Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking into doing an Acturial Degree in College

Options
  • 20-09-2007 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to take a course in Actuary next year and I'm wondering, where should I go? The two courses I am considering are UCD and DCU:
    UCD - DN020 Actuarial and Financial Studies
    DCU - DC126 Financial & Acturial Mathematics

I'm basing my decision on two main areas:
    1. Course Quality in General. (Which is more Comprehensive? Exemptions?)
    2. Employer's Prefrence to Graduates. (UCD or DCU)

By the way, does anybody know in what year the DCU Acturial course was first started?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

which one has the highest points?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

I'm about to start in DCU and from what I heard in UCD, it sounds easier to get on well in DCU because they take attendances in lectures etc so it keeps you on your toes. I was talking to a few insurance companies too and apparently they've a fantastic relation with DCU. DCU students get more honours degrees statistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Isn't it 560 in UCD..are you capable of that? Ask in the DCU and UCD forums, look up any course outlines on their websites, ask them to post out more information, ask at the open days. Then consider which of the colleges is easier to get to or eh you'd enjoy more. There's a huge difference in points I think..DCU one is relatively low.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

This year it was 490 in DCU & 555 in UCD. I'm also thinking of doing one of them, sort of inclining towards DCU at the moment on the basis that it's supposed to be a bit of a nightmare getting accomodation at UCD as you don't know until you get in whether you'll get a spot on campus or not. I'd be interested to hear any other comments about either course though!

Getting information about it on UCD open day is a joke, they simply don't have any. That was my experience. Accomodation in DCU is easier as you're guaranteed a place on campus with over 500 points. DCU was 490 points but the average points is a good bit higher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I just started AFS in UCD and I'm really enjoying it. From what they told us it offers the most exemptions (provided you do a good degree obviously). I think it'll be hard to find out from either college which one is better though as each will try and pimp their own wares.

From my understanding the course in UCD is a bit broader which is important to keep your options open and not be on a single track to one career.
    jennyq wrote:
    bit of a nightmare getting accomodation at UCD as you don't know until you get in whether you'll get a spot on campus or not.
    I live in dublin so this wasn't an issue for me, but all the people in my class from outside of Dublin who applied for accomodation got it.

It may also be worth remembering that the offer accomodation preference to high-point students, but it is a bit ridiculous that you don't find out until so late.

Sean_K wrote:
    I just started AFS in UCD and I'm really enjoying it. From what they told us it offers the most exemptions (provided you do a good degree obviously). I think it'll be hard to find out from either college which one is better though as each will try and pimp their own wares.

From my understanding the course in UCD is a bit broader which is important to keep your options open and not be on a single track to one career.

I live in dublin so this wasn't an issue for me, but all the people in my class from outside of Dublin who applied for accomodation got it.

It may also be worth remembering that the offer accomodation preference to high-point students, but it is a bit ridiculous that you don't find out until so late.

Yeah, you're right about the colleges trying to pimp themselves but if you're from Leinster, its pretty unheard of to get accommodation in UCD as they use the commuting excuse. If you get 600 or so you're apparently guaranteed apparently.

Oh would you mind listing out the exemptions please, just as a point of comparison?

Well AFAIK it's all of the Core technical Examinations and one of the Core Aplications. I don't have a list of the subjects, but I have a set of examinations from a few years back. As far as I know the system has changed since then but here's a list of the exam papers that I have.

101-Statistical Modelling
    102-Financial Mathematics
    103-Stochastic Modelling
    104-Survival Models
    105-Actuaral Maths 1
    106-Actuarial Maths 2
    107-Economics
    108-Finance and Financial Reporting
    109-Financial Economics
    (the 100 series corresponds with the Core Technical Examinations of the new system, so these would be more or less the examptions.)

The rest of the exams were as follows:
    201-Communications

301-Investment and Asset Managment
    302-Life Insurance
    303-General Insurance
    304-Pensions and Other Benefits

401-UK Fellowship Investment
    402-UK Fellowship Life Insurance
    403-UK Fellowship General Insurance
    404-UK Fellowship Pensions
    (you only do one exam from the 400 series)

AFAIK, all of the core modules are offered in DCU too, but I'm not too sure.

The names of the modules aren't quite the same though. Here's a link if you're interested:
    http://www.dcu.ie/registry/module_contents.php?function=4&programme=FM

Are they strict with attendances etc?

In UCD no not at all, there's no attendance taken which is great because Economics is really a bit of a joke IMO so far any way, can't see myself bothering with all the lectures.

The only module where an atendance is actually taken for me is one of my electives, Algorithmic Problem Solving and even in that its jut for administrative reasons. There's no marks for attendance.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's the difference between UCD and DCU. They take attendance in DCU and I'm the type of person who can't really miss out on things as I'm not great on catching up. So I'm happy with the DCU method.

