Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

6 Months to pay VRT?

Options
  • 20-09-2007 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

im looking at bringing in a car from the uk. when buying a car from the uk, are you allowed to drive it here for a certain period before you have to pay vrt? ive heard that you can drive it for 6 months and then you have to pay it? any info appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You have 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You have six months if you have owned it in the UK for the previous six months.
    Otherwise, I think 24 hours is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 prem_vw

tdc wrote:
    im looking at bringing in a car from the uk. when buying a car from the uk, are you allowed to drive it here for a certain period before you have to pay vrt? ive heard that you can drive it for 6 months and then you have to pay it? any info appreciated.

thanks

I believe it has to be paid the next working day, but if you are stopped with it after a few days in the country the Gardai normally just tell you to get it cleared ASAP. If you are driving around in it for months though it could be seized from you by the customs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

You have 24 hours to clear it officially. And they're clamping down on this big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Anan1 wrote:
    You have 24 hours.
    :eek:

thanks guys, good to know:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Weird i was just talking about this today. Bloke in work had a call from his mate this morning, he'd had a civic over for about 5 weeks and got caught at a checkpoint near tullamore this morning. Cops took the car and he's getting fined a percentage of the market value+ VRT :O

Apparantly you're supposed to bring em straight to the tax office off the boat...

In my opinion you would be very unlucky to get caught. I drove on uk plates for around 5 months with no hassle and still would be only for im living in the uk now. Most of my friends are driving on uk plates no hassle aswell. I even know of a guy that got warned by the customs a few months ago to reg his car and he is still on uk plates. I do think the part of the country you are driving in makes a difference though you probably wouldnt be as safe around dublin or the border counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

No real benefit in waiting around I've found. VRT can seek proof of import and calculate VRT back to that date.

There does seem to be a bit of leeway beyond 24 hours though.

TJJP wrote:
    No real benefit in waiting around I've found. VRT can seek proof of import and calculate VRT back to that date.

I dont think they can make you pay vrt back to a date. For a start vrt is calculated on the day you show up to vrt it so I think it cant be back dated and also it would be difficult to prove when the car was actually brought into the country espically if you can register the car at a friends/relations house in the uk. You also have the advantage of not paying irish road tax and you cant be done for speeding if caught on a camera while on uk plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You also have the advantage of not paying irish road tax and you cant be done for speeding if caught on a camera while on uk plates.
    This may be fine if you don't get caught. And people do get caught.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

TJJP wrote:

Decent benefit depending on the value of the car - I waited 6 months, the VRT went down by over 100 for each month, and the road tax would have been 120 per month too.

esel wrote:
    This may be fine if you don't get caught. And people do get caught.

Exactly. I mean, they can confiscate your car! It's not worth taking the risk.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

How much is the fine lads?

iirc several thousand.
    But they have the power to confiscate your vehicle, as in - get out of the car sir, we are impounding your vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

In my opinion you would be very unlucky to get caught. .. I do think the part of the country you are driving in makes a difference though you probably wouldnt be as safe around dublin or the border counties.

well I bought a car in NI two weeks ago - Saturday, and cleared it on the Monday. On Wed, a garda commented to me - and I had never mentioned anything about it to him - 'you didn't take long to re-reg the car'.........so, they are watching, and there's a crackdown in Galway now too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The crackdown is huge. One thread recently here on boards had a story where there was a car transporter at a checkpoint loading impounded vehicles to be taken away!

Advertisement