would be great, does anyone know if they are ?

Think I saw these in M&S.
    M&S often do that with food... bringing it down to the most basic level... you'll probably have to 'shell out' for it though! :D
    I like shelling them meself. Guess it gives me that sense of hunting and preparing food from our great ancestors. RROOAAR!!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

wyndham wrote:
    Cashews ftw.
    I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Oh pistachios I love them. In Italy this year tried pistachio gelato Yum. Ice cream with lumps of pistachios in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Peterpocketman

Im a big lover of nuts, the main 2 being pistashio and Cashew (not mad on peanuts unless im on the lash) pistashio milkshake that I tried in ENgland. heaven

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Pistachio nuts are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I like them. pour out a plate of the little fellas and then pour a packet of king crisps (or "crips", if you are so inclined) and ennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnjoy.

king and pistachio
    king and pistachio
    go together like a beard and moustachio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I like postachios, but yeah, the effort means I'd usually just open a bag of Cashews instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

for the lazy people- just go to the asian shops- they have them ready shelled!- I dont know why more do not do this, most nuts come unshelled. And they can be dirt cheap there, maybe €12 per kilo, but you have to buy a kilo- and once bought you fire through them, at least the shells slow you down- most nuts are 50%+ fat 600kcal+ per 100g.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Does anyone lick the shell yummmmmy:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

I love pistachio and cashew nuts. And i love licking the shell too. Yum

Yesterday i found cashew nut butter in a health food shop. I couldn't find pistachio nut butter though. Don't know if it exists but im checking the internet for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

lisajane wrote: »
    Yesterday i found cashew nut butter in a health food shop. I couldn't find pistachio nut butter though. Don't know if it exists but im checking the internet for it.

Fancy peanut butters can be really expensive. You can get cashews for about €8 per kilo in tescos. Just liquidise them and you have peanut butter- thats all peanut butter is. Some brands have a dash of oil in too to make it more spreadable. Also you can see the whole nuts going in, while in peanut butters I expect it is the just small broken bits of peanuts that go into it, and odd looking ones that couldnt be sold whole..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

king and pistachio
    king and pistachio
    go together like a beard and moustachio

Haha :D I like your little song. Is it yours? Can I use it?

I like to suck the shells myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I had a pistachio curry once (like a korma but with pistachios replacing the almonds). MMMm...

M&S sell a bag of chili and coriander flavoured shelled pistachio nuts, but it is pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

God I love pistachios! Have all my friends addicted to them too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

texas star wrote: »
    Does anyone lick the shell yummmmmy:D

It's impossible not to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I hate our Polish friends who introduced myself and the missus to them! I had never tried a pistachio nut until about 18 months ago and now they are a regular addition to our cupboard.
    They are insanely addictive. Tesco do a good value pack. The Lidl ones are cheaper but the Tesco brand ones are far tastier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Cashew nuts are also good, but if I was to be stuck on a desert island and only allowed one or the other, I'd definitely go with the pistachios.

I think I'll go to the shop now and buy a pack of each...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I had pistachio ice cream before. and it was green. and it tasted yummy. can i have some more please?

Advertisement