Economics looks a joke alright, especially having done in Leaving Cert. We've no tutorials though for it which is weird.

You wont need them if my course is anything to go by. Everything we've covered so far (macroeconomics this semester) I've either known already or would've been able to work out, and I didn't do economics for LC.

Are assessments consist of a 25 question multiple choice mid-term test and a 50 question final multiple choice exam at christmas. Judging by the sample questions we've been given, I could sit the exams right now no bother at all.

Yeah, but the exemption exam could be tougher. Ours aren't multiple choice btw. Any idea where one could see them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Sean_K wrote:
    In UCD no not at all, there's no attendance taken which is great because Economics is really a bit of a joke IMO so far any way, can't see myself bothering with all the lectures.

Lol yeah I have missed half my macroeconomics lectures so far! I'm doing commerce and chinese studies. Its a serious joke. And the lectures drives me crazy! I don't like those perky people, that early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Sorry I was away for the last two days and couldn't reply.
    which one has the highest points?
    UCD at 555 MIN and 580 Average.
    Isn't it 560 in UCD..are you capable of that?
    If it is worth the points, I'll get the points. I'm capable of gettting the A1 in Maths HL.
    Ask in the DCU and UCD forums
    Why would I do that. I'm looking for unbiased advice here. Would you go into UCD and ask the actuary professor if DCU is better?
    Then consider which of the colleges is easier to get to
    Both are in Dublin and I'm from Mayo.
    jennyq wrote:
    it's supposed to be a bit of a nightmare getting accomodation at UCD
    Very valid point!
    carlowboy wrote:
    Getting information about it on UCD open day is a joke, they simply don't have any.
    Talked to them at Higher Options and the info was pretty poor. Campus life seems great though.
    Sean_K wrote:
    each will try and pimp their own wares
    Like I said above.

Thanks for the advice.

To be honest, it depends on what type of person you are. If you're the type who will miss out on lectures or study due to laziness or whatever, go to DCU as they'll give you a kick up the arse.

carlowboy wrote:
    To be honest, it depends on what type of person you are. If you're the type who will miss out on lectures or study due to laziness or whatever, go to DCU as they'll give you a kick up the arse.
    Post of the week!

You being sarcastic? You that type?

alan4cult wrote:
    Post of the week!
    ?
    alan4cult wrote:
    Like I said above.
    ? you sure you said that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nrg411

what about the financial maths degree in UCG? Im thinkin bout doin that nxt yr. it sounds good and the points are really low so youre guaranteed a place nearly. is it much worse than the dublin ones or is it just not as popular but still good quality?

• Advertisement

It's not an Actuarial degree. Only DCU and UCD do them.

carlowboy wrote:
    It's not an Actuarial degree. Only DCU and UCD do them.
    but u still get exemptions from ct1 ct3 and ct7 and you do economics so thats a big part of the exemption stuff too. they said at last years open day that threll be more exemptions in next few years too. but yeah not exactly a pure actuarial degree i suppose.

What are the maths requirements?

carlowboy wrote:
    What are the maths requirements?

HC3 it says in the prospectus

HB3 for DCU and UCD. You'd need the B3 at the very least too. I guess you could do a post grad for it after doing that course though.

carlowboy wrote:
    You being sarcastic? You that type?
    Sean_k wrote:
    ?
    No I'm fairly diligent, it's just the the post made my laugh!
    Sean_k wrote:
    ? you sure you said that...
    alan4cult wrote:
    Why would I do that. I'm looking for unbiased advice here. Would you go into UCD and ask the actuary professor if DCU is better?
    Maybe I didn't say it very directly but each college is going to promote itself.

nrg411 wrote:
    what about the financial maths degree in UCG? Im thinkin bout doin that nxt yr. it sounds good and the points are really low so youre guaranteed a place nearly. is it much worse than the dublin ones or is it just not as popular but still good quality?
    I was talking to UCG at Higher Options and they hadn't a clue, they just sent me away and fobbed me off telling me that I have to ring this guy to find the info. I didn't need to go all the way to Dublin to be told that. We have phones in Mayo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I was talking about asking people in the UCD and DCU forums on boards. They're students, they don't have a vested interest in attracting you to the college and some of them probably do the degree..

I was talking about asking people in the UCD and DCU forums on boards. They're students, they don't have a vested interest in attracting you to the college and some of them probably do the degree..

In fairness, they [we] would.

• Advertisement

Yes, I agree they are not college promoters but they still have chosen one college above the other. There are reasons for this and I'm trying to find these reasons out here. No UCD student is doing an actuary degree at DCU at the same as they're doing an actuary degree in UCD and vice versa. Therefore I would need to post in both UCD and DCU forums and compare the two threads whereas if I use the middleman (LC Forum sorry!) I can see both opinons on the same thread and not biased toward a particular college. Also, if I were to talk to a student from a college I would prefer to talk in person.

Advertisement